What's new

Eat something small before drinking kava.

aviavieu

Kava Enthusiast
Kava you have to drink on an empty stomach. 4-5 hours after a meal. But I thought half an hour before drinking something to eat a small half of a banana or a whole banana in general. Apparently, when you eat something, the action of Kava is milder and does not increase as much as possible. But might Kava not work at all? How does it look like?

Darcy Jay Strutt

Kava Curious
I don’t follow the rule of fasting 3-4 hours before taking kava usually and never have any issues with effects,(perhaps I am lucky).

I sometimes find that putting 3 shells of kava into my empty stomach brings a slight bit of GI discomfort so have found that having a small bit of something light,(like a salad, piece of fruit/veggie or cup of thin soup) before my kava is best.

i do find though that eating high fat content foods or drinks after drinking kava does indeed potentiate the effects slightly so have made eating afterwards a regular part of my grog ritual.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I don’t follow the rule of fasting 3-4 hours before taking kava usually and never have any issues with effects,(perhaps I am lucky).

I sometimes find that putting 3 shells of kava into my empty stomach brings a slight bit of GI discomfort so have found that having a small bit of something light,(like a salad, piece of fruit/veggie or cup of thin soup) before my kava is best.

i do find though that eating high fat content foods or drinks after drinking kava does indeed potentiate the effects slightly so have made eating afterwards a regular part of my grog ritual.
I agree, I have no issues with smaller meals before drinking kava however when I feel like I need a full on krunking, I do it on an empty stomach.

Yogini

Well... there ya have it.
For me, a small 'meal' has never impacted kava. Both before, during or after.

aviavieu

Kava Enthusiast
In my case, the food significantly weakened the effect of Kava by about 70-80% and the Kava worked delicately 1.5h after kava I ate a little ice cream and just before the Kava banana

Yogini

Well... there ya have it.
When I say 'meal' I'm literally talking about a few bites of fruit, not an actual meal. I've never had nausea from that.

ThatDankK

̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿'̿'\̵͇̿̿\з= ( ▀ ͜͞ʖ▀) =ε/̵͇̿̿/’̿’̿ ̿ ̿̿
I find eating some cheese to be actually potentiating if eaten a little before, after, or during drinking your grog. Especially pepper jack cheese, thats doubly potentiating for me

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
Food and Kava make weird dance partners. For me, food before Kava seems to kill the effects. Food after Kava typically makes them stronger (sometimes unpleasantly so). I've tried to find patterns but it appears to be chaos. One thing I'm sure of is that heavy eating before Kava is not a good idea. And spicy Ramen after Kava is also not a good idea.

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
A packet of Trafo organic coconut oil potato chips I find does nothing to reduce the effect kava has on me personally, just as an example, eaten either before or mid session.

Actually, my very best, most enjoyable java sessions and effects, have been on days when I have eaten a good meal several hours earlier, usually after having consumed ample kava before the meal.

It isn't so black and white this aspect of kava, varying between individuals Im sure, in my own experience and opinion.

I think the lightness and volume of the food consumed, pre-kava or during, may determine the level of mitigated effects.

Often times, due to extreme allergy, respiratory and digestive issues, it takes me hours to eat.

Often my preferred, euphoric and antidepressant effect if Kava dwindles, but if I top up with a 5 gram dose of instant, or two, I get right back into the full swing of the Kava experience, missing nothing, no matter hiw much and what I have eaten.

But....this is typically after a full enough kava intake prior to food originally.

Last edited: