What's new

Kava Fact of the Day Dihydrokavain (DHK) #2

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Dihydrokavain

Dihydrokavain, one of the six major kavalactones, is known as the number 2 in chemotypes, and also referred to as DHK. Generally, this kavalactone is seen in higher percentages usually either in the first second or third location on chemotype. Even though this kavalactone is prominent, few studies have been focused directly on it in its purified form. One study focuses on rat brainstem and how DHK and kava extract affects gastric vagal response. They found that the responses suggested kava extract as superior to placebo as a symptomatic treatment for anxiety. The study identified up to 15 kavalactones, among them DHK which they found possesses a significant anxiolytic effect. It found this effect due to potentiating GABA inhibitory neurotransmission [1]. In a second study eight-day-old chicks were screened for social separation stress. They found that chicks which were separated from the group would experience greater stress and vocalize more. This indicating a state of anxiety. It was found that kava extract fractions containing the highest concentrations of DHK showed the largest ability to reduce anxiety. They also found that fractions of extract containing less than 15% DHK or none failed to modulate anxiety levels. These studies demonstrate that dihydrokavain may be both necessary and sufficient in mediating kava’s anxiolytic effects [2].

[1] Yuan CS, Dey L, Wang A, Mehendale S, Xie JT, Aung HH, Ang-Lee MK. Kavalactones and dihydrokavain modulate GABAergic activity in a rat gastric-brainstem preparation. Planta Med. 2002 Dec;68(12):1092-6. doi: 10.1055/s-2002-36338.

[2] Smith, K., Dharmaratne, H., Feltenstein, M. et al. Anxiolytic effects of kava extract and kavalactones in the chick social separation-stress paradigm. Psychopharmacology 155, 86–90 (2001). https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s002130100686

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
Dihydrokavain

Dihydrokavain, one of the six major kavalactones, is known as the number 2 in chemotypes, and also referred to as DHK. Generally, this kavalactone is seen in higher percentages usually either in the first second or third location on chemotype. Even though this kavalactone is prominent, few studies have been focused directly on it in its purified form. One study focuses on rat brainstem and how DHK and kava extract affects gastric vagal response. They found that the responses suggested kava extract as superior to placebo as a symptomatic treatment for anxiety. The study identified up to 15 kavalactones, among them DHK which they found possesses a significant anxiolytic effect. It found this effect due to potentiating GABA inhibitory neurotransmission [1]. In a second study eight-day-old chicks were screened for social separation stress. They found that chicks which were separated from the group would experience greater stress and vocalize more. This indicating a state of anxiety. It was found that kava extract fractions containing the highest concentrations of DHK showed the largest ability to reduce anxiety. They also found that fractions of extract containing less than 15% DHK or none failed to modulate anxiety levels. These studies demonstrate that dihydrokavain may be both necessary and sufficient in mediating kava’s anxiolytic effects [2].

[1] Yuan CS, Dey L, Wang A, Mehendale S, Xie JT, Aung HH, Ang-Lee MK. Kavalactones and dihydrokavain modulate GABAergic activity in a rat gastric-brainstem preparation. Planta Med. 2002 Dec;68(12):1092-6. doi: 10.1055/s-2002-36338.

[2] Smith, K., Dharmaratne, H., Feltenstein, M. et al. Anxiolytic effects of kava extract and kavalactones in the chick social separation-stress paradigm. Psychopharmacology 155, 86–90 (2001). https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s002130100686
This very specific angle and evidence/indication of DHK's effects on anxiety modulation, I feel will be enormously useful for drinkers to ascertain which cultivar to go for at times.

But equally, we frequently hear reports of people drinking kava and actually feeling an increase in anxiety and mental unease at times.

In such cases, maybe it is insufficient, i.e. sub 15% or however that ratio, percentage, permeates into noble root, DHK which is needed more for certain individuals to temper the other Kavalactones potential to cause restless, raceyness (another word I suddenly like).

Just what strikes me anyway.

It makes me wonder whatba gigantic "mean" graph of the history of Kava over time, in terms of Kavalactone ratios, might look like.

