What's new

Drinking kava while sick?

krunkedout

Kava Lover
Just outbid curiosity, have any o you continued to have kava sessions when you had a cold or flu? The reason I ask is because I might have a cold, throat is killing me. But I'm still goin to have a rather large kava sesh with my buddy today. Do you think this is goin to make me feel better or potentially make me feel like shit?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Better. I used the extract from paradise kava when I had the flu and it helped me feel better and actually sleep. I'm all for it.

kl.pep

Kava Curious
i have to agree...i think i've been battling a cold all week, but the kava seems to keep it from coming on "full strength". I'm on a mix of Tudei and V3 right now and totally blasted. Don't have any flu symptoms at the moment!

krunkedout

Kava Lover
I had been fighting mine off for a week now and today it started hitting hard, and what's worse is I have to go to work tomorrow, *sigh* oh well. Thus is life.

kl.grudge

Kava Curious
I believe in 'Kava: the Pacific Elixir", they specifically mention the mouth numbing powers of kava being used for sore throats. Plus like Kapmcrunk, usually the best thing I can do for a cold is to sleep and kava is great for that.

kavalover

Outsider
I wouldn't drink kava if I had the flu, I don't get the flu very often (I don't even get vaccinated for it) but when I do I get it HARD and for days. I couldn't even imagine drinking kava on that. I get colds all the time though, I love getting colds. Kava is awesome for stuffy nose and sore throats I find. Doesn't cure it, just makes it bearable and almost enjoyable.

kl.Dubkava

Kava Curious
I'm currently fighting off a cold and the kava definitely helps with that horrible feeling of unease a cold can bring. That next day afterglow that kava sometimes gives off is definitely making it easier to go about business!!

Prince Philip

Duke of Edinborogu
Depends on the sick, really. But if I can't stand to drink grog, I'll eat extract or chew on a lateral rootlet.

kl.Dubkava

Kava Curious
Anyone know what kava's effects are on the immune system? Would it be an immunosuppressant like say alcohol would be?

Prince Philip

Duke of Edinborogu
I don't think there's that much research. It's an allergen, which would point to an immune system weakening effect. The problem is that any research we have is probably on solvent-based whole-plant extracts. It does promote neurogenisis and cancer apoptosis. Also, given Adi's anecdote about the elderly gentleman in Hawaii who achieved lasting arthritis relief from kava, it seems to have a curcumin-like effect against inflammation.

One factor that must be considered in discussing the immune system is the impact of stress. If we give happy, optimistic, well-adjusted people who sleep 8.5 hours a night a pint of kava every night (4, 4oz shells), their immune system has an extra load on it. If we give a neurotic, insomniac, overloaded poor old sod a pint of kava every night, his stress level goes down and sleep quality and duration improves, so his immune function goes up. I don't know if it works that way, of course, but I'd be willing to participate as one of the gallon-per-day study participants.

Looks like someone else had the same idea.  This product is a mix of herbs (and zinc) that seems to be designed to relax the subject so that they stop fretting away their immunity.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
An allergen? I haven't thought about it as an allergen, but when I drink kava my nose runs like Usain Bolt.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
It'll work. Just lay on the couch or the bed and sleep when you feel like you can. Feel better!

I was really sick for like 3 days and then I just had some Kava cause I figured well if I'm gonna sit here I might as well have a few shells and put on some Van Morrison. To my surprise the next day I felt good as new. I can't explain why this is but it made me feel legit. My friend also did this when he was sick and it was the same result. We were drinking our usual weekday black sand from nakamal.