What's new

Do you guys go to Kava bars?

Krunked up Tong

Kava Enthusiast
Hey guys,

I am from the UK so unfortunately we don't have any Kava bars over here. My dream is to open one up some day if it ever gets made legal.

I was wondering, do you folks that live in the US ever visit Kava bars? They look pretty cool. I do miss going to the pub and drinking a little bit sometimes (I am in recovery, so no longer drink), and a Kava bar seems like a great replacement.

I bet they're pretty expensive though. At the moment, I am happy chugging shells at home, occasionally with friends. I have got one of my mates into it recently, and he really likes it. It's not all bad here in the UK. At least we can get it!

I wish I had the situation you guys have in the US though, it costs an arm and a leg for Kava here, especially if you're drinking it regularly.

Forretressqt

Kava Curious
Man, living in NZ you'd think we'd have a bunch over here! (with almost 10 percent of our population being Pasifika)
Only two I know of are both in Auckland; far from where I live.

I absolutely would if I could, though it wouldn't be too much; I really enjoy the comfort of my own home and pace when I have kava, whether it's by myself or my kava buddy.

PurimGrogger

Because "Shell Silverstein" was already taken
Hey guys,

I am from the UK so unfortunately we don't have any Kava bars over here. My dream is to open one up some day if it ever gets made legal.

I was wondering, do you folks that live in the US ever visit Kava bars? They look pretty cool. I do miss going to the pub and drinking a little bit sometimes (I am in recovery, so no longer drink), and a Kava bar seems like a great replacement.

I bet they're pretty expensive though. At the moment, I am happy chugging shells at home, occasionally with friends. I have got one of my mates into it recently, and he really likes it. It's not all bad here in the UK. At least we can get it!

I wish I had the situation you guys have in the US though, it costs an arm and a leg for Kava here, especially if you're drinking it regularly.
When I'm in Boca Raton in Florida I try to hit the Nak. Many other Kava Bars also serve the other k thing. I try to avoid those

Krunked up Tong

Kava Enthusiast
Yeah most sell K@, that doesn't bother me though. I was taking K@ for quite a while when I came off of harder drugs, but I've stopped it completely now. Kava is FAR superior. It's just not understood well, it's a confusing substance. I still don't understand it properly.

I would really like to visit the Nak and shells Kava bar in Florida. I think I will take a trip there one day soon hopefully. I'm not sure what the rules are though regarding me flying to the USA as I was sectioned about 6 months ago. My mental health is fine now as long as I don't take drugs, but I've heard the US are a bit strict on that sort of thing. But yeah, that's a trip I want to go on.

Mixnpickngrinnin

Kava Curious
I do quite frequently and I enjoy it. IME there are two types- Polynesian- owned where Kava comes in BIG bowls, and each person at your table gets a solo cup (pretty cost effective actually, sold by the gallon or half gallon). No K@ in sight. These are my fave, but i am realizing they are pretty rare. Usually theres a pretty upbeat vibe with Reggae band or a DJ. The more common ones in the US sell by the individual glass (my Tongan friends are appalled by this!) and also sell K@. Still, their kava is good and the vibe is cool, more like coffee shop/ hipster vibes. Whats best about both is you realize the difference between kava bars and alcohol bars. It really drives home how annoying, loud and obnoxious drunk people can be in bars. Kava bars, hipster or Polynesian ownsed,are way more laid back and peaceful.

bogmonkey

Kava? Yes please!
Here's the deal. Most "kava" bars in the USA should be considered K@ bars (that also serve kava).
There's plenty of exceptions, but the vast majority of such bars here in the Tampa Bay Florida area are primarily K@ hangouts.
They also generally serve low-quality bulk kava. Many don't even offer a choice between "heady" or "body" kavas.

Even some halfway-decent kava places don't offer the premium kava experience I can create for myself at home. And the cost is astounding.
At an ACTUAL kava bar near me, you can upgrade to premium kavas and a double shell is like 8-9 dollars.
It's fine for once in a while, and the crowd is always good folks and good vibes, but the same shell at home is maybe a dollar or less.
It's going to be a very rare situation that a kava bar can even offer a kava that compares to the top-shelf stuff I have at home.

I don't mind the K@ crowd, but it's a different vibe and different experience than a more traditional kava bar.
I've had K@ on many occasions and it's more of a drugged/opiate feeling. I remember the first time I tried it, I was shocked that it was legal!
It does lend itself to chilling out and having nice conversations, and the people are generally mellow and friendly - so there's no conflict here.

I do have a very nice K@-kava bar near me (Grassroots Kava House here in St Petersburg FL)...I consider it a perfect option.
They offer three varieties/blends of kava, all decent, though not premium. The vibe is outstanding and a great conversation can always be had. It is the "neighborhood pub" of kava bars around here for me.
Sure, probably 70-80 percent of people there are drinking K@, but they honor kava in a genuine way and the K@ vibe melds easily with the kava vibe.

The yuckiest option is always some vape store hangout that "also sells K@ and kava"...always the worst/cheapest versions of both things.
No vibe, no realness, and you are surrounded by glass smokeware and vape stuff.

I apologize for rambling but I just had a double shell of Kava Time's Gourmet Savusavu Waka - and my being is filled with a flowy lightness.

PapaCthulu

Kava Lover
We had one here that was only a 15 or 20 minute drive from where I live. It closed down during the pandemic. Unfortunately I had only discovered kava like a month before it closed. I did get to go to one in Greenville South Carolina. It was nice. Very relaxing atmosphere and the pricing was decent.