What's new

Dropped a block of frozen makas on a dirty floor

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
For someone who is more "germ-conscious" than the average person, what can be done to save a frozen block of makas, that was dropped on a dirty floor.
Can't really rinse it, as it will immediately melt and also wash away some good kava components.
I'm thinking maybe something natural and edible, that could help kill the germs, maybe like sea salt, or lemon juice ?
But even if that works, I wonder if they'd have a negative effect when the makas are prepared.
Or anything else ?

Aceofwands9

Kava Enthusiast
One idea I have is not to rinse it but to spray it with an herbal tea or water with a few drops of essential oil (personally I don't like to ingest essential oils which is why I first reccomended the tea. Same thing, different preps ) that are anti-microbial and also edible. Lavender is very anti-bacterial and might make a tasty combo with the kava.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
doesn't boiling kill the kava ?
nope. The old idea that kavalactones degrade at 140°F was a bit of a low estimate. Boiling for hours on end likely wouldn't see much if any degradation in kavalactones, however taste, flavor, and viscosity would take a big hit.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
doesn't boiling kill the kava ?
Some people say it makes it stronger...I've had mixed results with it. You're almost definitely gonna get a little bit more out of your makas by boiling them though. Just keep the boil time as short as possible...it's makes a thick slimy grog, it's pretty gross. ::chugger::

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
I'm curious to know the minimum time and temperature, in order to kill all bacteria.
First, does it need to be a full, rolling boil the entire time ?
And for how long ?
I've heard frequently about people kneading their kava in very warm water like about 110 degrees. Just curious if that was enough to kill the bad stuff

Zaphod

Kava Lover
For someone who is more "germ-conscious" than the average person, what can be done to save a frozen block of makas, that was dropped on a dirty floor.
Can't really rinse it, as it will immediately melt and also wash away some good kava components.
I'm thinking maybe something natural and edible, that could help kill the germs, maybe like sea salt, or lemon juice ?
But even if that works, I wonder if they'd have a negative effect when the makas are prepared.
Or anything else ?
My vote is nothing. If there was some bacteria or other contaminant on the floor that transferred it would be a very small amount and would not have a chance to multiply on a frozen block. That said a quick rinse in cold water won't un freeze the block in any meaning full way. Last resort is what others have talked about and boil it.

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
Wouldn't it be amazing if we found out that kava itself was antimicrobial ?
And either bacteria run away from it, or they're instantly destroyed, upon contact with it ?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Wouldn't it be amazing if we found out that kava itself was antimicrobial ?
And either bacteria run away from it, or they're instantly destroyed, upon contact with it ?
Ohh we all wish, however that's not exactly the case. Here's some research on the bacterial content of refrigerated traditionally prepared kava beverages.

Dong, J., P. Kandukuru, A. S. Huang, and Y. Li. 2011. “PCR-DGGE Analysis of Bacterial Community Dynamics in Kava Beverages during Refrigeration.” Letters in Applied Microbiology 53 (1): 30–34. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1472-765X.2011.03065.x.

Open access document: https://sfamjournals.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/j.1472-765X.2011.03065.x

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
Its always a dilemma when you drop something you really want - just now I dropped the last longan fruit on the floor where the dog had been sleeping moments before, and paused to consider, before eating it. I would just rinse the makas and not worry too much, unless the dirty floor was in an asian bus station toilet or something. Not to be facetious in any way - but some of the hygeine practices in kava prep in most kava bars and villages in Vanuatu are pretty terrible by western standards (no washing of anything for years) and I never got sick during about 2000 nights imbibing there.

KavaKween

Kava Curious
Wipe it with a dry paper towel, back to the freezer, pretend it didn't happen and enjoy! ::chugger::

It's a sin to waste good kava just because a few germs may kill you :ROFLMAO:

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
So I added a bunch of things known to be antibacterial, to try to cover all my bases, and I survived.
It tasted terrible, from all the additives, but then again kava usually tastes terrible to me ;)
And the effects were not too bad

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
Its always a dilemma when you drop something you really want - just now I dropped the last longan fruit on the floor where the dog had been sleeping moments before, and paused to consider, before eating it.
Just curious, is the "longan" you refer to, the "euphoria longan" plant ?
Also curious where you obtain yours from
I've been wanting to learn more about this thing

Last edited:

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
Just curious, is the "longan" you refer to, the "euphoria longan" plant ?
Also curious where you obtain yours from
I've been wanting to learn more about this thing
Hi - I think "euphoria" longan is a newish name used mainly in the US - the fruit tree is dimocarpus longan and is just known as 'longan' or 'lamyai' in Asia, where I live. They are related to lychee and rambutan. I've heard that people are starting to grow commercial amounts in the US though. The only euphoria I can think of from them is a noticeable sugar rush when you eat over a pound or so.

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
Hi - I think "euphoria" longan is a newish name used mainly in the US - the fruit tree is dimocarpus longan and is just known as 'longan' or 'lamyai' in Asia, where I live. They are related to lychee and rambutan. I've heard that people are starting to grow commercial amounts in the US though. The only euphoria I can think of from them is a noticeable sugar rush when you eat over a pound or so.
Aha, nothing like adding the word "Euphoria" to a botanical name, for an extra marketing boost !
It actually sounds natural and botanical, and latin-sounding, due to the ending of vowels on each word : Euphoria Longana !
That's actually how it was listed in the ingredients in the first product I bought, with that inside