What's new

Kava Fact of the Day Dihydromethysticin (DHM) #5

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Dihydromethysticin (di-hydro-meth-this-ta-sin)

Dihydromethysticin, also known as DHM and the number 5 on the chemotype list will be today’s topic. DHM is similar to DHK in that it can induce CYP1A1 pathways which have been thought to play a part in carcinogenesis (cancer forming process) [1]. On the flip side, it also has been found to have cancer preventative effects by blocking induction of lung tumors and DNA damage in mice [2]. Dihydromethysticin has shown to have some pain-relieving properties. The analgesic effectiveness of dihydrokavain and dihydromethysticin at 120 mg/kg body wt. was reported to be equivalent to that of aspirin at 200 mg/kg body wt [3]. It also has shown some ability to block poisoning as methysticin and dihydromethysticin were particularly effective in affording protection against the lethal effects of strychnine [4]. DHM is typically thought of as a nauseating kavalactone. Kavas with high levels of this kavalactone are known for strong psychotropic effects, and they usually cause side effects such as nausea due to high amounts [5]. Kavas with a 5 at the beginning of the chemotype are generally of the non-noble, or non-beverage grade variety, being overly sedative and long lasting. Kavas with the least amount of this kavalactone are generally favored over ones with higher amounts.

[1] Yan Li, Hu Mei, Qiangen Wu, Suhui Zhang, Jia-Long Fang, Leming Shi, Lei Guo, Methysticin and 7,8-Dihydromethysticin are Two Major Kavalactones in Kava Extract to Induce CYP1A1, Toxicological Sciences, Volume 124, Issue 2, December 2011, Pages 388–399, https://doi.org/10.1093/toxsci/kfr235

[2] Narayanapillai SC, Balbo S, Leitzman P, Grill AE, Upadhyaya P, Shaik AA, Zhou B, O'Sullivan MG, Peterson LA, Lu J, Hecht SS, Xing C. Dihydromethysticin from kava blocks tobacco carcinogen 4-(methylnitrosamino)-1-(3-pyridyl)-1-butanone-induced lung tumorigenesis and differentially reduces DNA damage in A/J mice. Carcinogenesis. 2014 Oct;35(10):2365-72. doi: 10.1093/carcin/bgu149. Epub 2014 Jul 22. PMID: 25053626; PMCID: PMC4178470.

[3] Wu D, Yu L, Nair MG, DeWitt DL, Ramsewak RS. Cyclooxygenase enzyme inhibitory compounds with antioxidant activities from Piper methysticum (kava kava) roots. Phytomedicine. 2002 Jan;9(1):41-7. doi: 10.1078/0944-7113-00068. PMID: 11924763.

[4] Mark Blumenthal, Yadhu N, Sing. Pharmacology of Kava and its Constituents. HerbalGram. 1997; No. 39:50 (http://cms.herbalgram.org/herbalgram/issue39/article496.html)

[5] Lebot, V., Merlin, M., Lindstrom, L., 1997. Kava, The Pacific Elixir. Yale University Press, New Haven.

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
Well if I only learnt one thing from this post Kapm, should that be the limit of my brain's learning capacity today...it's how NOT to spell "Strichinnin" (one way I may have guessingly mispelled it lol. Fortunately it has not entered my writing vocabulary in living memeory funnily, hence the useful lesson there.) ;)

Orz[EST]

Kava Enthusiast
I once sampled a kava that had no effects on the same night whatsoever. I guessed it was weak. Then I ate more (capsules, supposedly respected trademark). Still, it was as if not a kava except the taste that was quite good. When I doubled the dose, again, on the third day, then I still felt no effects on the third day but felt tired and unmotivated on the next day. It was clearly a component of kava kava.

I guess that was DHM, relevant for medical research as an anticancer and antipsychotic molecule.

I do not like the supposed DHM's effects (plus dehydratation?) alone, reduces energy level too harshly.

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
I once sampled a kava that had no effects on the same night whatsoever. I guessed it was weak. Then I ate more (capsules, supposedly respected trademark). Still, it was as if not a kava except the taste that was quite good. When I doubled the dose, again, on the third day, then I still felt no effects on the third day but felt tired and unmotivated on the next day. It was clearly a component of kava kava.

I guess that was DHM, relevant for medical research as an anticancer and antipsychotic molecule.

I do not like the supposed DHM's effects (plus dehydratation?) alone, reduces energy level too harshly.
It may have had lotsvto do with the incomplete spectrum in those capsules as well, hence the abscence of the usual modulating effect on any and all actives, by other actives and non actives in kava root. Just what strikes me based on logic I have sort of absorbed in relation to this.