What's new

Ears ringing

Status
Not open for further replies.

chandra

Kava Enthusiast
I had my normal morning cup of Kava, but I decided to mix it with some instant tea. Now my ears are ringing really bad. This normally happens when I take to much asprin, drank too much alcohol, or back in my wilder days when I did a good line of meth. Could the tea have potentiated the Kava? I noticed citric acid was one of the first ingredients. I feel good, just a little concerned by my ears ringing.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
It's normal for your ears to start ringing temporarily if a good heady rush of kava starts flowing through you.
It's a good thing. The hot tea could have kicked it in, hot ramen broth usually does it for me.
xenchugger.gif

blindy107

Kava Lover
Kava makes my ears ring very intensely for a few minutes with headier varieties. Haven't experimented with hot tea in addition though. Sounds like it's working for you?

Jana

Kava Enthusiast
What kind of tea was it? I was thinking about having a cup of chamomile tea last night (sans Kava) and found something interesting upon doing some research, although it might be obvious to most people here on the forums:

The general consensus within the field of herbal interactions is that you will experience a heightened sedative effect when combining any other herbal sedative with Kava.

Was it just regular black tea? Maybe the caffeine has something to do with it? I've read that tea contains significantly more caffeine than coffee.

Stimulants: (coffee, kola nut, máte, guaraná)

Unfortunately, there isn’t too much information available with regard to the safety of combining Kava with herbal stimulants or their interactions. But, generally speaking, it’s unwise to combine kava kava with any herbal stimulant, and probably any synthetic stimulant as well. Quite generally – it’s unwise and counterproductive to combine stimulants and sedatives, because of their counteractions on the same or relatively similar biochemical compounds [6]. If you’re looking for something to calm you down, you take a sedative — you don’t want to then take a stimulant and undo what you’re trying to accomplish.

For example, coffee and Kava probably interfere with each other and their relative performance. It’s quite possible that Kava aggravates dopamine or dopamine receptors, meaning that it interferes with its release [2]. If this is the case, then something like coffee – a natural substance that stimulates the release of dopamine [7] – will naturally compete with Kava because each is trying to do a different thing to your biochemical system.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
What kind of tea was it? I was thinking about having a cup of chamomile tea last night (sans Kava) and found something interesting upon doing some research, although it might be obvious to most people here on the forums:

The general consensus within the field of herbal interactions is that you will experience a heightened sedative effect when combining any other herbal sedative with Kava.

Was it just regular black tea? Maybe the caffeine has something to do with it? I've read that tea contains significantly more caffeine than coffee.

Stimulants: (coffee, kola nut, máte, guaraná)

Unfortunately, there isn’t too much information available with regard to the safety of combining Kava with herbal stimulants or their interactions. But, generally speaking, it’s unwise to combine kava kava with any herbal stimulant, and probably any synthetic stimulant as well. Quite generally – it’s unwise and counterproductive to combine stimulants and sedatives, because of their counteractions on the same or relatively similar biochemical compounds [6]. If you’re looking for something to calm you down, you take a sedative — you don’t want to then take a stimulant and undo what you’re trying to accomplish.

For example, coffee and Kava probably interfere with each other and their relative performance. It’s quite possible that Kava aggravates dopamine or dopamine receptors, meaning that it interferes with its release [2]. If this is the case, then something like coffee – a natural substance that stimulates the release of dopamine [7] – will naturally compete with Kava because each is trying to do a different thing to your biochemical system.
Try drinking Yerba Mate instead, it compliments kava quite nicely;
http://kavaforums.com/forum/forums/yerba-mate.154/

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
Ears ringing can happen.

Mi tekem wan shell, my ear is ringing. Mi kajem phone blo mi be hemi no ring... what the hell?

Ligermeat

Warm and Fuzzeh!
Interactions of Mate Kava:
Feeling too good.
-
Mate is more of an adaptogen than a stimulant in my opinion, and is a super amazing plant that all should try. Fuses well with Kava.
-
Sipping and adapting. Kava krunking.
Yeah, mate has ruined me for coffee. Coffee just give me that bounce-off-the-walls crazy strung out feeling, while mate give me the adrenaline rush minus the overstimulation.

I understand why some people may prefer streight caffeine because of the energy boost, but mellowed-out people would probably prefer mate, just because it's so much smoother.

Ligermeat

Warm and Fuzzeh!
If anything, coffee makes me feel like Johnny Cash, while mate makes me feel like frauline Maria dancing in the alps.

chandra

Kava Enthusiast
It was the Instant Iced tea. The powdered stuff that tastes like... well... not tea. Drank it again today and yep the Kava hits me harder when I combine the two. I believe it's because the tea contains citric acid and it does something to make the kavalactones more available. Something like that. Maybe I should try Kava with lemon juice and water to test my theory.

Status
Not open for further replies.