What's new

Double vision problems

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
Could micron size of strainer play a role? I had a batch of kava a couple weeks ago which was making me extremely crosseyed. I brewed 45grams of root in 800ml water and poured a third of it for my friend, so overall I was only consuming thirty grams of brewed root, but at seven in the evening, I had the spins for my entire walk home, and then when I got home I had them for a while too until I woke up from my nap and they went away. This particular batch of kava was extremely strong though I was getting kind of tired of trying to play Solitaire with one eye open and switching eyes and still spinning. Maybe there are factors which cause this beyond just the amount of kava drank? Love to learn more!

mlenny

Kava Curious
That's probably why. Kava interacts with some medications to varying degrees.
Yeah, it's zonisamide, lamotrigine, clomipramine, lithium, trazodone, two forms of quetiapine, primidone (which becomes phenobarbital in the body), omeprazole, levothyroxine, and propranolol specifically, if that makes any difference.

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
Sounds like some blood pressure stuff and some GABA stuff and brain chemistry stuff - certainly interacts with kava, but I don't want to tell you to take kava out of your diet. I get the double vision from kava too and I don't take any meds. It can be a combination of "everyone gets it" and "kava interacts with those medicines". Still in quest and search of ways to minimize it, anybody had luck with using a finer strainer or different temperatures of kava brewing?

What if certain cultivars have a chemotype which supports more stable vision? The Kavain to Dihydromethysticin ratio might be a consideration.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Yeah, it's zonisamide, lamotrigine, clomipramine, lithium, trazodone, two forms of quetiapine, primidone (which becomes phenobarbital in the body), omeprazole, levothyroxine, and propranolol specifically, if that makes any difference.
Oh, it makes a difference, alright. It makes a HUGE difference.

Here are some potential interactions between the drugs you listed:

• Zonisamide and Lamotrigine: these drugs are both antiepileptic medications, and may interact when taken together. This can lead to an increased risk of side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and decreased coordination.
  • Clomipramine: this is a tricyclic antidepressant that can interact with a number of medications, including lithium, trazodone, and quetiapine. When taken with lithium, clomipramine can increase the risk of serotonin syndrome, a potentially life-threatening condition. When taken with trazodone or quetiapine, clomipramine can increase the risk of QT prolongation, a type of abnormal heart rhythm.
  • Lithium: this is a mood stabilizer that can interact with a number of medications, including clomipramine, trazodone, quetiapine, and primidone. When taken with clomipramine, lithium can increase the risk of serotonin syndrome. When taken with trazodone or quetiapine, lithium can increase the risk of QT prolongation. When taken with primidone, lithium can increase the risk of neurotoxicity.
  • Trazodone and Quetiapine: these are both medications used to treat mood disorders and may interact when taken together. This can lead to an increased risk of side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and decreased coordination.
  • Primidone: this is an anticonvulsant medication that can interact with lithium. When taken with lithium, primidone can increase the risk of neurotoxicity.
  • Omeprazole: this is a proton pump inhibitor that can interact with some medications, including levothyroxine and propranolol. When taken with levothyroxine, omeprazole can decrease the absorption of levothyroxine, potentially reducing its effectiveness. When taken with propranolol, omeprazole can increase the concentration of propranolol in the blood, potentially increasing the risk of side effects.
  • Levothyroxine: this is a medication used to treat thyroid disorders that can interact with omeprazole. When taken with omeprazole, levothyroxine can be less effective because omeprazole can decrease its absorption.
  • Propranolol: this is a medication used to treat high blood pressure and other conditions that can interact with omeprazole. When taken with omeprazole, propranolol can be more concentrated in the blood, potentially increasing the risk of side effects.

This is without even mentioning kava. Needless to say, you've got a quite a story to unravel even before you begin to consider kava. Talk to you doctor about the list of drugs you're taking, and ask them if there are any known side effects with taking them together. Start there, and work your way out. With that number of drugs there isn't a pharmacologist on earth that can tell you how kava might be interacting. I'm personally surprised you don't get double-vision without any kava at all.

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
Oh, it makes a difference, alright. It makes a HUGE difference.

