What's new

Discovered an extra step to get the most out of makas

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
Usually I have been freezing makas after they have run their course through the Aluball, about 3 washes.
Then after enough is accumulated in the freezer, I will thaw that and make a batch out of that, from traditional prep.
Then I noticed someone posted that they got good results from first blending, and then pushing through a strainer, and just drinking that, without the kneading of traditional prep.

But I experimented to see if I could run those makas through a 3rd step, after the Aluball, and then after the blender/strain method.
So after blending and straining, I put that liquid aside for later, and transferred those makas into a kneading bag. But I did not use the liquid from the blend/strain. Instead, I added pure, clear water to the kneading bag. And after kneading, to my surprise, the new liquid turned a nice brown color, which indicated to me, that there was still plenty of "goods" that could be extracted from the maka, even after the first 2 prep steps.

So I took the prepared liquid from the knead, and mixed it with the prepared liquid from the blend/strain, to make it even more potent. All this, from the same makas.
So basically, I found that I could first get 3 washes in the Aluball. Take that same makas and blend/strain that. And finally use the same makas to knead it.
I was surprised there was still good grog to be gotten out of it, even after the 3 steps (5 including the 3 different washes in the Aluball)
So, I found I got much more out of my powder, increasing output and efficiency, which is so important especially these days, when kava is both in short supply, as well as costly.

Last edited: