What's new

Different reaction to same Kava.

David718

Kava Curious
I have enjoyed Nambauan from Bula for a while. I pretty much narrowed it to be my hands down fave and get 5+lbs at a time. I usually enjoy 30-60grams in the evenings in a magic bullet and strain through a bag. Lately I haven't been having good effects. Even at 10g it gets me kind of down and dopey. I also throw in about 1 gram of instant, Nambauan. It worked great and gave it a little extra kick.
I found some old Melo and I prepped 15g of that and skipped the instant and what a difference.
Curious if anyone knows if it could be some sort of reverse tolerance to a particular strain it has their Kava changed? Or maybe it's that little bit if instant I'm adding? Trouble is they're out of Melo for a while, and I'm stuck with a few lbs of Numbawan.

Last edited:

Rand McNally

Kava Curious
I have enjoyed Nambauan from Bula for a while...
I've experienced something similar with their Nambawan (sp?) as well, minus the instant addition. I thought it was me. I wasn't sure if I loved or hated it. I thought maybe I killed the kavalactones by blending, thus heating, too long.

How long do you blend for? Great idea with the magic bullet, you made me think to use my forgotten dusty one instead of the Ninja behemoth that's a PITA to clean.

David718

Kava Curious
Coming back around to this thread because I realized what the problem was.

I received instand Nambauan instead of the regular root, and I' was using it like the regular. It was packaged in the same bag as regular. They are very similar in consistency unless you compare them side by side, but I didn't have any more instant or regular at that point to compare. It didn't even cross my mind that this could have been the case.

Can't say that I wasn't a bit upset with the supplier. I was basically having terrible sessions and assumed it was just my body reacting to longer Kava use.

:-(

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Coming back around to this thread because I realized what the problem was.

I received instand Nambauan instead of the regular root, and I' was using it like the regular. It was packaged in the same bag as regular. They are very similar in consistency unless you compare them side by side, but I didn't have any more instant or regular at that point to compare. It didn't even cross my mind that this could have been the case.

Can't say that I wasn't a bit upset with the supplier. I was basically having terrible sessions and assumed it was just my body reacting to longer Kava use.

:-(
At least you sorted it out, sometimes you have to laugh at these things. ;)

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I have enjoyed Nambauan from Bula for a while. I pretty much narrowed it to be my hands down fave and get 5+lbs at a time. I usually enjoy 30-60grams in the evenings in a magic bullet and strain through a bag. Lately I haven't been having good effects. Even at 10g it gets me kind of down and dopey. I also throw in about 1 gram of instant, Nambauan. It worked great and gave it a little extra kick.
I found some old Melo and I prepped 15g of that and skipped the instant and what a difference.
Curious if anyone knows if it could be some sort of reverse tolerance to a particular strain it has their Kava changed? Or maybe it's that little bit if instant I'm adding? Trouble is they're out of Melo for a while, and I'm stuck with a few lbs of Numbawan.
I'm glad you sorted out the problem. I would mention also though that sticking to one type of kava has never been optimal for me. Switching it up a bit seems better. If I drink the same kava too many days in a row then I do feel that the effects can lessen a bit, or maybe come and go.

Rami MeloMelo

Berkeley, CA
Kava Vendor
Finding what chemotype Numbawan is and then making a lateral move to a similar chemotype might help - but like Edward said above: "Variety is the spice of life" in this case, that spice is a tinge earthy, but oh so damn good!