What's new

Exercises for upper back pain between shoulder blades

Kava-noob

Kava Curious
First of all I want to say thanks to everyone on these forums for being so positive, friendly, and willing to help answer questions. I figured I would post this here, I've had upper back pain for 7 years now, I've seen doctors. I've tried physical therapy and seeing a chiropractor. I'm currently going to see a chiropractor again because I'm not able to get an MRI. It's a long story why and I don't want to go into it. it's kind of upsetting.

anyway, do you guys know about any stretches or exercises I can do that will help with pain in this area? The pain usually gets worse if I'm doing something to work those muscles, like if I'm doing dishes for example. I really need to motivate myself to figure out some kind of routine to help with this pain. it does make me sad at times which also leads me to procrastinate and just sit around. But I believe it's time that I take further steps to help this pain not be so bad anymore.

I also have issues sitting up straight, if I try to without any back support then I'll slouch because it hurts too much to sit up straight. You can imagine how annoying this would be if you're trying to meditate.

I've been a mess lately and I really want to reconnect to my spiritual self which is one reason why I started looking into kava. I've accepted that I might have to live with this pain for the rest of my life, but there's a lot of changes I need to make to have a healthier daily routine.

one thing that I'm going to start doing after work every day is taking a quick walk. I know I haven't been exercising enough and working a desk job from home doesn't really help.

I'm doing voice to text cuz I'm too lazy to type this all out in my phone, any advice or thoughts ideas, anyting is much appreciated. I know I can look up the stuff on YouTube and what not but I'd like to hear from anyone who has experience with chronic pain.

Thank you and Bula!

Krunked up Tong

Kava Enthusiast
I have the exact same problem! I felt like I was reading something I'd posted when I was reading it haha.

Been trying to figure out the answer for a while now. I have scoliosis which I think makes things tricky for me.

I find this stretch a good one:
With pains in general, I've found that strengthening the muscles is key. So a combination of strengthening and stretching is probably what's gonna work best. Finding the right strengthening exercises is what's tricky.

Good luck!

Krunked up Tong

Kava Enthusiast
I also struggle to meditate without pain btw. I've found that high back chairs with support for the upper back are helpful.

Also, if you work a desk job, you should consider getting a stand up desk and switch between sitting and standing throughout the day, that might ease it a bit.

Orz[EST]

Kava Enthusiast
I am a physio.

I think grab a stick, diameter similor to escrima stick, shovel or bo staff is good. Whack the muscles 100 times, should help.

Stretches you probably do (I recommend chin to chest while standing, put your hands on head as extra weight) but do also strength:

1. Rhomboid strength exercise (Google)
2. Serratus anterior exercise (Google)