What's new

Drinking kava with previous mono (Epstein-Barr) diagnosis

Cuzzie

Kava Enthusiast
Hi all - I’m NOT asking for medical advice, just curious for opinions. I have had mono twice in my life. The last time I was sick with it was earlier this year, and during that time my liver was inflamed and my liver levels were high. I recovered from it and my labs show my liver levels are now normal. I’m fairly certain my doctor wouldn’t know anything about kava if I asked him if it’s safe to drink kava given my past mono.

I’ve read the literature that says kava is safe, but even that literature often recommends against drinking kava for people with prior liver issues.

Does anyone know anything specific about the recommendations of kava if someone has had prior elevated liver levels?

Thanks!

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Hi all - I’m NOT asking for medical advice, just curious for opinions. I have had mono twice in my life. The last time I was sick with it was earlier this year, and during that time my liver was inflamed and my liver levels were high. I recovered from it and my labs show my liver levels are now normal. I’m fairly certain my doctor wouldn’t know anything about kava if I asked him if it’s safe to drink kava given my past mono.

I’ve read the literature that says kava is safe, but even that literature often recommends against drinking kava for people with prior liver issues.

Does anyone know anything specific about the recommendations of kava if someone has had prior elevated liver levels?

Thanks!
Not a doctor.

Are you taking any medicines related to this issue? The literature recommends that because they're still postulating exactly what happened with the liver injuries back in the late 90s early 2000s. From what I'm reading it was likely due to herb-drug interactions where the metabolization of a specific drug caused issues when it's pathway was being used by kava.

Cuzzie

Kava Enthusiast
Not a doctor.

Are you taking any medicines related to this issue? The literature recommends that because they're still postulating exactly what happened with the liver injuries back in the late 90s early 2000s. From what I'm reading it was likely due to herb-drug interactions where the metabolization of a specific drug caused issues when it's pathway was being used by kava.
Thanks for the reply. No I’m not on any medications at all and all my numbers are totally normal again. That’s actually also why I posted my other comment yesterday asking for info on vendors with the most stringent testing methods. Even if vendors have the best of intentions, it sounds like it’s still possible for mold or other issues to slip through if all batches aren’t tested. So with my past liver concerns, I want to make sure if I have kava, that it’s guaranteed it has been tested to be 100% free of any impurities.