What's new

Disappointed by Nene...

I have been trying nene from GHK every night for chronic insomnia and have had little to no effect from it besides an upset stomach. I find it hard to believe its reverse tolerance because I have had Vanuatu varieties of kava with immediate effects (and great sleep). I wanted to purchase Hawaiian strains from GHK rather than exported Vanuatu varieties for ethical reasons and many people say nene is amazing for sleep. Just feeling a bit disappointed but I guess this may just be how it goes sometimes?

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
I have been trying nene from GHK every night for chronic insomnia and have had little to no effect from it besides an upset stomach. I find it hard to believe its reverse tolerance because I have had Vanuatu varieties of kava with immediate effects (and great sleep). I wanted to purchase Hawaiian strains from GHK rather than exported Vanuatu varieties for ethical reasons and many people say nene is amazing for sleep. Just feeling a bit disappointed but I guess this may just be how it goes sometimes?
Is it GHK Instant Nene or Medium grind? How much are you drinking all at once? Like, a 5 ounce shell/cup?
If medium, how are you mixing and if Instant, how many teaspoons or tablespoons? in water.

Thank you for your response Alia!
It is the medium grind. I started off with two tablespoons and then upped to three (which gave me stomach issues). I put it in a cloth bag and massaged it into hot water with some coconut milk, thoroughly massaging and squeezing. I drink it all down in not too long, just cup after cup.
I know three tablespoons is not a “full dose”, but I am pretty lightweight when it comes to anything. I can definitely feel one tablespoon of moi, and the mountain rose herbs kava powder I only needed one teaspoon. By how much that messed with my stomach it really doesn’t make me want to try a larger amount :/

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
Thank you for your response Alia!
It is the medium grind. I started off with two tablespoons and then upped to three (which gave me stomach issues). I put it in a cloth bag and massaged it into hot water with some coconut milk, thoroughly massaging and squeezing. I drink it all down in not too long, just cup after cup.
I know three tablespoons is not a “full dose”, but I am pretty lightweight when it comes to anything. I can definitely feel one tablespoon of moi, and the mountain rose herbs kava powder I only needed one teaspoon. By how much that messed with my stomach it really doesn’t make me want to try a larger amount :/
I realise there are many ways to prepare kava and I would not suggest any one way is bad however I really like the method used on page 65
of Hawaiian 'Awa, Views of an Ethnobotanical Treasure. You can view in the publications section of associationforhawaiianawa.org
I used to get the nausea when I prepared with hot water. Personnally would never recommend that as you'll see on page 65.
To me, also, the 16 oz. to 1 gallon of water needs and lot of kneading! It's a bit strong.

Skinskava

70-80 g to 1 Liter-Day Dreamer- My Roots Run Deep-
It's not going to rock your socks off. It's a kava that isn't meant to do it. Hence why it's considered just about the most gentle awa. Wait till he restocks papa kea you will get where you want to be. Get a stronger kava like santa cruz and use nene to cut it like you would a lawena.

Shaman-warrior

Kava Curious
It's not going to rock your socks off. It's a kava that isn't meant to do it. Hence why it's considered just about the most gentle awa. Wait till he restocks papa kea you will get where you want to be. Get a stronger kava like santa cruz and use nene to cut it like you would a lawena.
It's a been over a year since he last had papa kea in stock

Shaman-warrior

Kava Curious
I like nene, but it's not going to blast you. I primarily use it for focus and energy. It does help me sleep a bit though, but nothing like Vanuatu kava. It's always been a mild kava.

Palmetto

Thank God!
I've tried most of the Hawaiian cultivars, but I think GHK's NeNe was the weakest of them all, and the least interesting for me personally. When he has other cultivars, some of them are great, such as Kumakua, Hanikapi Ai, Pana Ewa, and Mo'i. I can see why some people like Honokane Iki too. I never understood some people's fascination with Mahakea, Papa Kea, Papa Ele Ele, or Hiwa, but to each his own.

Elmanaro

Port Vila, Vanuatu
Kava Vendor
Try some Palarasul, that will knock you out pretty good.

Elmanaro

Port Vila, Vanuatu
Kava Vendor
Interesting, I do not find Palarasul particularly sleepy but balanced leaning heavy. A very good kava cultivar but not a sleeping pill in my experience.
Usually Silese will put me to bed pretty fast.