What's new

Kava Dosages Experience, brewing technique, and variants

Mr. Jiggs

I've been on this site a few times now and found a lot of very useful information. I like that everyone seems pretty chill and supportive of individual exploration of kava and how it benefits them as a person.

I've been using kava for about 3 months after a trip to Hawaii. I found it very helpful for my anxiety. My wife was very impressed about the way it relaxed me and I was able too enjoy just being present. I'm usually a Go, Go, Go type of person and have a lot of difficulty enjoying the moment. I've been using Borongoru and Melo Melo, here main land. They seem to do pretty well, but not as good as the Maui Medicinal I got on Big Island. Though, I wonder if that was because I was new to the traditional brew. I would like to search out some of the strongest kava and would appreciate any suggestions on strains and reputable sources.

My brewing technique is 4 heaping table spoons of medium grind with 60 oz. of room temp water. Blend for several minutes. Strain through a strainer bag, massaging and squeezing for 10 to 15 minutes. The resulting brew is muddy and opaque and throat numbing.

Looking forward to your thoughts.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I've been on this site a few times now and found a lot of very useful information. I like that everyone seems pretty chill and supportive of individual exploration of kava and how it benefits them as a person.

I've been using kava for about 3 months after a trip to Hawaii. I found it very helpful for my anxiety. My wife was very impressed about the way it relaxed me and I was able too enjoy just being present. I'm usually a Go, Go, Go type of person and have a lot of difficulty enjoying the moment. I've been using Borongoru and Melo Melo, here main land. They seem to do pretty well, but not as good as the Maui Medicinal I got on Big Island. Though, I wonder if that was because I was new to the traditional brew. I would like to search out some of the strongest kava and would appreciate any suggestions on strains and reputable sources.

My brewing technique is 4 heaping table spoons of medium grind with 60 oz. of room temp water. Blend for several minutes. Strain through a strainer bag, massaging and squeezing for 10 to 15 minutes. The resulting brew is muddy and opaque and throat numbing.

Howdy welcome aboard, I would try cutting the water amount in 1/2 to 30 Oz before changing cultivars and to see if you notice any difference. Less liquid is usually better and it will make you pee a lot less, that is assuming you can stand the strength.

Kavaloloko

Kavaloloko Kava Co.
Kava Vendor

If interested try this! This is the strongest Kava we provide.

Mr. Jiggs

It went pretty well. I also used hot tap water. That made the brew hella strong but also very bitter. I was able to get 30 ounces of very strong grogg and an additional 20 ounces of regular strength brew. It lasted most of the day.
I'm wondering if using cold water will decrease the bitter taste, or if it was the strength of the brew. .I don't usually shell during the work week. I'm looking forward to trying it the week end.

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
It went pretty well. I also used hot tap water. That made the brew hella strong but also very bitter. I was able to get 30 ounces of very strong grogg and an additional 20 ounces of regular strength brew. It lasted most of the day.
I'm wondering if using cold water will decrease the bitter taste, or if it was the strength of the brew. .I don't usually shell during the work week. I'm looking forward to trying it the week end.
Warm or hot water does make it more bitter. One thing you also might consider trying is start with warmer water on your first batch, then with cooler water on subsequent batches. If you like to have longer kava sessions, this is the way I get it to kick in more quickly but then maintain from there.