What's new

Everyone's current favorite kava and the effects it gives you

IloveKava23

Kava Curious
Hey everyone, hows it going? I'm sitting out in the sun on a beautiful day drinking some melo melo from BKH. Got me thinking what is everyone's favorite kava, as I'm really enjoying this stuff.

The effects I get from it are nice euphoria but not super energizing, more a relaxing heady feel. Very pleasant and exactly what I look for in kava. So what about you guys? What's your favorite awa and what are you enjoying right now and what are the effects you get from it/desire from your kava? Have a blessed week everyone

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I've been really enjoying heavier kavas lately, I got some nambawan from BKH and it almost gives me anxiety. Not a huge fan.
I'm the same, heady kavas give me more anxiety, almost like a comedown effect with depression, etc. I much prefer heavier kavas but I have to be careful because I can feel a bit lethargic after a few days in a row of hitting the heavies hard. TKR used to do a heavier Tongan that was beautiful, my favourite kava ever but apparently he can't get it anymore. Other than that I'm a big fan of Hiwa, Wow, Kava Time Kadavu and a few others that just do the job really nicely.

PurimGrogger

Because "Shell Silverstein" was already taken
I'm the same, heady kavas give me more anxiety, almost like a comedown effect with depression, etc.
I'm having the same experience with many heady kavas. Have you found any heavies that still have a small bit of heady euphoric qualities, but without the edgy anxiety?? I know, we are all different...

Last edited:

Zaphod

Kava Lover
KT ambae is my current go to kava for knocking me out cold. Not very heady, and tends to give me some cobwebs first thing in the morning - but I have been sleeping like a zombie on this stuff. I have been mixing in a few headier varieties or starting out with something headier and then switching on nights where I don't want couch lock.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I'm having the same experience with many heady kavas. Have you found any heavies that still have a small bit of heady euphoric qualities, but without the edgy anxiety?? I know, we are all different...
I've been drinking a lot of more heavy to balanced style kavas or straight balanced. I find I can drink balanced to heady kavas occasionally too without too much problem. I like Mahakea a lot right now. If you're reacting similar to me then I would say definitely avoid heady Fijian kavas but try some slightly headier Vanuatu or especially Tongan kavas. I find my tolerance to those is a lot better. Loa Waka you would not like, that sent me into a very strange place but Pouni Ono was manageable for me. Most Borogu kavas are just about right in the middle but a lot depends on where it was grown.

VictoriousSpoon

Kava Curious
I haven't come across any kavas that give me anxiety yet; all 9 varieties Ive tried have anxiolytic properties for myself. So far, my favorite heady is the RoH Fijian- it is by far the most stimulating/clear headed kava I have tried, feels like strong dopaminergic activity.

Go Krunk Yourself

Kava Enthusiast
Fijan Waka from Squanch Kava is the strongest Kava I've had in a while and has become my go to stable. More heady then heavy but I find it "balanced" to my needs. Go to staples of the past were Tongan Family Reserve and KWK Borongoru. A lot of Kava has been quite weak to me lately but this Waka is consistently pleasant. The early batches of the Tongan Family Reserve were 10/10 then the quality diminished. That stuff was THE Kava for me but when the quality dipped with such a high price tag... nah.

IloveKava23

Kava Curious
For me the Melo Melo that BKH currently has is this exactly. Nice heady euphoria at first then good heavy body. It's not so much heady that it makes me anxious or uncomfortable like some other straight heavy kavas do, but still packs that nice euphoric punch

Mo'iety

Kava Enthusiast
I seem to be in the minority here I guess of prefering the headys. I've been really enjoying KWK Samoan because it has juuust enough of a heavy side to round things out. I usually avoid heavys - even having too big of a session with something like Loa Waka tends to give me lazy-morning the next day.

David H.

Kava Curious
Nambawan from BKH. Sadly can’t get any right now :( It relaxes me but gives me this body wide feeling of calmness and contentment. Like everything is gonna be ok. Despite the current chaos in the world.

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
Well I have been very dilligent recently in acquiring a lovely little selection and variety of different Kavas.

I love variety. I use the same amount of kava, regardless of how much or different options I have at hand.

I am really liking the GHK M'oi medium grind. It's very heady, but also fairly calming.

I have Palarasul from Kavasociety. Really like this one. Despite it's headinesx and almost complete lack of body, I don't find it to be jittery and actually an excellent antidepressant and anti-anxiety effect.

The Palarasul has an immediate effect on my mentality and outlook lifting it more positively.

I actually prefer the Palarasul to the Kelai, which packs slightly more of a physical punch and is almost more stimulating but also slightly heavier as well. Not to imply that it is more potent than Palarasul.

Palarasul is easier to drink than the Kelai.

I also was lucky to pick up, from a lovely uk-based forum member here- Kavatime Gourmet Savusavu.

Really enjoy the Savusavu. Very potent. Heady, but still surprisingly balanced and with a very nice long lasting effect of total mental and physical relaxation after the initial hit, without being too sedating, not jittery or restless either.

The smokey taste also comes through with the Gourmet Savusavu. I like it actually.

I tried Kavaroots Tongan Choice. Very pleasant. No edginess, lightness. Maybe not the strongest, with a more subtle effects profile for myself.

Plus last 3 days- Kalmwithkava Borongoru. Very different to the heavies. Fast effects. Definitely strong.

I have severe anxiety disorder, so wanted something heavier/more anxiolytic to mix with the Headier kavas I have.

But I also have long-term chronic fatigue and sleep deprivation and sedating substances can be very troublesome for me.

But after three days of using the KWK Borongoru, I noticed that the heavier more relaxing and anxiety reducing effects tend to build. I see I would need to bring these heavies in and out, daily usage would have me increasingly m9nged and chilled round the clock haha.

I also have unopened KWK Pouni Ono to try, and enroute Namaknalathome WoW, Solomons, Fire Island Instant, and samples of Stone. Excited for those.

We are blessed with a beautiful selection and variety of different kavas.

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
Pacific elixir from kava society is fire. It reminds me of the old school kavas. It's heady and has some "drunky" punch to it without being too heavy
That's so interesting. I have been thoroughly enjoying Kavasociety's different cultivars.

But the Pacific Elixir I enjoyed the least. Not to criticize it at all I'm sure it's a purely personal thing but out of everything I have been house it is the only kava I never actually consider using currently.

It shows again how different we all are and nothing wrong with that.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I currently have two from kalm and three from ghk also two from kavafied. I need to branch out and hit kavatime and nakamal at home and kava society. I'm a broken record but I still haven't been able to find anything that consistently matches kwk damu.
I feel you. Once you find one you really get into, it’s really hard to get back out. I just ordered a LB of Papa Kea at the behest of @Gourmet Hawaiian Kava ;)

I’m excited to try a new GHK kava after a long time. It’s been too long really.