What's new

Extracts? Lets talk about them.

Go Krunk Yourself

Kava Enthusiast
What are peoples thoughts about these extracts that are floating around on marketplaces like Amazon?

Amazon product
Amazon product
I also came across this which I've never seen before.

Amazon product
I have always been very much against Kava extracts and alternative forms of Kava due to the fact I think they are associated negatively with medical problems our community has had in the past but I am curious if anyone has experiences with such things. I am on a pretty extreme OMAD Keto fasting diet and I am avoiding the Kava consumption for the time being and I thought perhaps this could be a easier way to stay in a fasting state without all the root. Just a random thought and I keep seeing these highly rated Kava only supplements yet I've never heard them uttered once.(though that usually doesn't mean anything anymore on Amazon). The only alternative method to traditional prep I've really done is the Ozia candies which are fine as well.

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
I think if you check archives-- old posts, in these Forums, you will find discussion of extracts.
Extracts are just that (at least we hope) they are mostly kavalactones.
Not kava and not kava beverage. Kava beverage has some significant nutritional benefits and some trace benefits.
The vast majority--likely all that were actually proven--cases of liver issues in the early part of 2,000
were due to use of extracts/pills/capsules (health of persons using also) and what was in them, what was not in them, and how they may have been manufactored
and what raw material was used to make them.
Is this still true today? I doubt it since there seem to be no more cases reported.
Would it be better to 1- get dry or fresh ground kava root/stump from reputable souce and make your own beverage?
Or 2- move to one of the Pacific Island locales, grow your own kava plants and make your own beverage?

Hightide

Kava Enthusiast
I used lifechoice kava extract when I first got into Kava. I was happy with it at the time, I would take a dropper at work if I started feeling edgy. I felt it was pretty strong considering Ive heard bad things about extracts, that they are weak etc. It wasnt as strong as traditional prep, but it was a nice supplement and the effects came on fast.