What's new

Powdered Kava Review Deleted User's Rat Maze - Mystery Substance #7

Doobie Doo

How many shells to get to the center..1 2 3
Mixed this up. First thing I noticed was how pale it looked, perhaps even with a suggestion of a green tint. First gulp went down deceptively easy.. And that should of been of a sign to take it slow. But like a sailor listening to a siren's song, I convinced myself there was sanctuary there and dived right in. Taste was a touch grassy or piney, and very smooth and made me think of freshly mowed lawn. A very slight spice bite on the tongue /aftertaste. I probably could of guzzled it down quite easily.

15-20 minutes later, I was in it's embrace. More physical head and a some euphoric head: Heavy eyelids, blurry vision and stronger head pressure than I am normally used to. It built up strong, fast. Limbs and muscles relaxed nicely and felt myself drifting away to its siren voice. I was "ok" with it, but I did get a very gassy gut and a slight bit of nausea early on. It was nothing horrible and nothing a little ginger tea and some "inappropriate internal pressure relieving opportunities" couldn't' mitigate. I would of thought maybe the later effect was due to my prep method, but I have been using this method on other product and not getting those side effects, so I am pointing fingers at the product. You listening, #7? it's your fault (when in doubt always shift blame to substances that can't talk back). Other then that, it was fairly pleasant stuff, but very rough / strong. Needless to say, it was an earlier night then planned on, a very nice sound sleep (wife did say I snored like a bastard) and a slow, slow morning. Had a big meeting with the boss mid morning next day and was very surprised at how relaxed I was and how much I was still feeling some of the physicality of this stuff.

In conclusion: I would say, this is a kava best saved for very occasional night times when you really need the sleep (ie: it goes down easy and it hits heavy - better than a 2x4) and you don't mind paying with a few tolerable side effects.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted User01

You had me at rumbly gassy gut. Spend the night outside with the dogs did you? :D

verticity

I'm interested in things
My experience with this was also that there were noticeable effects the next day. The acute intoxication was a few hours, but the next day I had the feeling of wanting to assume the fetal position and contemplate life..
So the following things are known about Koniak:
  • Anecdotal reports of long-lasting after effects
  • I't's from Papua New Guinea, which is renowned for producing twodays (although the BHK website says it may have been transplanted there from Fiji)
  • In this thread, on Oct. 4, 2013, @Judd Rench said the following:
    Koniak has not been deemed "noble" and maybe never would be, but anecdotally it has been safely enjoyed in PNG for quite some time. For those that are interested, I'm currently looking at an HPLC test of six samples of Koniak that show a chemotype 254631 with 5 and 4 being within .5 grams per 100 grams. Total kavalactone percentage ranges between 7.9 and 11. We do not see Koniak as a daily drinking kava.
    (So, he seems to be saying Kavain and DHM are pretty close so the actual chemotype could be more like 245 or 254)
  • In this thread, on Oct. 13, 2014, @Judd Rench said the following:
    Chemotype does in fact identify noble kava strains. There are many variations but what your're really looking for is the kavalactones that ID tudei. These chemotypes are typically 25xxx or 52xxx, and depending on their interplay with the other kavalactones and overall lactone percentage could either make you feel really nice or really crappy.
So, Judd, I'm really not trying to pick on you or restart a flame war, but what is BKH's current position on Koniak: Is it noble?, twoday?, twoble?, noday? Your web site does recommend it is not for everyday drinking, but would you be prepared to add some more information about the possible effects of twodays, if you agree that's what it is?

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
My experience with this was also that there were noticeable effects the next day. The acute intoxication was a few hours, but the next day I had the feeling of wanting to assume the fetal position and contemplate life..
So the following things are known about Koniak:
  • Anecdotal reports of long-lasting after effects
  • I't's from Papua New Guinea, which is renowned for producing twodays (although the BHK website says it may have been transplanted there from Fiji)
  • In this thread, on Oct. 4, 2013, @Judd Rench said the following: (So, he seems to be saying Kavain and DHM are pretty close so the actual chemotype could be more like 245 or 254)
  • In this thread, on Oct. 13, 2014, @Judd Rench said the following:
So, Judd, I'm really not trying to pick on you or restart a flame war, but what is BKH's current position on Koniak: Is it noble?, twoday?, twoble?, noday? Your web site does recommend it is not for everyday drinking, but would you be prepared to add some more information about the possible effects of twodays, if you agree that's what it is?
Every single batch of this kava comes from PNG with an HPLC, and the results are all pretty close. The most recent batch shows a 245xxx (4 & 5 are very close) chemotype, and a fairly low KL content of 6.5% (Usually it's closer to 9%). My views on noble/tudei are constantly evolving. As I've stated before, and recently posted on my website, I feel that there's not really a clear line where one kava is noble, and another is tudei. Some kavas are clearly noble, some are clearly tudei, then there are some that don't quite fit in either category. I think this is one of them. HPLC results point in that direction. User experience does as well. Nausea is no more common with this than most other kavas that people consider noble, and there are more people who feel no extended effects, than those that do. We serve this regularly at the kava bar with great response. It's also our #1 online seller for dry root, which includes more repeat orders than for all other varieties. It got the best rating ever for a dry root kava on the Kavasseuer site, which is a very respected place for unbiased kava reviews.

We don't recommend it for daily use as an official stance really just to keep people from saying, 'Hey, this isn't noble! It shouldn't be drank everyday! You should make that clear!' Honestly, I know scores of people who drink Koniak daily and love it. These include the people in PNG where it grows, kava bar customers, and online customers. It's all about customers making their own choices based on valid information, which we've provided.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted User01

Yeah, I had the Koniak back when but it does kinda stay with you the next day. The thing that surprises me the most is the 6.5% KL. You would think that these stronger Kavas would have higher percentages but it ain't so. There is more to Kava science than just the KL percentages. Maybe some strains have Kavalactones that are more readily absorbed into the Human Bloodstream. There is still a lot to learn about kava.

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
Yeah, I had the Koniak back when but it does kinda stay with you the next day. The thing that surprises me the most is the 6.5% KL. You would think that these stronger Kavas would have higher percentages but it ain't so. There is more to Kava science than just the KL percentages. Maybe some strains have Kavalactones that are more readily absorbed into the Human Bloodstream. There is still a lot to learn about kava.
Mystery Kava #7 is likely from the previous batch with closer to a 9% total lactone. Still though, that's not super high. Realize that there are vendors out there who inflate the true percentages of their products, so you may be working off a manipulated baseline and expectation.

verticity

I'm interested in things
@Judd Rench, thank you for your answer. Would you consider posting the chemotype or whatever lab results you have for it on you web site, so at least those who are interested know exactly what they are getting? Also do you happen to know the FK/KL ratio?

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
@Judd Rench, thank you for your answer. Would you consider posting the chemotype or whatever lab results you have for it on you web site, so at least those who are interested know exactly what they are getting? Also do you happen to know the FK/KL ratio?
We'll post CoA's for all of our kava once all tests are done. Our CoAs will have results for all tests on one form, along with other important information. Getting fully compliant with all the tests that vendors should be doing takes time. I actually have all the test results for Koniak so could in theory post a CoA now, but we'll probably wait until we have results for all our varieties before making making the CoAs public.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
I wish my stomach tolerated DHM better because it really seems to be responsible for a certain feeling I enjoy and can't seem to completely replicate without it. That full body relaxation, softness and heightened tactile awareness. It completes the buzz for me when I'm looking to fully relax. It gets pretty sickening when I have it every day though.
I've noticed most of the blind mystery reviews all rank the heavy & sedative rating high. I guess I'll have to start having ceremonies every now and then, so I can appropriately enjoy some DHMy ceremonial kava.

Doobie Doo

Wow, I go away from my thread for a few hours and you guys get busy on it...:) Didn't mean to stir up the old Tudei vs Noble debate by this review. I had a strong reaction, but figured that was just me and my personal gut... Really surprising when door #3 opens up and you see what it is you drank and how close your review was.

Doobie Doo

...when partaking the substance of royalty and high priests, not a bad idea to put in a goblet me thinks...