What's new

Day or Night?

Blinkyrocket

Kava Enthusiast
Simple, low priority question for anybody who has input. I'm gonna try it anyway but am wondering, might trying kava at night change my experience for the better? That's how it's been traditionally consumed anyway.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
I can only enjoy it in the evening, when I'm not active.
Daytime sessions feel kinda feel off to me and the associated daytime activity will typically create more nausea when I try it. I have enjoyed some light lawena during a daytime hike in the mountains that was pretty blissful, but there was still unease in my stomach and would have rather been floating on a magic carpet.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Night time only for me. Drinking kava during the day is usually reserved for some critical situations like I'm sick or my back is going out and I need it medicinally. I try to remain as clear headed during the day as possible, but waking up at 4:15AM only allows that to such an extent....like...barely.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Night because I generally fall asleep sooner or later after kava and would just feel sluggish if I drank it during the day. I have had small doses of pouni ono during the day and been fine though. I find night drinking just fits in nicely with my day, breakfast early, lunch any time between 12 and 4 then 3 or 4 hours later hit the kava.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
Here's my ideal Kava strategy if I'm flying solo:

Wake up at 6:00 and prepare/go to work
Eat a light but filling breakfast, coffee
11:30 eat lunch, usually a soup or a salad, something light
Go home at 3:00, choose Kava to drink, fill up AluBalls/kneading bag
3:30 drink first shell (large) of Kava
Drink a shell every 15 to 30 minutes
6:00 PM eat dinner, this usually potentiates the Kava a bit, though my appetite might be suppressed depending on the Kava
Stop drinking Kava at 8:00 PM and wind down with a movie, TV show, book, or audiobook
Asleep by 10:00

If I'm krunking with other people, it's generally a nighttime activity 6-11 or 6-12
If I'm super stressed and anxious I'll drink Kava no matter what time it is, though I can't remember ever drinking Kava in the early morning

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
There is something wonderful in waking up bright and early and preparing a couple cups of Lawena, I don't do it too much anymore, but a few months ago when my anxiety was higher, it was the only way to roll through my day.

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
I usto have a scheduale of 1030 am kava start
I would wake up around 745 am somehow get to work by like 8am ish .
Eat around 830
Wait till about 1030 and have kava then have lunch around 1 pm ..

Sadly the appetite suppression really started getting to me
so I gave up waiting after food to have kava except when my tummy is obviously to full...
I use this basic mechanism .
If I can imagine eating more food and actually sounds good .. I can have kava on top ...
If food sounds gross then no kava lol.

So now I just don't think about the food to kava thing .. if I'm hungry I eat and if I want some kava I'll have some .. if it doesn't work I'll wait a little longer.

Oh yah this is about night and day.
Well I have my kava in the am almost every day still sometimes even around 8 am 9 am
as long as I don't get krunk and I eat good I can stay motivated but ultimately I definitley do better at work without kava if I'm not excessivley anxious like krunky pointed out .
Haha

Ultimately though best case Ontario .. kava is a night time thing
Even the darkness outside just helps create an "inner space" for kava to shine

Light pulls your consciousness outward into the world. when there is no light , consciousness is left with itself and returns to itself.
Kava loves the return as dynamic as it is.

moff000

Kava Enthusiast
Mostly a night time affair for me also. Although i have had the odd teaspoon of instant during the day if it's been hectic! That seems to add serenity!

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
Yeah when I started kava is was transition from K@ which I used as a motivater for work and mood lift. obviously bad idea.
Kava then was the hero ... but the scheduale has kind of remained from the inertia I had from K@.
I rememeber when I first switched to yerba mate and it was so nice at first that I didn't want kava at work anymore. I started drinking kava after work and then smoking cannabis which I have always gone back and forth with since I have been conscious of my existence (started when I was like 12)
I finally was able to only smoke once at night time and I truly think that's the most effective . (either smoke it first thing when waking up or last thing.. somehow works better than mid day. )

Somewhere along the line it didn't stay that way. I'm now using kava in the am and so after work usually gets put to cannabis then night time both lol.

But really I think part of recovery is learning to not be intoxicated all day everyday in some way.
Kava is much more benevolent then cannabis is this respect, weed is probrably the only thing I truly find tough to regulate myself (If I smoke it though only )

Squanch72

Kava Vendor
Mostly early evening after work. But I love a good weekend morning session. Seems to really hit then since my belly is so empty and the house is quiet so I can really listen to the kava before the family gets out of bed.