What's new

Kava Preparation Do you strain your micronized?

BourbonMac

I like herbs
When I first started it, I didn't but it got me very constipated over time. It's just so chunky, it's hard to prep 10g well, but last night I somehow managed to mostly dissolve it in some warm almond milk. Haven't used kava in 4 months because I'd had dermopathy after about 2 months of daily use, wasn't using a moisturizer at the time though. 5g seems able to dissolve pretty well. I did try it in an Aluball once or twice and it seemed a bit less potent. I'm assuming straining reduces the potency of it? I know a lot of people do since it can be hard on the guts and Kavafied on YT suggests to strain it. My Aluball is basically moldy, the ball itself that is. I cleaned it with hot water the best I could, I'd just forgotten to clean it out and it sat for months and smells... pretty strongly of kava. I ordered a new one that should get to me tomorrow.

BLECK! Re-dosed 5g and swallowed so many clumps... It's so gross. I get wicked constipated from unstrained which I found out the hard way many months back. Strained is like coffee and helps me go.

Last edited:

BourbonMac

I like herbs
It seems even kneading it, the potency goes WAY down but maybe that's because I don't drink it all in one go like unstrained. Either way unstrained micronized have been the most intoxicating kava experiences I've had, even 60g medium grind doesn't compare to what 15g unstrained micronized has given me. I strained 20g of it a few days ago and I felt good but I wasn't feeling the incredible euphoria that came along with the unstrained. Too bad drinking it like this regularly gives me constipation. I hadn't had any kava in 4 months and I forgot how good it could feel, particularly micronized. It's almost not even surprising people have popped negative for MDMA because one night one 15mg I genuinely felt like I was on a low dose of it combined with Valium or something. I just wanted to chat up with every person I knew.

Pzk

Kava Enthusiast
To me it was similar. Made my own micronized once, and it was the first time I could compare it to benzos. Wonderful, woke up the next day with such a great feeling.
But I guess it took 2 weeks to recover for my bowel... you realize too late...

BourbonMac

I like herbs
Did 40g of a blend of kavas I had tonight and felt pretty great, so I was wrong saying 60g = 15g micronized. It's more like 40g of medium grind is around there. Added 8g of unstrained micro afterwards which added a notable headiness but otherwise not a lot of intoxication. If I'd done 15g I'd be toast though, I've never done 40g all in one drink, I mostly use the Aluball. Kneading is noticeably more potent but not by much, I'd say I only notice like a 10% increase in effects. Maybe to some that's a lot, I think many just don't strain it with the Aluball for long enough. Kavafied shows 30 seconds to a minute but I go for 5.

Pzk

Kava Enthusiast
I always double strain micro too many stomach issues better off going for instant imo
Micronized is actually (no bad intention, just saying) a "rip off". You only need a sieve from amazon with the fitting mesh size for 15$ and and you can make it yourself. Depending on the ground of your kava you can get 60% micronized +/- and still have 40% you can prepare in a traditional way...

Shaq194

Kava Curious
Micronized is actually (no bad intention, just saying) a "rip off". You only need a sieve from amazon with the fitting mesh size for 15$ and and you can make it yourself. Depending on the ground of your kava you can get 60% micronized +/- and still have 40% you can prepare in a traditional way...
It’s worth a try imo I’ve only had BKH 11 year Waka…it was actually some of the strongest kava I’ve had super inebriating and I strained it twice but oh man my stomach was upset the whole night and even after straining there was a crazy amount of sediment at the bottom of the tanoa

• Wow
Reactions: Pzk

BourbonMac

I like herbs
Is it really? They say on KWK it's stronger and you definitely don't need to take anywhere near as much. It's like the kief of kava I guess. Regardless I've been doing medium grind again, it feels incredible, have to get more as I mostly just have micronized now. I combined Santa Cruz and loloma waka and had a very energetic feeling that caused me to start cleaning around my room, like some cups of coffee but with an intoxication. Medium grind definitely feels smoother and tastes a bit less bad strained. 2 AluBalls of medium grind filled with 20g is perfect though, I don't miss kneading. It wasn't worth like a 10% boost in effects