What's new

Daimoku mantra temporarily eased my migraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squanch72

Kava Vendor
Had a nice experience last night on my drive home from work so I thought I would share. I was listening to this podcast yesterday:
This crazy fall weather has been extra brutal for my migraines, so I was suffering all day with brain fog and a headache and no medicine I threw at it was working. I found the mantra kind of interesting and it sort of reminded me of Tuvan throat singing. Plus I like a lot of droning music like Tortoise and Sleep. I am also trying to learn how to meditate. So on the drive home I turned off the depressing NPR that I usually listen to and gave the chant a go. I did it the whole way, 30 minutes, different pitches, and different speeds. Well my mind was clear, the drive was simple, and the funny thing was my migraine eased up.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Namu_Myōhō_Renge_Kyō
I think the reason it helped my migraine was that it changed my breathing pattern, because after I came home the pain in my temples came back. I have tried oxygen therapy for my migraines and that had the same effect. It worked great while the oxygen was pumping in but as soon as I stopped the migraine came back. The temporary relief was still lovely.
It was also the most non-thought interrupting meditation I have had yet. It reminded me of driving a motorcycle, the steady hum of the engine, but having no other thoughts then paying enough attention to the road to stay safe as you are taking in the beauty of nature you as you drive.

gaia.tree

Kava Curious
Great! Mantra chanting is one of my favorite meditations. I love taking a long walk in the woods and chanting the whole time.

Status
Not open for further replies.