What's new

dandruff or dermopathy

ThePiper

Kava Lover
I havent had dandruff in years and after drinking4-6 tbs. Of grog a day for almost a month I am getting serious dandruff. Is this from the kava or coincidence? I dont have any other itchy or dry spots but there are tons of little dander dots coming off when I scratch its pretty severe but not like typical flakes just tiny dots all over my scalp

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
I think it's probably a mild case of dermo. I've had oily skin like forever (since before I was born). After being a regular kava user, my skin is now super dry (really weird). I've had flaky on my scalp, face, arms, legs, stomach, back. It doesn't really bother me too much, unless it gets bad enough to start to itch. Then it's almost like a mild case of poison ivy or oak, and drives me crazy.

R

Rookietwoshoes

I think kava causes wrinkles, frankly. Dry , dehydrated skin is a playground for premature aging. I've definitely noticed a difference since I've started drinking.

Bubba Bula

krunkadelic relic
I'm going through dermo right now, and amlactin does wonders for your body, but if you have hair like I do you can't put amlactin on your head. Does anyone have a shampoo or something that will get rid of the dermo on my scalp? Right now when I bend my head back can feel the dead & dry skin piling up above the nape on my neck. Feels really weird. I can imagine the skin coming off in sheets pretty soon. Maybe if it snows outside no one will notice.

violet

Do all things with love
A shampoo with salicylic acid might help the skin slough off quicker. Here's a list. There's also some scalp application products that contain salicylic acid which may be helpful, Dermarest makes one that can be found at Walmart.

August West

Kava Enthusiast
If it is dandruff, nizoral(ketoconazole 1-2%) is the only dandruff shampoo that has ever worked for me. It's also known for preserving a thinning hairline. The smell from coal tar shampoo reminds me of moth balls and old people.

Ryanakamal

Kava Curious
crazy but as a sufferer of really really dry skin and have presciption hcortissone https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/meds/a682793.html that i get when ze weather gives the cold shoulder. i havent used it infact as i feel i get more dehydrated overal the patches that need that as prescibed as well as my acne kind of dissapear. i trade more peepee instead of smelly ointment anyday heh.
my best guess would be that my normally hyperactive immune system somehow gets distracted, hope this helps X

Bubba Bula

krunkadelic relic
A shampoo with salicylic acid might help the skin slough off quicker. Here's a list. There's also some scalp application products that contain salicylic acid which may be helpful, Dermarest makes one that can be found at Walmart.
Thanks @violet
I picked up the Walgreens brand listed in the link - been using it a couple of days - hope it works.

kilakila

Kava keeps me going.
Anyone try Vitamin A & D cream for dermo? You know, the diaper rash ointment? We have a ton of the stuff in our warehouse so I "borrowed" some to see if it works for what I think is a little bit of dermo on the side of my hands (hard to tell, could be just old age) It feels good actually and does take away the look of the dry skin. Whether it works at taking away the derma, time will tell.

Claire

Hi guys! I know this is an old post, but I just joined the forum and wanted to chime in. I started taking Kava three weeks ago to replace alcohol (micronized from Bula Kava, 2-3 tablespoons) and after doing this 4 - 5 nights a week I developed sudden severe dandruff and dry scalp... itching like crazy and flakes everywhere. I'd never had this condition before and am pretty sure it's the Kava. I stopped drinking it a few days ago and my skin has already improved dramatically. I really loved the feeling I got from Kava and felt excited to have a healthy alcohol replacement. I'm not sure if I should try other forms of preparation or cut down my consumption to only once or twice a week or if my body is just allergic to the herb. :(

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Hi guys! I know this is an old post, but I just joined the forum and wanted to chime in. I started taking Kava three weeks ago to replace alcohol (micronized from Bula Kava, 2-3 tablespoons) and after doing this 4 - 5 nights a week I developed sudden severe dandruff and dry scalp... itching like crazy and flakes everywhere. I'd never had this condition before and am pretty sure it's the Kava. I stopped drinking it a few days ago and my skin has already improved dramatically. I really loved the feeling I got from Kava and felt excited to have a healthy alcohol replacement. I'm not sure if I should try other forms of preparation or cut down my consumption to only once or twice a week or if my body is just allergic to the herb. :(
Micronized gives most people dermopathy quicker and harsher. Doing traditional prep, with a good strainer gives you a bit more leeway. I use a 100 micron nylon strainer bag.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Agreed. Try out the medium grind kavas with a proper strainer, and your dermo problems should clear up steadily.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Micronized gives most people dermopathy quicker and harsher. Doing traditional prep, with a good strainer gives you a bit more leeway. I use a 100 micron nylon strainer bag.
Yes micronized was giving me dermo problems too, but I switched to instant and also added some coconut oil to my diet (as recommended by @Edward), and now I'm doing pretty good.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin