What's new

did i just make a big mistake?

kl.poppyjoy

Kava Curious
hey guys. noob here. i got my 1 lb Kona order in a couple of weeks ago. never tried kava before this.

now, i have no fear of wicked tasting stuff, and have a sense of culinary adventure; but i think there is something wrong with this kava. i've tried to tackle this Kona stuff twice, with no effect and an underlying "sick" feeling each time. the root tastes like shit too (i get the feeling it shouldn't taste like this; otherwise i don't think anyone would drink it).

i've read less than enthusiastic reviews about Kona brand.

so, instead of giving up altogether, i've ordered from Paradise Kava, another Hawaiian brand. i hope this does the trick.

i guess my question is: is Kona the only kava that has made anyone "sick", or are there others?

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
Kava is an acquired taste no matter what. That being said, Kona Kava is total crap and it doesn't surprise me that you struggled through it and got nothing out of it.

If you don't like Paradise Kava, then that should be your final straw. Paradise Kava is the best.

kl.poppyjoy

Kava Curious
'k, this is the first time i've gotten an effect from kava. i'm on my second shell of Paradise 100% awa. let it be known that all kavas are not equal.

Kona sucks! ;D i don't know why (long storage in Chicago?). i knew that the insipid flavor and feeling was just somehow "wrong".

Adil's kava tastes better, looks better and has a good effect.

i'm glad i didn't give up the first time.

kl.poppyjoy

Kava Curious
ok, holy cow. i've just drunk 3 shells (1/2 cup powder), and, wow, now i get it. boy, do i get it. everything melts out of your mind and out of your body. this is going to be a wonderful replacement and adjunct to opium tea (OT being very addictive if one is not on top of it). nothing comes close to OT, but kava (and kanna) will be the majority of my artificial joy.

now we'll see if there's a hangover in the morning. (heh)

i'm going to listen to some Porcupine Tree and Deerhoof now.

thanks for sharing your experiences Douglas. it's appreciated.

kl.rcoz

Kava Enthusiast
sounds interesting. How does it compare to kava's euphoric properties, on par or does it blow it away? Does the combo play well together?

If one was to pursue kanna, what product/site do you recommend?

kl.poppyjoy

Kava Curious
hey rcoz.

though i have a short but fantastic experience with kava, it's a different animal from kanna. kava seems to have more of a "boozy" effect, while kanna is light and joyful (not that kava isn't joyful, but it's too heavy for work, while a quid or two of kanna makes a dull or stressful day go well).

they both take away anxiety effectively (for me).

i haven't taken them together. might be interesting!

here's the site i buy from, pretty much from source: http://www.sceletium.com/

kl.Lane75

Kava Curious
Hi guys, new member here. I also made the same mistake of ordering from kona, got kava, the 84%caps, instant drink mix and basically no effects from any of it. Thankfully I found Vesuvio's blog(awesome job man) and this forum. I eventually ordered from N@H and have found great qualities in the Tongan, Stone, Shaman & Fire Island kavas.

I have also had my bouts w/ OT poppyjoy and if not used with great moderation can get a good hold on ya. I got off the tea a few months ago w/ the use of some K@ and great will power. I have also found that Kanna will greatly potentate the effects of K@, not sure if you've tried it before but if your dealing with oppie wd's the K@/kanna definitely helps ease the pain.

Anywhoo, I get my Kanna from this site: http://www.nomad-botanica...tion=1&keyword=kanna and find it pretty good. They have good K@ also, I haven't tried the kava since it seems pretty pricey to me. I noticed your site ships directly from Africa, this guy is domestic and I usually get my order in 3 days. I wonder how the kanna compares to the one you get straight from S. Africa, if ya get a chance too try it out let me know...

Take care...~Lane

kl.JerZ Gurl

Kava Curious
I  almost made the same mistake, too. I came so close to buying from Kona Kave before I found this site. Thank, Vesuvio Cat(smiley: roll)

The thing is that Kona Kava is the first site you see when you google "kava".  They seem legit.  I wonder how many people get turned off from kava after they try Kona Kava's garbage.

kl.poppyjoy

Kava Curious
~JerZ Gurl

that's exactly what i wondered. people try Kona, give up and never understand the anxiolitic benefits of quality kava. i think it has the potential to really help people, and they'll never know it because of this junk.

