What's new

dermopathy immediate onset

rayken

Kava Enthusiast
I was taking kava daily for almost a month (ghk micro). A coupe weeks ago i noticed my skin starting to feel dry and soon it began to look dry and scaly. My main problem areas appear to be right below my eyebrow, my under arms, wrsists, and now spreading to forearms and torso. I get very itchy and the skin did start to peel. Anyway I knew I needed to take at least a few days off so I stopped kava for about 3 days. Today I noticed my skin looked much better and it felt good, SO naturally I decided to drink some kava. Literally within about 5 minutes after drinking a tbsp the symptoms returned full force. Is this common with dermopathy until it is completely gone? Perhaps I need some more time off even after symptoms seem to go away.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I think it takes 2-3 weeks for dermopathy to fully subside. Even if your face felt good, pay close attention to your torso, hands, etc, I would bet that it was still there even after 3 days of abstention (I know when I have any because it appears first in the webbing between my thumb/index finger).

Basically the only thing to do is (1) abstain till it goes away or (2) pace yourself such that it doesn't bother you.

Blippy5

Certified Noble
Maybe try a well strainedmedium grind grog, or instant. With micro, you are ingesting more of the plant material. I don't have any evidence if it, but I suspect it would cause dermo more than other methods.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Maybe try a well strainedmedium grind grog, or instant. With micro, you are ingesting more of the plant material. I don't have any evidence if it, but I suspect it would cause dermo more than other methods.
I second that recommendation. I'm one of the people who gets massive dermapothy from drinking micronized, no matter who makes it.

rayken

Kava Enthusiast
how does the ghk instant compare to micro in potency? i will be willing to make the switch but i am a little worried i might go through it too quick if its not as strong. as of now at least im not interested in prepping my own medium.

Blippy5

Certified Noble
Generally people say it's about the same, perhaps a little less potent. I find it similar. It does taste much better though. Very smooth.

Lamakan

Kava Enthusiast
Agreed. I also was becoming uncomfortably lizard-like after mucho micro from ghk. Love the product but since hitting 2 lbs of hanky hard, I am still having no ill effects AT ALL, aside from slight itching once in a while. Medium grind is where it's at!

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
how does the ghk instant compare to micro in potency? i will be willing to make the switch but i am a little worried i might go through it too quick if its not as strong. as of now at least im not interested in prepping my own medium.
i find the micro to be more potent than the instant. It's way more cost effective since it lasts longer for the price but I like to have both on hand due to the smoothness and ease of using the instant when I am away from home. I also get dermo with either product. I am working on cutting down my dosage to see if I can eliminate it that way since the kava has helped me so much.

K

Kava Steve

Have you ever done preventative maintenance? When I sense I'm getting too dried out like the webbing between my thumb an index, I drink a boatload of Gatorade and soak in a warm bath with lots of coconut oil in the water massaging into my skin.... I have yet to get Dermo doing this
I think it takes 2-3 weeks for dermopathy to fully subside. Even if your face felt good, pay close attention to your torso, hands, etc, I would bet that it was still there even after 3 days of abstention (I know when I have any because it appears first in the webbing between my thumb/index finger).

Basically the only thing to do is (1) abstain till it goes away or (2) pace yourself such that it doesn't bother you.

D

Deleted User01

I never get dermo and I only do Micronized however .... there seems to be so many allergic reactions to different kavas around here that it may well be that Micronized aggravates dermo in some people. Or perhaps I'm just a lucky SOB (don't do it @verticity). Sorry, had to prempt an attack. :LOL: Ya know, I had tons and tons of allergies as a child and I even had to take allergy shots. I was allergic to everything from A to Z. Later in life, that stuff seems to have subsided. I guess my creator is cutting me a break.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Have you ever done preventative maintenance? When I sense I'm getting too dried out like the webbing between my thumb an index, I drink a boatload of Gatorade and soak in a warm bath with lots of coconut oil in the water massaging into my skin.... I have yet to get Dermo doing this
I've tried everything under the sun. Dermopathy is a matter of some kind of irritant deposited in the skin; it is not going to be changed by hydration and lotions/oils are palliative, other than alpha-hydroxy acid which speeds the rate of skin regeneration but also burns like hell and makes it peel off. If you have yet to get dermopathy, well, keep doing what you're doing, but I would bet it is due to how much/often you consume rather than anything else.

