What's new

Dealing with kava dermo?

kavasam

Kava Curious
I've used kava for years, the last several years heavily like 2 or 3 times daily, 7 days a week. It looks like I have a case of dermo.

Other than quitting or cutting back neither of which appeal to me, is there anything to take to lessen the symptoms?

I noticed one post on here where someone used Fumitory and it helped a lot. Any thoughts on that?

Any tips on how to manage it otherwise?

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I've used kava for years, the last several years heavily like 2 or 3 times daily, 7 days a week. It looks like I have a case of dermo.

Other than quitting or cutting back neither of which appeal to me, is there anything to take to lessen the symptoms?

I noticed one post on here where someone used Fumitory and it helped a lot. Any thoughts on that?

Drink more electrolytes, use a lotion called Amlactin and sometimes taking a few days off is better and needed.

kavasam

Kava Curious
I've used a version of toss and wash for a long long time. I used to kneed, then did blender for a while, then aluball. Didn't like any of them. My method is way cheaper, very quick and gets the same results as a good kneed or blender. With as much as I take, I couldn't afford instant. I also couldn't afford blender or kneeding any more with my quantity. Back then I was using about 6 tablespoons per dose and a couple times a week. Now I only have to use 2. It's strong enough this way that if they're rounded sometimes I get double vision and the staggers. Neither of which I like.

Last edited:

ThePiper

Kava Lover
I’ve been taking hyaluronic acid from a reputable site for dermo and it seems to have a noticeable effect when combined with my nightly lotion routine. I still have some dry skin but it doesn’t itch, burn or flake up like it did and no styes since I began the regiment 2-3 months ago. My hands still look like I work a hard labor job but all of the unpleasant side effects are mostly gone and my stomach and arms dont shed embarrassing dandruff!

kavasam

Kava Curious
What nightly lotion? I read that oil based products like sesame oil work better than lotions because they mimick skin composition better.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Thanks. I'll look into both.
Just be careful some lotions like amlactin (and others that contain alpha-hydroxy acid (AHA)) can make your skin sun sensitive and you can get a sunburn with minor exposure. It works great because the acid helps get rid of the dry and dead skin. If you are looking to just moisturize coconut oil and/or aloe lotions work best for me. I have also recently started stealing my wife's Almond Shower Oil - which is fantastic (https://www.ulta.com/p/almond-shower-oil-pimprod2016153).

Shaq194

Kava Curious

Try keto

kavasam

Kava Curious
I started taking 600 mg of Resveratrol by Simply Organics which has a lot more stuff in it besides Resveratrol. Also 20 gm of Collegen and using Baobab Oil mixed with a lotion on the affected places. Much better now, just shows up around my ankles.

DrJknows

Kava Curious
I've used a version of toss and wash for a long long time. I used to kneed, then did blender for a while, then aluball. Didn't like any of them. My method is way cheaper, very quick and gets the same results as a good kneed or blender. With as much as I take, I couldn't afford instant. I also couldn't afford blender or kneeding any more with my quantity. Back then I was using about 6 tablespoons per dose and a couple times a week. Now I only have to use 2. It's strong enough this way that if they're rounded sometimes I get double vision and the staggers. Neither of which I like.
TossNWash is almost your problem I bet. I got skin problems 1st when I was using a strainer that let too much pass thru. Micronized just added to it. Wish I'd never tried micronized.

I find switching strains regularly helps too. I only rarely drink Fijian kavas because the usually get my skin.

For skin, home blended oils, hyaluronic acid, GHK-Cu (copper peptide).

For prep, I use an aluball, 2 tbs, cold water, two washes, 300 mL & 200 mL, & shake as hard as I possibly can for 30 seconds at a time until the color/consistency is constant (1-3 min usually). This works as well as any of the many, many different ways to prep. I say this as a chemist.

Last edited:

kavasam

Kava Curious
Switching strains periodically is good, I'm on Kelai and Palarasul right now. Used to use Pouni Ono heavily. Loa Waka, Nambuwan and Stone sometimes. Maybe I'll try Aluball again at some point but it's more bother than my current method.

Kava Mike

Kava Curious
Just wanted to share with you all something I have discovered that is helping immensely.
I have used Amlactin in the past but it can oftentimes burn. This Aquaphor ointment doesn’t burn and it’s quite effective.

Attachments