What's new

Describe your Kava session.

TrevC

Kava Enthusiast
In my quest to "figure this out", I'm always open to hearing new approaches on Kava preparation and consumption.
There are some days where it hits me in such a fantastic way that I ask "WHY do more people not drink Kava?!?"
But then there are other days where I wonder "WHAT in the heck is wrong with my body?", when I'm not feeling it AT ALL, because it's as if my body isn't processing it right.

I've consumed Kava for a few years now, with the last year being daily with no breaks between. My main "session" is after work, but I do drink lighter shells before lunch.

The biggest downside for me has been the dermo, which manifests in cracked fingers, and belly skin that I can graze my hands across and create a small snowstorm.
Daily Amlactin user, as a result. (Curious about what level of coconut oil I should use. I know another person here has reported big success with dermo elimination/suppression using coconut oil.) Have started using an exfoliation pad, which helps tremendously with the loose skin.
My parents have noticed my hands lately, and are concerned for me. I explained it's a reversible condition.
(Though my FEET are so bad off... that I feel like I'm stuck with them in this condition. Seriously the worse-looking part of my body, but also never shown/seen, so I don't think about them as much.)

My approach goes like this:
- Add at least 3 TBSP (sometimes 2/3rds cup) dry medium grind to strainer bag.
- Place strainer bag inside a closed plastic ice cream bucket, with the open end of the bag sticking out, pinched between the container and lid.
- Shake this vigorously for a couple minutes. (One way to produce "micronized" at home, I suppose.) Let this sit for a minute, so the fine Kava cloud settles. :)
- Add 1 cup warm water and a "skosh" of milk, let soak.
- Get my nitrile gloves on and knead vigorously for several minutes.

This produces a really thick, dark grog.
With my watermelon chunks nearby (and a fork stuck in one, ready for when I've downed my shell), I'll go ahead and pour that into a shell and drink it, then chase with a watermelon chunk.
The watermelon really saturates my mouth and is a nice little treat. Often I "save up" for Kava, meaning I don't snack at all between main meals.
I immediately add another cup of warm water to the bucket and strain again.
Usually within 15 minutes, I'll know if it's going to "work today" or not.

I find that if I'm feeling it, I can keep going and going. But if I'm NOT, I keep trying and trying. This is the only time I ever get nausea.
You'd think I would learn, but there's always that hope that I'm JUST ABOUT to "break through".

When it works, it WORKS.
I had a session recently where I keep adding water and each shell just washed over me all new again.
It was so strange and fantastic.

I've tried many, but these are the ones I keep going back to:
- KWK Loa Waka
- KWK Special Variety
- KWK Samoa Ava
- KWK Vula Waka

Here are ones I've tried before and will be ordering soon to revisit:
- N@H WOW
- BKH Nambawan
- BKH MeloMelo
- Squanch

VERY MUCH open to hearing you guys' thoughts on this!

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
In my quest to "figure this out", I'm always open to hearing new approaches on Kava preparation and consumption.
There are some days where it hits me in such a fantastic way that I ask "WHY do more people not drink Kava?!?"
But then there are other days where I wonder "WHAT in the heck is wrong with my body?", when I'm not feeling it AT ALL, because it's as if my body isn't processing it right.

I've consumed Kava for a few years now, with the last year being daily with no breaks between. My main "session" is after work, but I do drink lighter shells before lunch.

The biggest downside for me has been the dermo, which manifests in cracked fingers, and belly skin that I can graze my hands across and create a small snowstorm.
Daily Amlactin user, as a result. (Curious about what level of coconut oil I should use. I know another person here has reported big success with dermo elimination/suppression using coconut oil.) Have started using an exfoliation pad, which helps tremendously with the loose skin.
My parents have noticed my hands lately, and are concerned for me. I explained it's a reversible condition.
(Though my FEET are so bad off... that I feel like I'm stuck with them in this condition. Seriously the worse-looking part of my body, but also never shown/seen, so I don't think about them as much.)

My approach goes like this:
- Add at least 3 TBSP (sometimes 2/3rds cup) dry medium grind to strainer bag.
- Place strainer bag inside a closed plastic ice cream bucket, with the open end of the bag sticking out, pinched between the container and lid.
- Shake this vigorously for a couple minutes. (One way to produce "micronized" at home, I suppose.) Let this sit for a minute, so the fine Kava cloud settles. :)
- Add 1 cup warm water and a "skosh" of milk, let soak.
- Get my nitrile gloves on and knead vigorously for several minutes.

This produces a really thick, dark grog.
With my watermelon chunks nearby (and a fork stuck in one, ready for when I've downed my shell), I'll go ahead and pour that into a shell and drink it, then chase with a watermelon chunk.
The watermelon really saturates my mouth and is a nice little treat. Often I "save up" for Kava, meaning I don't snack at all between main meals.
I immediately add another cup of warm water to the bucket and strain again.
Usually within 15 minutes, I'll know if it's going to "work today" or not.

I find that if I'm feeling it, I can keep going and going. But if I'm NOT, I keep trying and trying. This is the only time I ever get nausea.
You'd think I would learn, but there's always that hope that I'm JUST ABOUT to "break through".

When it works, it WORKS.
I had a session recently where I keep adding water and each shell just washed over me all new again.
It was so strange and fantastic.

I've tried many, but these are the ones I keep going back to:
- KWK Loa Waka
- KWK Special Variety
- KWK Samoa Ava
- KWK Vula Waka

Here are ones I've tried before and will be ordering soon to revisit:
- N@H WOW
- BKH Nambawan
- BKH MeloMelo
- Squanch

Everyone has their own little things they do. I tend to eat no later than about 3 pm then start between 6 and 8. I suppose I am lucky in that it works nearly every time for me. It sounds like a lot of effort you are going to if it doesn't always work. I mix up what I do and also which strain I drink, I do like to drink something different every night. Even if I only have two kavas to hand I will alternate them. I also mix between medium and instant although I do tend to drink a lot more medium these days. I will then alternate between aluballing and blender method just depending on which I feel like.

I don't know if I can offer anything in the way of advice as it seems like your routine is pretty solid and seems to suit you. Maybe try and use different strains a bit more often if you do tend to stick to the same one night after night? Your prep sounds ok if you're happy with that.

One question I do have... do you switch from heavy to heady very often, one day to the next? I find I can't feel heady kavas much at all recently just because my body is so saturated with heavy kava.

It was probably me that you saw mention coconut oil capsules. I've got some problems at home at the moment so I am drinking industrial quantities of heavy kava just so I can sleep and I have had pretty bad dermo despite taking the coconut oil but under normal circumstances I only need to drink balanced kava rather than heavy 2 or 3 nights a week and keep going with the coconut oil and things get better for me pretty quickly, seems like it's the heavy kavas causing the worst of it. I usually take 2 capsules in the morning. At the moment I'm taking 3 in the morning and 3 in the afternoon and that is helping a bit. O Keefe's Working Hands helps quite a lot too.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I think we all have good and bad days, it's part of the experience and I find part of the individual fine tuning. I haven't had dermo in a long while, partially because I put down the kavas that were making me itchy all the time (the really potent ones) and because even though i can drink a pound in 1.5 days, I don't do it often. For the most part I drink kava mid mornings, mid mornings and nighttime, sometimes just at night. I drink 1st washes through 4th and 5th, depending on the kava. After a little over 6 years doing this, i find I can usually tell if i am in the mood to go into it heavy or just have a casual session.

Heavy sessions are 1st & 2nd washes only, I always put the rest in a container in the fridge NOT the freezer. I use it throughout the week for the mellower 3rd-4th wash days. It's a nice system, you could always freeze it for longer use beyond a week but I stopped freezing my root. As long as it is in the fridge, in a tight Tupperware, it will last a week, maybe longer.

TrevC

Kava Enthusiast
I think we all have good and bad days, it's part of the experience and I find part of the individual fine tuning. I haven't had dermo in a long while, partially because I put down the kavas that were making me itchy all the time (the really potent ones) and because even though i can drink a pound in 1.5 days, I don't do it often. For the most part I drink kava mid mornings, mid mornings and nighttime, sometimes just at night. I drink 1st washes through 4th and 5th, depending on the kava. After a little over 6 years doing this, i find I can usually tell if i am in the mood to go into it heavy or just have a casual session.

Heavy sessions are 1st & 2nd washes only, I always put the rest in a container in the fridge NOT the freezer. I use it throughout the week for the mellower 3rd-4th wash days. It's a nice system, you could always freeze it for longer use beyond a week but I stopped freezing my root. As long as it is in the fridge, in a tight Tupperware, it will last a week, maybe longer.
I do like the sound of that approach! I particularly like the saving of Kava in the fridge for the next day or so's session.

The only time I have done the Kava-in-the-fridge-for-later would be like recently when I was grilling for some family.
I had to grill, and wouldn't be able to do my normal prep session, so that morning I did all my Kava prep and put it in a 64oz container in the fridge.
As people started arriving, I casually decanted my "shells" (Solo cup - not as fun) and enjoyed them 15 or so minutes apart. I usually like to get the jump on it well in advance of when we eat.

It has been a balancing act on the social side, because I was to a point where we'd go to my parents and everyone else would be eating, while I'm kneading my Kava, and fielding questions about "Why do you have to drink that mess?" Haha. :) Then I'd eat alone, later. So I've gotten used to arriving at wherever, ready to go, with chilled Kava.

But again, I think I will try your idea for my normal at-home sessions. Thank you!

Skinskava

70-80 g to 1 Liter-Day Dreamer- My Roots Run Deep-
I weight lift so I need to get my calories in early. Have a meal at 7 usually snack at 9 and another big meal by 11.30. From 12-6 pm just water and I begin my session around 6 or 6.30. A liter with about 65-70 grams will have me in good shape for a hour in a half of shelling and then i wind down for a bit. A half hr after my last shell ill have a light dinner and some coconut water

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
It has been a balancing act on the social side, because I was to a point where we'd go to my parents and everyone else would be eating, while I'm kneading my Kava, and fielding questions about "Why do you have to drink that mess?" Haha. :) Then I'd eat alone, later. So I've gotten used to arriving at wherever, ready to go, with chilled Kava.
I deal with the same thing in my family gatherings or social events. I used to knead the kava on the side, on the low at first to avoid the silly questions, now I bring my own bowl when i travel, I still get made fun off by my nephew, as an example for drinking that "stinky tea", hehe..
Doesn't bother me anymore but I also don't go out of my way to explain to family members what it is, i tell those curious to read up on it if interested if not, doesn't bother me either way but it saves me the trouble of going into a 30 minute explanation.

I enjoy kava better by myself, I know it's a social beverage but if the other person/people are not drinking it as well, it's not the same.

TrevC

Kava Enthusiast
Thank you all for the feedback! I've picked up on a couple new things here, and I'm grateful for that.
Just started my pre-dinner session and it has surprised me.
(Again, I wish I knew what was up with my body chemistry / absorption / whatever that prevents consistency.)

