What's new

Dealing with the diuretic effect of kava

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
What is the best way to deal with the diuretic effect of kava? I normally wash it down with a little bit of water, then drink some more water throughout the night (as I always do), but I'm wondering if this is the best way to do it.

JonT

Kava Enthusiast
I find it really variable. Sometimes there is no diuretic effect. However, I often tell a strong brew by how quickly I need to piss. Sometimes it works in 5 minutes. 
I don't recall ever getting too dehydrated, even on a massive session once, which was probably about 3 litres in less than an hour, I pissed a lot but never felt dehydrated (and I was boozing at the same time). I wonder if you drink that much, the sheer quantity of liquid compensates? But for smaller amounts, it forces you to piss more than you should without having any chance to make it up. This may be why I wake up in the middle of the night with a dry mouth after drinking 1-3 shells, but never had that problem after drinking up to 10.

Buddhacide

Kava Enthusiast
I often toss and wash, so I use less liquid and find I go to the bathroom much less. However, for some strains, isa in particular, I have to piss every hour all night long and dont get any sleep. Its horrible.

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
I have a 32 oz. stainless steel water bottle I keep topped off. When I drink kava I go through that maybe 2 or 3 times afterwords.

sentiententity

Kava Enthusiast
I drink gatorade to make sure I'm hydrated, and just keep peeing. I normally have to pee about twice as much as a normal person, and kava adds to that! Worth it.

krunkedout

Kava Lover
I find if I drink other liquids at the same time as kava than I will get sick just from to much liquid. So I will usually eat a meal after I finish the bowl and then have a glass of warm milk and enjoy the buzzing!

kl.terminvate

Kava Curious
Quite used to the diuretic effect. I take 3 other herb s that also have the diuretic effect, so I piss pretty much every hour of the day, if not more dependent on the session size of each herb.

I think the biggest thing is to drink a ton of water, I probably drink 6-8 liters a day. I believe that foods have enough sodium, and I usually take a potassium supplement, along with eating fruits that are high in potassium.

I think you could do yourself some serious injustice if you don't pay attention to the diuretic effects.

hyperdown

Kava Curious
A trick I use in certain situations is to take anti-diuretic supplements just before having kava. This helps reduce the bathroom visits a fair bit. Here is a list of the ones I know about:

Valerian root

Ginseng (panax)

Pumpkin seed extract + flower pollen extract

Licorice root

kl.bukukava

Kava Curious
wow you guys drink so much water. 3 thermos bottles in one night? I'd puke!

I literally have to choke down the glass or two of water I drink a day. Soda is the only thing that goes down "easy"

which is funny, i know, i know, because carbonated beverages should probably be more foreign to our bodies. lol.

I drank dried kava root in a warm tea before I decided to try taking kava more regularly. That was easy.

But taking it in luke warm water has proven pretty difficult to choke down. So I am "chasing" with fresh water now.

Which is, fine, i guess. lol. The horrible kava takes my mind off the horrible water real quick :p

I'm young. I dont think I should have any problems with frequent urination at my age, but I am. even before kava.

So I am trying my best to drink more flavored water. Plus, I am told e-cigarettes dehydrate me as well. O boy.

So I am definitely trying to drink more. Thats all I really can do. Drink up!

kl.Missy

I find drinking coconut water keeps the body hydrated and has a very high level of potassium.  One great way I deal with the not so pleasant taste of Kave is

I use Trader Joe's Stevia sweetened Low Cal Organic Lemonade and chase it with Clausthaler non-alchohol beer (it completely clears the palate)!  The Organic

Lemonade is the best product I've found to counter act the earthy, muddy, bitterness of the Kava that I find so difficult to swallow without having to hold my

breath~!  The beneficial effects of Kava have helped me so tremendously, that I don't mind enduring the taste, because it helps me so much.  I will drink Kava

for the rest of my life~  Kava has been a god send for me....

I drink plenty of water & always keep vitamin B up. Before sleep i have 2 Berocca (fizzy vit B tablets you put in water) & another in the morning. I keep more water up the next day.