What's new

El Manaro - Kelai

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
How do you prepare instant, Kapm? I have had instant nene and hiwa from gourmet hawaiian, they were nice, different from kava made by traditional prep for me. The nene I couldn't get enough of, and the Hiwa put me in a relaxed, sleepy mood, if I even had the tiniest amount. Hiwa prepared traditionally will not make me sleepy unless I have been drinking lots of it for a few hours, and I prefer it that way. Also nene is really strong for me when made from medium grind. Do you skip a trad. prep, have instant that night? or have both in the same night with the same amount of brewed root as usual?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Had a two teaspoon shell last night. It's definitely Kelai. Very light taste, but made up a thick shell. Effect wise was light, but I wasn't going for a head smasher. Good kava, and honestly I'm happy knowing my money went straight back to where kava originated.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I just got the Epi Kelai and the Malekula Silese instants and I am very happy with them. The Kelai is quite gritty but tastes fine and is quite heady which is not my thing but it's a good kava. The Malekula kava is awesome. I'm a bit of an instant fan and this ranks up with the best instants I've had, really numbing and sedative. It's strong too, I went with 2 rounded teaspoons per cup and was feeling that for a few hours, just needed to top up a few hours after with another shell with 1 teaspoon. All in all I'm very pleased with these.

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
I had some ancient, apparently rare now, Malekula Magik medium grind I bought from GHK in 2013.

I was just getting into kava October 2019, and still the Malekula had a uniqueness to it, kind of a nice, dreamy hypnotising effect, quite sedative but not flat like a Kadavu, I liked it a lot.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I just got the Epi Kelai and the Malekula Silese instants and I am very happy with them. The Kelai is quite gritty but tastes fine and is quite heady which is not my thing but it's a good kava. The Malekula kava is awesome. I'm a bit of an instant fan and this ranks up with the best instants I've had, really numbing and sedative. It's strong too, I went with 2 rounded teaspoons per cup and was feeling that for a few hours, just needed to top up a few hours after with another shell with 1 teaspoon. All in all I'm very pleased with these.
I think I have to concur about the Kelai. After almost finishing my first bag I have to say that it does have a good bit of grittiness, but is still an excellent instant kava. I'm excited to try the others now based on your report :)

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I think I have to concur about the Kelai. After almost finishing my first bag I have to say that it does have a good bit of grittiness, but is still an excellent instant kava. I'm excited to try the others now based on your report :)
Oh yes, I didn't need 5 teaspoons of the Malekula on top of the 4 teaspoons of Kelai! It took me to that floaty place and I had a good sleep.