In that, I wonder if many decades or centuries back, most kavas in general may have had a higher ratio of DHK. Or less?

When you have covered these areas and specifics of each KL Kapm I think to compile this all together, in order, in one thread would make an excellent educational insight for us all to refer back to and from as we make sense of our subjective experiences with different cultivars, and try to offer advice and suggestions to those struggling with certain Kavas.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
This very specific angle and evidence/indication of DHK's effects on anxiety modulation, I feel will be enormously useful for drinkers to ascertain which cultivar to go for at times.

But equally, we frequently hear reports of people drinking kava and actually feeling an increase in anxiety and mental unease at times.

In such cases, maybe it is insufficient, i.e. sub 15% or however that ratio, percentage, permeates into noble root, DHK which is needed more for certain individuals to temper the other Kavalactones potential to cause restless, raceyness (another word I suddenly like).

Just what strikes me anyway.

It makes me wonder whatba gigantic "mean" graph of the history of Kava over time, in terms of Kavalactone ratios, might look like.

In that, I wonder if many decades or centuries back, most kavas in general may have had a higher ratio of DHK. Or less?

When you have covered these areas and specifics of each KL Kapm I think to compile this all together, in order, in one thread would make an excellent educational insight for us all to refer back to and from as we make sense of our subjective experiences with different cultivars, and try to offer advice and suggestions to those struggling with certain Kavas.
Great idea. I fully intend on featuring a new kavalactone for the fact of the day until we have them all (6 majors). I'll post a thread with them all in one place once I'm through them all :)

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
Great idea. I fully intend on featuring a new kavalactone for the fact of the day until we have them all (6 majors). I'll post a thread with them all in one place once I'm through them all :)
I can see you possibly expanding it gradually over time as well, to possibly or surely be the most thororough, comprehensive, evidence and fact based compendium of the individual KL's features and effects anywhere online.

A work well worth the progress and effort, which I am sure will stand the test of time. You could really be laying things down here on a new level.

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
I am really enjoying these kavalactones profiles! This is awesome, just sad to think there are only 6 of them.
I had acquired the impression there are perhaps more? Just that they haven't been identified, labelled, categorized, and certainly not tested for yet.

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
Yeah just to reiterate this, because I feel it may have merit- the unknown factors regarding Kava's psychoavtivity, such as the minor, maybe non-labelled kavalactones, which science has not gotten a clear grip of so far...and therefore never even enter the equation ehich they may be a significant part of, even if only in a modulating sense by acting on how our bodies respond to the main 6 and specific chemotype.

Didn't make proper sense that scentence, but you guys know what I'm getting at lol!

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Yeah just to reiterate this, because I feel it may have merit- the unknown factors regarding Kava's psychoavtivity, such as the minor, maybe non-labelled kavalactones, which science has not gotten a clear grip of so far...and therefore never even enter the equation ehich they may be a significant part of, even if only in a modulating sense by acting on how our bodies respond to the main 6 and specific chemotype.

Didn't make proper sense that scentence, but you guys know what I'm getting at lol!
Actually it made complete sense, and science has backed this up with evidence regarding other kavalactones when added individually and as a complete extract. Half-lives of individual kavalactones increase significantly when in the presence of a full spectrum extract. Extrapolating that sort of scenario to the lesser known kavalactones isn't too far of a stretch, at least in my opinion.

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
Actually it made complete sense, and science has backed this up with evidence regarding other kavalactones when added individually and as a complete extract. Half-lives of individual kavalactones increase significantly when in the presence of a full spectrum extract. Extrapolating that sort of scenario to the lesser known kavalactones isn't too far of a stretch, at least in my opinion.
Exactly. Hopefully around the bend. But one step at a time, as you are showing us we still have plenty to discover, assimilate and teach on these main 6 for now.

Science can only move so fast hey?

Piperm

Kava Curious
I know this isnt Kava, but I will be trying Shell Ginger that has Dihydro-5,6-dehydrokavain (DDK) (from Alpinia zerumbet). I have 6 hydroponic plants.

My question, what do you think this would do in combination with kava or just alone?

here are some structures;

Attachments