What's new

Does instant kava dissolve?

Ymir

I got a bag of this https://www.realkava.com/Kava-Kwik-Instant-Kava_c_12.html
I'm new to kava and it is running out quite fast because I need to consume quite a few tablespoons to feel the effects even though a teaspoon is recommended. It says it was made with dehydrated fresh kava root juice but it does not dissolve in water/juice. It mixes well then settles to the bottom which makes me wonder if it Is perhaps micronised?

The effects I feel aren't strong or very pronounced at all , but it calms my crippling anxiety which is all I need from it really. I also
get zero nausea no matter how much i consume (4-6 tablespoons is the most I have had in a night since starting 2 weeks ago I estimate)

The taste is actually somewhat pleasant (ive heard awful reports about the taste) and its very numbing. Just wondering if anyone else has experience with this paticular brand. It's the only kava I have tried and I heard good things about the supplier but I have nothing to compare it to.

Osadandaula UK

Kava Enthusiast
I've not tried this brand but I think all instant (dehydrated) is similar. Fresh made kava has a lot of sediment, it starts noticeably settling almost immediately.

My experience with instant (solomon's chief) is it also settles, which is what I'd expect given what it's made from. I've not tried leaving it before but even a few moments and I'll swill the last bit before it goes down, as it's already starting to settle.

I fine I get almost no nausea with instant, I'm not sure why. 4-6 tablespoons is an expensive business, so not something I've done often.

If it's your first Kava experience, there are a couple of things to highlight. 1; Kava is subtle compared to say alcohol or marajuana. 2; revers tolerance is no joke, it may be that you'll feel more affect the longer you keep trying.

Certainly all sounds quite normal to me.

Ymir

I've not tried this brand but I think all instant (dehydrated) is similar. Fresh made kava has a lot of sediment, it starts noticeably settling almost immediately.

My experience with instant (solomon's chief) is it also settles, which is what I'd expect given what it's made from. I've not tried leaving it before but even a few moments and I'll swill the last bit before it goes down, as it's already starting to settle.

I fine I get almost no nausea with instant, I'm not sure why. 4-6 tablespoons is an expensive business, so not something I've done often.

If it's your first Kava experience, there are a couple of things to highlight. 1; Kava is subtle compared to say alcohol or marajuana. 2; revers tolerance is no joke, it may be that you'll feel more affect the longer you keep trying.

Certainly all sounds quite normal to me.
I ended up getting some instant king solomon from another vendor. Which seems to be active at half a teaspoon wither I have reverse tolerance or not.. Strange that the first bag I got was a dud, as it was from quite a well reputed source.. Maybe some strains just don't work for certain people. I am replying so late because I had a long break from it (had a slight panic attack because it was so strong on my first attempt which put me off it) , and gave it another shot last night.. The taste and smell is even more nice and floral than the bag i got from realkava too.

Jean

Kava Curious
Kava powder never dissolves whatever the form (root powder, micronized, instant obtained by dehydrating...), it makes a suspension of solid kava particles in water that will always settle at the bottom with time (unless the particles are so small that a Brownian motion occurs, what surely doesn't happen with the usual kava particle size). Even if you add some colloids to help them float in water, it will settle at the end, only at a later time. There is on this forum dedicated discussions about the effect of particle size on nausea, particularly the fact that instant kava has a bigger mean particle size than filtered kava powder when the mesh of the strainer is around 80 or higher (the higher the mesh number, the smaller the hole).

kavapros

Kava Curious
If it sinks to the bottom that's fine just give it a stir. All kava will have sediment that sinks, and all kava needs to be mixed/stirred well in between serving.