What's new

Do You Drink Micro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
Hiya, members. I'm trying to gauge interest in micronized kava. We sell a ton of 11 Year, but I'm thinking about adding a couple more micros to the lineup. They would probably be, Borogu, Taveuni, and maybe our new 'Eua. They would all be maka free. How often do you drink micro? How much do you drink per month? Do you drink traditional prep kava as well? Let me know what you think. Thanks for the help!

Judd

ThePiper

Kava Lover
I think that would be a fairly popular product. I myself generally don't like micro much, but many do. I think it's fair to say that it is especially, but not exclusively enjoyed by those who primarily seek kava as a supplement for its medicinal properties for anxiety etc and have less interest in the tradition and ritual of kava drinking.

D

Deleted User01

All I drink is Micronized and because of the convenience. I drink it at my desk and I don't have time to go into prep mode during the working day. What technique do you use for removing the Makas? There are a lot of sensitive stomachs around here but then again some of us like a little fiber in our diet.

Myk

Kava Enthusiast
I've tried a few micro's and found the potency lacking at suggested dosage levels. I love GHK's medium grind Moi but don't really feel the micro Moi ? Weird . I'd give Nambawan micro a try. With the Fu'u the danger would be drinking it all in one session in a micro version. Still the Fu'u is my favorite for daily all day long social fun.

Zentri

Kava Enthusiast
I'm afraid to try micro's, even though they say the makas is removed, I have stomach problems (had part of my colon removed) and fiber, even regular strained medium grind is more than enough to cause me some bloating and looser stools or gas.

But that's just me .. I wish I could use them sometimes because they seem stronger by weight if the makas is removed?

Last edited:

Tfin

Kava Enthusiast
I'm currently only drinking micro at this point due to the convenience factor. I'm lazy and have so little time in the afternoons after work that even using my Alubal was taking more time than I wanted. (although much less than traditional prep)....did I mention I'm lazy?

My kava consumption had slowed tremendously over the last couple months but I want to get it back up there.......trying for three to four times per week in place of alcohol. I'll typically mix 5-6 Tsp in juice and chug it down, then make another one 15 mins later. That's typically my session. Just received another 1/2 lb of 11 year waka the other day so that's what I'll partake of this evening.

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
Thanks for all the input, everyone.

@Deleted User01 You can remove makas during the pounding by using different sized screens and a vibrating sifter. It would be a bit of a learning process for me because we've never done it before. The 11 Year micro is processed by the supplier.

@Myk You definitely need a good amount of powder for the right effect. 5 grams of a 10% kavalactone kava would get you 500 milligrams of kavalactones, which is enough for a strong effect. It's also a good size spoon full of kava though. Of course if you're using a milder root, say 6%, you would need quite a bit more, 80%, for the same effect.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to get Nambawan micro. Part of what makes that kava so amazing is the processing technique, which the supplier is very secretive about. He would possibly sell me the roots, but according to him, there's more to it than that.

@Zentri I absolutely do not recommend micros for people with finicky stomachs or people that are prone to dermo. That's part of the reason we don't offer more micro options already. We are a lot of people's introduction to kava. Newbies would probably be enticed by the ease of micro, but some would undoubtedly get upset stomachs and think that all kava does that. Removing the makas definitely helps but not for everybody.

@Tfin You definitely sound like a micro fan. Keep a close eye on bulakavahouse.com. If we decide to go forward the earliest they will be available is a month or two.

avahZ

YAHWEH Shalom
Yes I drink micro and instant. As Deleted User01 said some of us are a bit sensitive to the makas. I am one of those folks. I can handle a good bit, but too much get the guts rolling. Due to the current spike in prices, I am a bit more judicious about my kava purchases. In fact I just got a pounder of your 11yr micronized cause I was able to get it about $5 less than the other vendors (even with shipping). Glad I did, good stuff!

Last edited:
D

Deleted User01

I think the typical Micro guy is either lazy (@Tfin) or just plain old strapped for time or perhaps a combo of the two. Actually, lazy just means you don't have time to mess with prep and you aren't going to make time. The other thing we share in common is non-finiky stomache and somewhat of an immunity to Dermo. I will say this, I have never had a problem with potency. I had two doses of 1tablespoon each and I got plenty of effects and slept like a baby. It's the sleep thing that really makes me think twice before considering an alcohol day.

Tfin

Kava Enthusiast
I think the typical Micro guy is either lazy (@Tfin) or just plain old strapped for time or perhaps a combo of the two. Actually, lazy just means you don't have time to mess with prep and you aren't going to make time. The other thing we share in common is non-finiky stomache and somewhat of an immunity to Dermo. I will say this, I have never had a problem with potency. I had two doses of 1tablespoon each and I got plenty of effects and slept like a baby. It's the sleep thing that really makes me think twice before considering an alcohol day.
This is a very good description of my current situation with kava.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
I tend to have both micros and medium grind in my pantry. I started with and almost exclusively drank micros for the first 9 months. I think they are a great option for newbies. Personally I had no stomach or nausea issues and micro gave me a great way to figure out a reliable and repeatable dosage as a newbie. Lets face it traditional prep can vary greatly with the method. The only reason I switched to mostly traditional now is the dermo. I still keep micros on hand because of the convenience.
I will say one other thing for micros - they come on faster and stronger than even the strongest grog I have made. So if folks like that Kavian "rush" that hits like a freight train - nothing in my mind beats the microgrind.

Jalak

Kava Curious
Some micro 'Eua and Nambawan would be amazing. More micros of quality kava are always welcome IMO.

avahZ

YAHWEH Shalom
Could not have said it better! Never had dermo; but, I also think we are generally lite weights when it comes how much kava we need and maybe a bit more financially stable to afford the higher costs...

nickbroken

Kava Enthusiast
only thing I drink, i would like some other options than GHK and KWK honestly I just think the more options the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.