The clinical manifestations of kava dermopathy share similarities with the spectrum of autosomal recessive congenital ichthyoses, predominantly lamellar ichthyosis. The pathogenesis of Kava dermopathy may be associated with a functional defect in one or more cytochrome P450 enzymes implicated in epidermal integrity, thus mimicking the genetic defect as seen in lamellar ichthyosis type 3.

These are metabolized by the cytochrome P450 system (CYP450) with a subgroup, typified by methysticin and dihydromethysticin, containing an aromatic methylenedioxyphenyl (MDP) substituent.13,20 Such methylenedioxyphenyl-containing natural products are frequently associated with prolonged inhibition of CYP450 activities because they undergo biotransformation to reactive intermediates that generate tight-binding complexes with the cytochromes.21

However, issues pertinent to the disposition of kavalactones on prolonged exposure, such as the volume of distribution, which may influence kavalactone accumulation in epidermal tissues, remain unresolved.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25069767

Last edited:

verticity

I'm interested in things
I never get dermo and I only do Micronized however .... there seems to be so many allergic reactions to different kavas around here that it may well be that Micronized aggravates dermo in some people. Or perhaps I'm just a lucky SOB (don't do it @verticity). Sorry, had to prempt an attack. :LOL:
Don't do what? Sob? You're right, I do try to keep a positive outlook, and keep the weeping and moaning to a minimum, but I fail to understand why you would perceive such an expression of emotion as an "attack" :rolleyes:

K

Kava Steve

I've tried everything under the sun. Dermopathy is a matter of some kind of irritant deposited in the skin; it is not going to be changed by hydration and lotions/oils are palliative, other than alpha-hydroxy acid which speeds the rate of skin regeneration but also burns like hell and makes it peel off. If you have yet to get dermopathy, well, keep doing what you're doing, but I would bet it is due to how much/often you consume rather than anything else.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25069767

hmm interesting, maybe some people are more susceptible than others, I drink 8 to 12 tbs a day spaced out from morning to night on the days I consume 12 I can definitely tell in my skin the next day with dryness on the webbing and between cracks of skin on hands and around ankles only... Lots of hydration and coconut oil bath and my skin is silky smooth until a push it again usually on Fridays.

D

Deleted User01

I never get dermo and I only do Micronized however .... there seems to be so many allergic reactions to different kavas around here that it may well be that Micronized aggravates dermo in some people. Or perhaps I'm just a lucky SOB (don't do it @verticity). Sorry, had to prempt an attack. :LOL: Ya know, I had tons and tons of allergies as a child and I even had to take allergy shots. I was allergic to everything from A to Z. Later in life, that stuff seems to have subsided. I guess my creator is cutting me a break.
Oh, I'm so sorry for presuming bad things. I felt sure you were going to say something like, "Jman, everyone already knows you are an SOB". But you would never ever wisecrack something like that. :sneaky: I apologize profusely. Mea culpa. :oops:
Now it's time for some Mo'i Mo'. :D

cosmic sky

Kava Curious
is this reaction common? ive read its only happened to some islanders who consume huge amts every single day. that its rare. how many ppl on here had it happen? why would micronizedn n do u drink gigantic amts?

avahZ

YAHWEH Shalom
C Ray, some here have drank so much that they have replaced their blood w kava! Seriously though yea demo is quite common and some micros have the makas removed. Makas is the hard part of the root that seems to encourage dermo and nausea. I have not gotten dermo, but I have noticed my usual radiant skin take on a very slight older look. But it's all worth it!