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
hail to the football team . Kava is slept on as diuretic. Body builders would be at an advtantage taking it night before a show.
Maybe you knew this, but the owner of Kavafied played for the Buccaneers. And I think he turned on some of his teammates to kava.
Since there seems to be a growing number of South Pacificans playing in the NFL, I imagine they're bringing that kava culture into the league as well.
Hopefully it brings them a good alternative to using other substances banned by the NFL, that would get them suspended from the league ;)

Skinskava

70-80 g to 1 Liter-Day Dreamer- My Roots Run Deep-
Maybe you knew this, but the owner of Kavafied played for the Buccaneers. And I think he turned on some of his teammates to kava.
Since there seems to be a growing number of South Pacificans playing in the NFL, I imagine they're bringing that kava culture into the league as well.
Hopefully it brings them a good alternative to using other substances banned by the NFL, that would get them suspended from the league ;)
Yeah,
Everytime I drink kava I wonder how on earth more ppl dont drink it. Then again here in America many people fear what they dont know or understand. Kava surfaces feelings and invokes a sense of peace i suppose some arent ready for. Plus the taste is off putting at first. Ive given up on trying to sell people on the root and just let it be. Another great athlete who loves kava is ruben wiki. A rugby player who drank kava after every match. I do believe if done for recovery and u stay properly hydrated its terrific for athletes.

Kavaloloko

Kavaloloko Kava Co.
Kava Vendor
Yeah,
Everytime I drink kava I wonder how on earth more ppl dont drink it. Then again here in America many people fear what they dont know or understand. Kava surfaces feelings and invokes a sense of peace i suppose some arent ready for. Plus the taste is off putting at first. Ive given up on trying to sell people on the root and just let it be. Another great athlete who loves kava is ruben wiki. A rugby player who drank kava after every match. I do believe if done for recovery and u stay properly hydrated its terrific for athletes.

There is actually a large amount of professional rugby players that drink Kava

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
Yeah,
Everytime I drink kava I wonder how on earth more ppl dont drink it. Then again here in America many people fear what they dont know or understand...
Plus the taste is off putting at first. Ive given up on trying to sell people on the root and just let it be.
Yea, I gave up on trying to recruit new people to drinking kava, as well
I mean, when you give them this obligatory warning, of these 2 factors :
"Okay, this stuff not only tastes terrible, but you have to drink A LOT of its terribleness, for it to take effect, when you first start out, due to its Reverse Tolerance."
Who is going to want to try that for the first time ? :D
It's hard enough to sell people on new ventures, even when they're mostly or all positive features.
A person has to come to it on their own, and have their own desire to do it.

jewalker7842

Kava Curious
I use the Aluball. I can't stand kneading and wringing a bag to get what I want lol. I use two Aluballs and it typically is 2 1/2 tablespoons. I turn the hot water on as hot as it can get and then fill up the bottle about quarter of the way and shake for about a minute, pour the kava on ice, go immediately for a second rise, hot water, shake for a minute and pour it on ice. I then stir until its ice cold and chug it. I then chase it with coconut water, milk, or gingerale--whatever I have in the fridge lol.

I typically have my second round about 30 minutes after the first shell. Depending on if I'm feeling it that day I might have another shell, but i typically stop at two.

jonaspmd

found kava
When it comes to consistency of effects, I am testing this new idea (at least for me) that, in addition to empty stomach, you also have to be thirsty for the quickest absorption rate of kavalactones. You could spend hours of research to see whether there is a rationale for that, which would probably lead you down the rabbit hole of trying to understand active vs passive transportation of all the compounds you ingest with kava water suspension (in addition the level of minerals in you tap water) and how this affects the intestinal osmotic pressure. But for now I am just making mental notes before drinking kava if I am thirsty or not and how this affects the experience to see whether there is something here (it's not always that 4 hours after meal you're also thirsty).

@TrevC, as with most things, you feel better if you're in control. Kava sometimes feels like alive and if it controls you, that's where the downward spiral starts. Getting your dermo under control (ie, until it does not bother you anymore, both from how you feel and the social perspective) I think is the first good step in your relationship with kava. Dermo will completely reset in 3-4 weeks time, no matter how bad it is. Then you can restart kava and tweak the consumption until you find the right pattern (it takes multiples cycles). It can take up to a month for severe dermo to completely resolve, so if you start tweaking your consumption pattern while the dermo is still not resolved and become frustrated two weeks in and start changing the consumption patter again, this all will just lead even bigger confusion.