What's new

Does the Nausea go away?

TJo

Kava Curious
Although I generally can handle Kava, every now and then I may have a little too much and get quite nauseous.

Does your ability to handle this get better over time?
Do you have any tips to ease the nausea while keeping the dosage the same?

Thanks,

Tim

Blinkyrocket

Kava Enthusiast
Idk if it goes away, but it does seem to vary over time and/or with changes in cultivars. I've been getting more nausea lately, whereas I've been getting no nausea whatsoever until a few days ago. So, I wouldn't say it gets better over time, but it might be a cultivar thing. If one cultivar (Borogu, Mahakea, Pouni Ono etc. Just to name some random ones) causes nausea, just try another until you find one that doesn't cause any nausea. That's been my experience.

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
Although I generally can handle Kava, every now and then I may have a little too much and get quite nauseous.

Thanks,

Tim
One option would be to try different kinds of kava. I definitely find some more nauseating than others. The biggest thing, I have found (unless taking a really large dose) is to try to work on it mentally (which still doesn't always work). But to try to be calm when drinking it, not to be afraid of it, and to remind myself that it really is a beverage.
Another option is to mix it a little weaker; but then that will increase how full your stomach is which could provide its own issues.
Also, sometimes light snacks can ease nausea too; and a lot of people like to use ginger (Jury is out on that one for me).

Last edited:

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
For me nausea nearly always comes from drinking it too strong and trying to get too big a buzz. I find that if I come off the gas pedal a bit, mix it a bit weaker, I'll still enjoy it but nearly always avoid any major nausea. I find the length of time to get to the same destination makes a difference too. I can get to feel really good after multiple weaker shells as well as I can when I'm slamming strong shells but it's the rate of input that changes and makes it less likely for me to feel bad.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
In a year and a half of daily kava drinking (avg 3L/day) I have never experienced nausea from kava. Needless to say I have never blown chunks from kava, though it does make me gush effusively. There’s probably individual variation.

Ice helps. Also, I sip continuously rather than following the paradigm of discrete shell dosages, so I would gear down if any unwanted side effect began to appear, kava works great like that. I think with practice I can get precise desired dosing, fine-tuned by rate of sipping and strength of prep. I don’t recommend it for anyone, let alone everyone, but it does work for me and I arrived here by riding the listen to the kava train.

Also, everything @Edward said........

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity

Thanks,

Tim
keep the same dosage but consume it over a longer period of time. i.e. sip instead of chug, eat small amts of fruit between sips. try consuming something with a little ginger. i.e suck on some ginger candy or drink some ginger ale as a chaser.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
In a year and a half of daily kava drinking (avg 3L/day) I have never experienced nausea from kava. Needless to say I have never blown chunks from kava, though it does make me gush effusively. There’s probably individual variation.

Ice helps. Also, I sip continuously rather than following the paradigm of discrete shell dosages, so I would gear down if any unwanted side effect began to appear, kava works great like that. I think with practice I can get precise desired dosing, fine-tuned by rate of sipping and strength of prep. I don’t recommend it for anyone, let alone everyone, but it does work for me and I arrived here by riding the listen to the kava train.

Also, everything @Edward said........
Yours must be the most chilled house in Canada, 3 litres a day... that's before the rewashes though right? ;-)

krunk-da-krunk

Krunk-a-dee-da-krunk-da-krunk
When I feel a little sick I eat a few hand fulls of sunflower seeds. fixes me right up and ready for another shell. Give it a shot

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin

Thanks,

Tim
I think once you fine tune your preferred kava(s) and start drinking those regularly, the nausea will go away. I found that it was the case with me. There were some times that I felt nauseated but I know it's because I drank too much, too fast or didn't add enough water.

AZcat

Kava Drinker

Thanks,
Tim
I had a big problem with that very recently. I was trying some Instant Papa Ele Ele I got from GHK. I wasn't sure how much to use, so the first time I used half a teaspoon. and it did nothing. Then I did a whole Teaspoon, and it still did nothing. The next day I did two heaped teaspoons, and I felt it, but also got severe nausea, which lasted for a very long time, and nothing seemed to help in making it go away. Finally last night on an inspiration I decided to drink some Ouzo ( Greek Spirit ) and after the first shot I could feel the nausea going away and by the second shot the nausea was completely gone. I do not drink alcohol often but only use it for medicinal purposes.

yiki

Kava Enthusiast
For me, the nausea gets worse and worse, especially if i try to drink a lot quickly which has become a necessity since there are no inexpensive high quality kavas on the market no more.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Not really. If you drink too much, too quickly, and certain cultivars are more prone to this (usually ones with more of the heavier KLs). However, having been through it once or twice lessens your anxiety about it. Even when I get nauseous I know it won't typically last long and I am unlikely to blow chunks. Most of the time if you just sit, drink some more water, or a little bit of food it will go away rather quickly and you can get on with enjoying your krunk. Ginger beer is also a great way to help reduce some nausea (and tastes great). Fever Tree is a good brand.

muddywaters

Kava Enthusiast
Nausea is rare for me and it only comes if I drink too much too fast multiple days in a row and even then it's not too bad. It could also be what your eating isn't mixing with the kava in your belly too well, I think a lot of people overlook how their diet plays in what goes on in there with kava.

Pauluk

Kava Enthusiast
It's rare for me. But as has been said, too much too quick had got me lol. I just have something to eat and I'm good to go. When I was having 3or 4tsp of micro a day to help me through the Disney world experience I got a bit of nausea a few times. Again I just ate something and it went away.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
It's rare for me. But as has been said, too much too quick had got me lol. I just have something to eat and I'm good to go. When I was having 3or 4tsp of micro a day to help me through the Disney world experience I got a bit of nausea a few times. Again I just ate something and it went away.
You sure it wasn't hearing it's a small world for the 500th time while stuck in a creepy animated version of hell?

Pauluk

Kava Enthusiast
More likely it was being gaugged 200 usd for fast oasses at universal or queue for 300 minutes. Or maybe paying 10 usd for a pint of piss budweiser at Disney. Or the heat, the crowds, half hour in line at security to even get into these crap holes. So much to choose from.