What's new

Difference btw THC effects and kava?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kavaguy

Kava Enthusiast
I understand there are some strains of cannabis which mainly cause the user to feel relaxation. To those who might have tried edibles with this effect, how would you describe it compared to kava?

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I understand there are some strains of cannabis which mainly cause the user to feel relaxation. To those who might have tried edibles with this effect, how would you describe it compared to kava?
virtually no similarity, except relaxation in small non-intoxicating doses. At very small doses they are similar, but at the level of poisoning or intoxication they are very different.

Also, in both cases, much depends on the person, and how habituated they are to the active ingredients in the plants. I cannot stress this enough. Peoples receptors adapt over time with repeated exposure, especially with repeated frequent exposure. And I mean receptors everywhere in the body, including taste, stomach, brain, ....

Mo'iety

Kava Enthusiast
Kava is much more pleasant for me than cannabis. I drink heady kavas primarily and yes one could say it resembles an upbeat sativa, but without any of the anxiety and mind-raciness - quite the opposite actually. It's "calm mental energy" if that makes any sense, and a nice mood boost, as opposed to a somewhat more manic energy of sativa. When the headiness wears off, kava leaves me in a state of deep mental relaxation that lasts an hour or two longer, but is not really sedating. Unless I overdo it in a session, then the secondary effects can get sedating.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

WimblySlop

Kava Curious
Both are dose dependent obviously. I would say the broad relaxation and mild euphoria are shared. I find that I get a lot more tired/worn out from Kava, whereas I don't get that feeling from THC. Even a really heavy indica doesn't have the same effect as kava for me in terms of making me feel wiped out. That's also very person to person as I understand it. I tend to get a "hangover" from kava, i.e., I'll be pretty unmotivated and lethargic the next day. I don't think that's the predominant effect (though I'm certainly not the only one).

So, I guess there is mild similarity between the two in terms of relaxation/euphoria, but I think beyond that it's so dose/strain/person dependent that it's hard to say anything that will have broad application.

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
I occasionally cook Cannabis and eat it. Usually leaves. Have used hash/flower, ect. Sometimes mix in dinners [steakpotatoes] or just eat raw in oil. The intention is communion with the cannabis plant. It offers healing and union with the Earth. Kava does too offer its gifts. These are different plants, comparing or contrasting them is not useful.

In my experience, Cannabis cooked by myself are distinct to have spiritual healing and body rest in the first four hours and clear minded, excited energy in the latter. It can completely change your perception of what you know to be reality for twelve hours. Cooked by others, offer incredible medicine value, but seem to be less than I create by cooking over flame in oil for as long as possible.

Michael1011

Kava Curious
Oh man kava and weed are so different but they are great together.

kava produces a warm numbing euphoria and a little loopiness. While weed can take you to the deepest recesses of your mind.
Kava causes appetite loss and alters the way food tastes. Weed makes me hungry and increased foods taste.

while kava is awesome there’s a whole higher level of beauty and psychedelic awe that weed has that kava will never touch.

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
Oh man kava and weed are so different but they are great together.

kava produces a warm numbing euphoria and a little loopiness. While weed can take you to the deepest recesses of your mind.
Kava causes appetite loss and alters the way food tastes. Weed makes me hungry and increased foods taste.

while kava is awesome there’s a whole higher level of beauty and psychedelic awe that weed has that kava will never touch.
It feels they are different worlds, pleasant, existing.

TrevC

Kava Enthusiast
A friend visited Colorado during his wife's continuing education (she's a nurse) and brought back some THC gummies. I'm pretty methodical so I waited until 4pm and took one, on an empty stomach, and waited the 2 hours for it to cross the blood-brain barrier. After about two hours, I didn't feel much at all and was sorta let down, as I was looking for a new product for anxiety relief and mood lift.
Background: I have never smoked or taken any product with THC, but have more recently come around to understand it as not the villain it's painted to be.

The next day, at the same time, under the same circumstances (empty stomach) I took TWO gummies. After two hours, I found myself uncontrollably giggly. As things went on, it became scary. I sat in my recliner but eventually realized... I need to lay down. I told my wife and she looked up remedies to help stop the effect. It had already been 2 hours (and crossed blood/brain barrier) so there's no vomiting to help at this point. I tried the black pepper thing and tried eating, but it didn't seem to help much. I went into my first, real, full-on panic attack.

THIS is where it's powerful to lean not on how you feel, but what you KNOW. I did enough research before ever trying this to know that I wasn't going to die.
(But I 100% experienced, firsthand, why people call 911 when taking too much of the stuff. It is legit frightening.)

It took a good 5 hours to get past the experience, and I'll never try edibles again.
I shared the experience with a buddy who smokes and he said "Oh yeah, man, I don't do edibles! Those'll mess you up! Gotta be able to modulate it."

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe it had to have been a sativa strain, as I've read indica is the more relaxing one.

With Kava, I've never had it behave like this. On the bad side, the most that has happened was I've thrown up. But no panic attack stuff with Kava.

Michael1011

Kava Curious
Just wanted to add something. I took a short tolerance break from weed, just 2.5 days. Drank kava during the break. Smoked 9 hits over a 6 hr period after the break, through a glass pipe. I was extremely high to say the least. I’ve been smoking for 6 yrs and this is the first time in a long time I was genuinely overwhelmed.

drank 4 aluvalls spread out over those hours leading to it so there was a lot of kava in my system. After I smoked I began passing out. Then it hit me like a freight train. I was looking around and felt like my body no longer existed. I was morphing into my surroundings and the fact I had a body seemed meaningless. I had to calm myself down and repeat over and over, this is just weed, this is just weed. The high was blasted in my face so I couldn’t distract myself because every sight, sound and movement felt and seemed unbearably foreign. That was the highest I’d ever been, because I don’t normally take breaks but when I do it makes it way strong. It was like being constantly splashed with very cold water that overwhelming shock but without the cold. I had a lot of weird experiences during that trip. Kava really potentiates cannabis.

Last edited:

Bubba Bula

krunkadelic relic
Try mixing some CBD with it. That should counter the negative effects. Myself, I actually prefer good CBD instead of weed.

Go Krunk Yourself

Kava Enthusiast
THC is NO Kava. Kava is a guest you invite but you can usually kick him out if he gets too rowdy when THC takes ahold of you and you are having anxiety or some other issue you will MELT apart. The worst thing that happens with Kava is some dizziness, double vision, headache etc that usually is remedied by lying down for a bit and thats only when you really overdo it like sometimes I do because I still have that "lets get fucked up" from my alcohol days but Kava is much, much more forgiving and safe. I will never touched THC after 2 bad experiences. I had maybe 1 hour of enjoyment from it where food tasted SO good but it's far too potent and "in your face" for me.

krunkgod

Kava Enthusiast
I do get giggly from some varieties of kava, similar to weed, but thats about where the comparisons end. As others are saying, weed is really in your face. The weed now is also stupidly potent and its very easy to overwhelm yourself and ruin an evening. Hell, I've taken a single hit of certain strains and ended up having a real dark trip.

Kava o'puss

Kava Curious
Yeah CBD/hemp (Not high THC MJ),for me,is kind of close in effect to kava. It does not smack you like *I hear* MJ does. And it goes wonderfully with kava. One-two punch to stress without feeling loaded. CBD/hemp with a mix of Kava Vinaka waka and lewena and loose as a goose after a typical trying day at work. The CBD mellows you out and peels away stress and then the subsequent shells bring a wave of further relaxation concurrent with the uplifting kavain lift. Very pleasant. Sleep soundly without racing/stressed mind a few hours after consumtion.

babesugarbunny

Kava Enthusiast
I find no similarities between THC and Kava. I smoked almost every day for seven years before. Cannabis is in my opinion one of the drugs with lowest bad effects and should be legal everywhere. But I do at the same time find cannabis to be something that can get you really fucked up on and high as a kite. I've had a lot of anxious feelings when I have been high on cannabis. Kava doesn't really make you high, in my opinion. It feels like a really mild substance than can boost your social capacity or make you feel really relaxed in the sofa, both mentally and physically. But if you want a high like cannabis with THC, Kava is not really what you should go after.

That Kava is really mild and does not make me high, as all the other substances I have tried, is a positiv thing for me. I find Kava as a really got root that can boost the day/evening/night without making you high and you don't loose your judgement. I still feel really good when I have been drinking Kava, but I would not describe is as being high. For me as a former user of hard drugs and drinking alcohol too much, Kava is a really good thing that can make stress go away or make me more talkative. Having Kava as a boost of my enjoyment of life feels a lot better than being drunk or high on drugs all the time.

Can anyone relate to this?

Bula!

Status
Not open for further replies.