What's new

different preparation methods

exit stage left
My usual preparation is 2 tbsp of kava in a muslin bag or t shirt, which I knead and squeeze out for 10-15 minutes in a bowl of 8 oz of water. Occasionally I'll do 4 tbsp of kava, and do a second wash, also 8 oz. I store them in bottles in the fridge until I'm going to drink them. Sometimes I drink them immediately, still warm, and they seem to kick in much faster, almost immediately.

Today I tried a modified version of Deleted User's preparation from the kavapedia. I used about 15 g of kava in a women's stocking. It was just under 1/4 of a cup. The only reason I didn't use more is because I will probably run out before my GHK shipment comes in and I'm trying to make it last. I put the stocking into a pot with 16 oz of water in it, and mashed it with the potato masher for 8-10 minutes. The brew looked stronger than my non-stocking, non-potato masher attempts had.

The first wash yielded me with almost a full 500 ml water bottle of grog that looked pretty thick. I put it in the fridge so that I could do the second wash. The second wash also looked stronger than my previous attempts. I used 8 oz of water and the potato masher for 8-10 minutes.

I'm used to the effects starting almost immediately though, and I've found with this preparation, they have a more delayed onset. I drank all 16 ounces of the first batch in about 10 minutes, and then waited to see if I could feel anything. I was disappointed, so I drank the 8 oz. of second wash that I had too. Finally now, maybe 30 minutes into it, I might be feeling some effects. They're definitely not the same effects, it's still heady but feels like different heady. Then again, it could be time of day, or food eaten (though my stomach was definitely empty) The strain is unknown, I asked my supplier through e-mail and she said it came from Vanuatu but I don't know if she buys it from a reputable source, or was just telling me where it came from, traditionally, and grows it in her backyard or something.

My effects always seemed so short lasting compared to the stuff I read on here. I'm wondering now if maybe the effects will last longer now that I've prepared the kava this way. I'm not sure which one I prefer. I think I'm going to keep experimenting with the potato masher method. The only thing I didn't do was soak the kava first - I let it soak maybe 10 minutes, but it didn't seem to be doing anything so I just grabbed the potato masher and went to town.

I'd make some more, but I have to get up early tomorrow so it's not a good idea.

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
I don't recall how long you've been drinking kava but in general it takes time. You gotta pay your dues. I've been drinking kava for about 3 years and some change. One method that works great for me may not be great for you. I've tried the blender, boil method, toss'n'wash, adding lecithin. Just experiment and use what works for you. Personal preference at the end of the day. I can't say one method is better at making stronger kava than another. You could technically come up with a prep method that on paper gives you the best possible extraction potential.