What's new

Do Kava capsules work?

Razz83

Kava Curious
Hello, everyone!
I tried kava for my first time last night. Just got some from my local health food store. I read in the FAQ that it probably isn't too good. It was Happy Camper - white root - piper methystictum 450 mg. I took 3 capsules and did feel relaxed. I really don't think it was a placebo effect. I didn't see anything on capsules in the FAQ. I'm a bit apprehensive about drinking it, as everyone says it's taste is unpleasant, and I have a strong gag reflex. Are capsules effective or maybe an extract/tincture? If I really must prepare and drink it, is there a less offensive powder for beginners?
-Razz

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Capsules can be effective depending on the source, but generally you'll find as a rule that capsules don't hold a candle to the tried and true version.
The least offensive kava drink that there is right now would be Kalm with Kava's extract drink mix. It still has some kava flavor, but nothing compared to traditionally made kava.

Razz83

Kava Curious
Capsules can be effective depending on the source, but generally you'll find as a rule that capsules don't hold a candle to the tried and true version.
The least offensive kava drink that there is right now would be Kalm with Kava's extract drink mix. It still has some kava flavor, but nothing compared to traditionally made kava.
Thank you for the information.
This sounds like it may be a good option. The only that worries me is that it lists California poppy extract as part of its blend 910mg blend. The reading I've been doing says that 900mg is a standard kava dose, so the the extra 10mg is likely the poppy extract. Do you know if 10mg on a daily or semi-daily basis is enough to cause a dependency?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Thank you for the information.
This sounds like it may be a good option. The only that worries me is that it lists California poppy extract as part of its blend 910mg blend. The reading I've been doing says that 900mg is a standard kava dose, so the the extra 10mg is likely the poppy extract. Do you know if 10mg on a daily or semi-daily basis is enough to cause a dependency?
Lucky for us California Poppy has absolutely nothing in it that could addict you. It doesn't produce any opiate compounds at all.