What's new

Dermopathy? Burning blood shot eyes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulamamatoNCIRVCKKPC

Learn to love me, assemble the ways...
So far, I have not experienced dermopathy. I did read the archived thread on it in this forum, in depth. So, I am armed with AmLactin and one of the shampoos recommended. However, I have had dry, glossy and somewhat blood shot eyes for the past couple of days. Anyone else ever experience this? Granted I am getting over a head cold and my work place is VERY dry but some of this is definitely kava related. I can (and will! ) live with it. Any recommendations on eye drops or other ways to ease it? Am I on the verge of dermopathy? I cannot give up drinking kava! I drank 8 cups in 3 days plus a teaspoonful of micro waka at bedtime. My hair is NOT failling out anymore from stress! That is HUGE for me so I cannot give up my kava.
I just made a batch of KWK Loa Waka using the 1/2 gallon and 4 alluballs w/ 8 TBSP method. Then, I strained it again with my Kavafied professional strainer and I am glad that I did because I had a consierable amount of waka left (emough to want to have strained out). I wonder if I drank too much waka with my last batch, which was KWK Borogu? Correlations from daily drinkers with certain Kavas or prep methods? I appreciate any wise adivce. ;) I didn't want to post this in the new members forum in case more seasoned kava drinkers wouldn't see it. Thanks so much and BULA! :)

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
Hi there! I’m so glad kava is helping you. Some tear replacement drops will go a long way. I asked at my last eye exam and tried to explain about the kava, but was told it’s from aging even though I’m in my early 30s LOL! I was told to just use throughout the day and most people need it. When I remember to follow through, it does help loads. Dry eyes doesn’t always mean skin problems will follow. I have dry skin around my eyes from kava and allergies and have taken to using a moisturizing serum followed by a regular moisturizer with 2-3 drops of vitamin e oil mixed in and this has been doing wonders!

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
So far, I have not experienced dermopathy. I did read the archived thread on it in this forum, in depth. So, I am armed with AmLactin and one of the shampoos recommended. However, I have had dry, glossy and somewhat blood shot eyes for the past couple of days. Anyone else ever experience this? Granted I am getting over a head cold and my work place is VERY dry but some of this is definitely kava related. I can (and will! ) live with it. Any recommendations on eye drops or other ways to ease it? Am I on the verge of dermopathy? I cannot give up drinking kava! I drank 8 cups in 3 days plus a teaspoonful of micro waka at bedtime. My hair is NOT failling out anymore from stress! That is HUGE for me so I cannot give up my kava.
I just made a batch of KWK Loa Waka using the 1/2 gallon and 4 alluballs w/ 8 TBSP method. Then, I strained it again with my Kavafied professional strainer and I am glad that I did because I had a consierable amount of waka left (emough to want to have strained out). I wonder if I drank too much waka with my last batch, which was KWK Borogu? Correlations from daily drinkers with certain Kavas or prep methods? I appreciate any wise adivce. ;) I didn't want to post this in the new members forum in case more seasoned kava drinkers wouldn't see it. Thanks so much and BULA! :)
I second the undaunted_leader recommendations above. I have had bouts of dry eyes from kava and used a simple tear replacement type eye drop and it seemed to help; also you don't have to worry about using an eye drop like that too much. Sleep always helps too. I agree that skin issues don't always follow dry eyes. In general, also, I think some kavas dry me out more than others.

Last edited:

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Yup. Dry, itchy, eyes are part of the well known side effects of lots of kava use. I consider it part of the dermopathy as they are definitely related. I have also struggled with styes in the eyes when it gets really bad. The best is to get eye drops - with the least amount of crazy ingredients in them. Try not to rub your eyes. If they get real bad then warm compress, or dry rice heated up in a sock can provide some relief. Visine and other drops that "get the red out" have ingredients that constrict blood vessels and other shit that are not good for daily use. Try and find ones that are mostly just saline (salt water) and maybe a lubricant.

BulamamatoNCIRVCKKPC

Hi there! I’m so glad kava is helping you. Some tear replacement drops will go a long way. I asked at my last eye exam and tried to explain about the kava, but was told it’s from aging even though I’m in my early 30s LOL! I was told to just use throughout the day and most people need it. When I remember to follow through, it does help loads. Dry eyes doesn’t always mean skin problems will follow. I have dry skin around my eyes from kava and allergies and have taken to using a moisturizing serum followed by a regular moisturizer with 2-3 drops of vitamin e oil mixed in and this has been doing wonders!
Thank you! Yes, this is exactly what is happening. I have severe allergies anyway, So, this is just a bit amped up. I purchased eye lubricant drops after work yesterday. I will use them more now that I know this is what works. I chemically exfoliate my face daily and did notice dry skin around my eyes (mostly the tear pattern area, as my eyes are just tearing like crazy. Again, head cold too, not just kava!). I just started using DE extra virgin murula oil around my eyes a few nights ago and it seems to be working. So thankful for your feedback. Yeah, I'll never stop enjoying kava now that my anxiety is so under control. Sorry, I'm rambling but I just cannot believe that something natural is helpful is so many ways and NON-addictive like the meds I tapered off without a problem while adding kava into my diet. Xx

BulamamatoNCIRVCKKPC

I second the undaunted_leader's recommendations above. I have had bouts of dry eyes from kava and used a simple tear replacement type eye drop and it seemed to help; also you don't have to worry about using an eye drop like that too much. Sleep always helps too. I agree that skin issues don't always follow dry eyes. In general, also, I think some kavas dry me out more than others.
Thank you! Do you know which dry you out more? If so, maybe I would mix those with others or know not to drink a gallon of it! ;) I currently have almost every type of kava from just about every vendor metioned in these forums! Yikes! I went a bit nuts but I am stocked, for sure and, most likely, have the types that dry you out. Thanks! :)

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I'll come help you drink those drying types, no worries...I find large quantities of any kava to be drying, increase the water intake, including the amount you use to mix the grog. For me, heavy Vanu kavas do me in faster but I hang out in the balanced realm of kavas for the most part.

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
Thank you! Do you know which dry you out more? If so, maybe I would mix those with others or know not to drink a gallon of it! ;) I currently have almost every type of kava from just about every vendor metioned in these forums! Yikes! I went a bit nuts but I am stocked, for sure and, most likely, have the types that dry you out. Thanks! :)
I'm not sure which ones dry me out; I just notice it when its happening. The one that sticks in my mind is Mo'i; but that might be because when I have it, I tend to end up drinking it more than once in the day - larger quantities (but its a great kava). It seems to me like Fijian wakas dry me out less; at least they seem to give me less dermo. But it also seems like even the same kavas from the same vendors can change in that regard. I think there have been times where I felt like Bati was drying me out, but other times that I didn't notice it as much. But, yes, a large quantity of any kava will eventually do it.

BulamamatoNCIRVCKKPC

I'm not sure which ones dry me out; I just notice it when its happening. The one that sticks in my mind is Mo'i; but that might be because when I have it, I tend to end up drinking it more than once in the day - larger quantities (but its a great kava). It seems to me like Fijian wakas dry me out less; at least they seem to give me less dermo. But it also seems like even the same kavas from the same vendors can change in that regard. I think there have been times where I felt like Bati was drying me out, but other times that I didn't notice it as much. But, yes, a large quantity of any kava will eventually do it.
Bati is one of my favorite so far. However, I hadn't noticed any issues with it (again, I'm new to all kava). Borogu is a great kava, IMO, too but it definitely dried me out. Again, this could be more mild than I even know since I have a head cold. The drops are working. Fijian are my favorite kavas. I did just order a pound of the Kavafied Lapita (solomon) which will be my first try with solomon kava. It is a limited batch, since it just came in stock on Kavafied's website. In case anyone is interested and hasn't tried it. Again, being new here, it may not be a big deal. I just jumped on it since I haven't tried solomon. I ordered ROH Solomon awhile ago. I have not recieved it or word of it shipping. I'm getting a bit worried at lack of response from them. Sorry, off topic but thanks for your reply! :)

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
Bati is one of my favorite so far. However, I hadn't noticed any issues with it (again, I'm new to all kava). Borogu is a great kava, IMO, too but it definitely dried me out. Again, this could be more mild than I even know since I have a head cold. The drops are working. Fijian are my favorite kavas. I did just order a pound of the Kavafied Lapita (solomon) which will be my first try with solomon kava. It is a limited batch, since it just came in stock on Kavafied's website. In case anyone is interested and hasn't tried it. Again, being new here, it may not be a big deal. I just jumped on it since I haven't tried solomon. I ordered ROH Solomon awhile ago. I have not recieved it or word of it shipping. I'm getting a bit worried at lack of response from them. Sorry, off topic but thanks for your reply! :)
Whoa! Kavafied got a new kava?!?

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
Thank you! Yes, this is exactly what is happening. I have severe allergies anyway, So, this is just a bit amped up. I purchased eye lubricant drops after work yesterday. I will use them more now that I know this is what works. I chemically exfoliate my face daily and did notice dry skin around my eyes (mostly the tear pattern area, as my eyes are just tearing like crazy. Again, head cold too, not just kava!). I just started using DE extra virgin murula oil around my eyes a few nights ago and it seems to be working. So thankful for your feedback. Yeah, I'll never stop enjoying kava now that my anxiety is so under control. Sorry, I'm rambling but I just cannot believe that something natural is helpful is so many ways and NON-addictive like the meds I tapered off without a problem while adding kava into my diet. Xx
One more thing that might help you regarding the allergy and kava combination; Ayr Saline nasal gel is really nice! It helps much more than a simple spray. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.