~rcoz

apparently kanna doesn't work for everyone (over-stimulation, followed by fatigue for some), but i hope it works for you. it works for me quite well.

~Lane75

yeah, there aren't many who understand the deal you make with the Bitch Goddess. she gives you love, comfort and an unexplainable euphoria; but unlike most women, if you abuse her and take her for granted, she will f:)ck you up and try to destroy you. you will actually dream about her at night if you leave her for more than three days. you will feel mental anguish and physical pain in the joints and muscles (the thigh muscles! my god, it hurts!). i came so close to the Bitch Goddess's pet monkey, and he was ready to jump on; luckily, he missed and i pulled him off in time. now i indulge once every two weeks. only special occasions.

to anyone thinking about experimenting with the poppy: think twice. you think you're in control, but opium becomes a part of you. even if you take it once every two weeks, like me, you will chase the dragon for the rest of your life. believe it's true. you just will. it's like kissing God. i grow a poppy garden every year, and when i see ripened pods in any old lady's flower bed, my first reaction is how to find a way to get those pods.

everyone: leave the poppy alone. stick with kava.

btw, K@ did nothing for me but give me a slightly good mood for 15 minutes, then leave a kind of hangover with a headache for two days. i guess everyone is different.

kl.rcoz

Kava Enthusiast
ok, so I have this fine powder kanna. How much do I use for a sublingual dose, a small pinch, 1/4 tsp?

kl.poppyjoy

Kava Curious
~rcoz

i'd start with 1/4 tsp or less to see how you react. start low, go slow.

if you're wondering about upper limits, 2 tsp seems to be near the top (and can be way too much for some!).

Hi, I'm noob enough.  However, as I sit here krunked on Pacific Kava Waka I have to say that I have also drunk a fair amount of Kona Kava instant.  I haven't tried any of their other products.  Have oftened wondered too, why it ships from Chicago? The instant Kona (tropical and chocolate) puts me right to sleep, but not much psychoaction before wandering off into dream land.  So, I guess it's like a sleeping pill, I always awake refreshed with a good night's sleep.  Have turned on an infrequent drinker to the instant chocolate in soy milk and it was the most favourable response regarding taste.   I have mixed the tropical with mango juice for a refreshing drink.

kl.Lane75

Kava Curious
I've tried the instant chocolate banana mix they sell and while producing very very mild effects it did taste pretty good I must say. I mixed it with milk and added chocolate syrup to it, I wish it had more of an effect cause it tasted pretty darn good.

As for the Kanna rcoz I put 2-3 pinches under my tongue for bout 20-30 mins, seem to work pretty good, but I use it alongside 2 teaspoons of K@ extract for an added bonus, good stuff there. So how did ya like the kanna?

kl.rcoz

Kava Enthusiast
hmm, I've used a few pinches for a few days now... the first day I felt something, the second day was the best, really nice calm, good feeling, a really nice vibe coming from people and more social than usually, since then, nothing, maybe a slight tired feeling 3-4 hours after ingesting. I'm still experimenting. Perhaps caffeine interferes or a tolerance level? It's kind of hard to keep the fine powder under my tongue, it seems to dissolve quickly. They sent me a free sample of K@ that I've never tried before. Maybe this weekend I'll try the K@ by it's self before the combo.

Everywhere it reports kanna as a SSRI and a kava a MAOI-B, that should not be mixed, yet the few postings on other sites that people tried it, didn't report adverse reactions or anything spectacular... it makes you wonder is it really a SSRI or is kava extremely weak MAOI... or being MAOI-B makes the difference.

kl.Lane75

Kava Curious
I haven't tried kava and kanna together, seems like they would cancel each other out. I usually use some kanna/K@ during the day and then kava at night to wind down.

Nomad also has kava/paste/instant, it's pretty pricey though so I haven't tried it out. I did get a sample of the blue lily extract which I made into a tea and it tasted pleasant and left me pretty relaxed. I'll prolly order some more of that sometime to mess around with.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that you can build up a Kanna tolerance quickly so using every few days is probably the best way to go(smiley: wink)