Here are some potential interactions between the drugs you listed:

• Zonisamide and Lamotrigine: these drugs are both antiepileptic medications, and may interact when taken together. This can lead to an increased risk of side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and decreased coordination.
  • Clomipramine: this is a tricyclic antidepressant that can interact with a number of medications, including lithium, trazodone, and quetiapine. When taken with lithium, clomipramine can increase the risk of serotonin syndrome, a potentially life-threatening condition. When taken with trazodone or quetiapine, clomipramine can increase the risk of QT prolongation, a type of abnormal heart rhythm.
  • Lithium: this is a mood stabilizer that can interact with a number of medications, including clomipramine, trazodone, quetiapine, and primidone. When taken with clomipramine, lithium can increase the risk of serotonin syndrome. When taken with trazodone or quetiapine, lithium can increase the risk of QT prolongation. When taken with primidone, lithium can increase the risk of neurotoxicity.
  • Trazodone and Quetiapine: these are both medications used to treat mood disorders and may interact when taken together. This can lead to an increased risk of side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and decreased coordination.
  • Primidone: this is an anticonvulsant medication that can interact with lithium. When taken with lithium, primidone can increase the risk of neurotoxicity.
  • Omeprazole: this is a proton pump inhibitor that can interact with some medications, including levothyroxine and propranolol. When taken with levothyroxine, omeprazole can decrease the absorption of levothyroxine, potentially reducing its effectiveness. When taken with propranolol, omeprazole can increase the concentration of propranolol in the blood, potentially increasing the risk of side effects.
  • Levothyroxine: this is a medication used to treat thyroid disorders that can interact with omeprazole. When taken with omeprazole, levothyroxine can be less effective because omeprazole can decrease its absorption.
  • Propranolol: this is a medication used to treat high blood pressure and other conditions that can interact with omeprazole. When taken with omeprazole, propranolol can be more concentrated in the blood, potentially increasing the risk of side effects.

This is without even mentioning kava. Needless to say, you've got a quite a story to unravel even before you begin to consider kava. Talk to you doctor about the list of drugs you're taking, and ask them if there are any known side effects with taking them together. Start there, and work your way out. With that number of drugs there isn't a pharmacologist on earth that can tell you how kava might be interacting. I'm personally surprised you don't get double-vision without any kava at all.
Extremely good advice. Worth re-reading! I just re-read "Kava as a Clinical Nutrient" and am once again amazed by this plant!

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
Kap'n does the work so I don't have to , ha ha. I love chemistry and I wanted to do a writeup, this is much better. Yes, I think asking your doctor about potential side effects is a great idea.

Also, does kava have some anti epillictic activity?

Valyn

Kava Curious
Kap'n does the work so I don't have to , ha ha. I love chemistry and I wanted to do a writeup, this is much better. Yes, I think asking your doctor about potential side effects is a great idea.

Also, does kava have some anti epillictic activity?
I believe it does, but I think Kap'n would give a better answer. Although I would never expect kava to replace medication or stop a legitimate seizure.

One thing I noticed is kava seems to calm seizure activity for a few hours and then has rebound effects. However, this experience is from the perspective of an individual recovering from benzodiazapines which makes them more sensitive to anything revolving around gaba.

I've had two years of using kava and it's been helping with benzos but I still take anti-seizure medicine.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
That seems like a lot of psych meds. I used to take lamotrigine pre-kava, but I stopped because I was having too many side effects from that on it's own.

T

tomatochips

hey guys. haha the kava has hit me all at once. i thought it was bunk but no, it definitely is doing something. I have to close one eye to type this due to double vision!. 110g of micronised kava at ~T-40min - T-10min. Not feeling all that euphoric. A little bit. Feel pretty relaxed.
I am retrying kava after having a bad anxiety-ridden experience a few weeks ago. (that time was combined with poppy seed tea which I suspect had a high quantity of thebaine - which can cause anxiety). I am also on an SSRI. I recall taking Kava before I went on an SSRI and it was very euphoric. I have read reports that other people have noticed SSRIs dampening the positive effects of kava. Interesting. I wonder what mechanism is at play.

Not feeling any anxiety this time around. Yay!!!

I am recovering from a bad stimulant addiction (IV meth) so maybe that's why I am not feeling all that euphoric because no substance is gonna give as much dopamine as meth did. I mean my mood is definitely elevated lol but nowhere near the euphoria that I used to get with meth. Fuck meth.

PS: does anyone else notice kava having a kind of rancid smell. Like slightly sour. ,Musty. Kind of animalic. I quite like it lol.

Last edited by a moderator: