What's new

Extreme dehydration of the skin

Go Krunk Yourself

Kava Enthusiast
So I know derma usually represents in dry scaly hands, but I had a unpleasant experience I'd like to speak about. For about 3-4 weeks I was doing Kava fairly heavy, especially for the last 10 days, I may have went on a bit of a binge and was pretty krunk during those 10 days. In that time, I slowly got drier and drier to the point where my skin wasnt producing oil. This has stopped me from getting new Acne (which was a huge problem of mine) but caused very painful eye inflamation that needed special cream and drops to get under control. (not the actual eye, but the eyelid and the skin around it was so dry it was like sand and red) I waited a week, the skin got a little better, I did a bit of Kava last night (Maybe 6TBPS hard to say) and I woke up again on the drier side then usual. The moisturizing cream that would of lasted through the morning on my face has worn off. My skin seems to just not be taking well to Kava anymore, yet everything else is fine. My nose used to be oiler then a bottle of baby oil, now its dried out nearly completely. I'm drink plenty of water, especially when I do kava, and I've never experienced such things in the past so any insight in how to get past this would be appreciated. It looks like I may have to quit Kava, or do it way less (such as once a week) but its a daily thing, especially in the evening for my anxiety, and is something I look forward to instead of drinking or doing benzos yet I feel like I'm being punished for it. Quite sad. Until my forehead and nose are oily again I know I'm dried out, its just not normal for me to be this dry.

FYI I don't have the best skin. I get terrible cystic acne among other lesions. I've been to the dermatologist many times but I refuse to live on antibiotics or accutane, which is what they give me as an answer.

Considering I'm already getting dry again from one day of Kava, couuld it be this specific batch? Makes me paranoid thinking mold or something. I did find the strain to not really shake well in the aluball, almost as if it was gumming up on the inside.

Last edited:

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
Yeah it can be the type of kava you have some are worse than others on specific people. I dont react well to fijian kava and get dry eyes from it same with mahakea kava i learned that the hard way lol. Borogu doesnt bother me skin wise unless i really overdo it and even then is nothing compared to other kinds

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
So I know derma usually represents in dry scaly hands, but I had a unpleasant experience I'd like to speak about. For about 3-4 weeks I was doing Kava fairly heavy, especially for the last 10 days, I may have went on a bit of a binge and was pretty krunk during those 10 days. In that time, I slowly got drier and drier to the point where my skin wasnt producing oil. This has stopped me from getting new Acne (which was a huge problem of mine) but caused very painful eye inflamation that needed special cream and drops to get under control. (not the actual eye, but the eyelid and the skin around it was so dry it was like sand and red) I waited a week, the skin got a little better, I did a bit of Kava last night (Maybe 6TBPS hard to say) and I woke up again on the drier side then usual. The moisturizing cream that would of lasted through the morning on my face has worn off. My skin seems to just not be taking well to Kava anymore, yet everything else is fine. My nose used to be oiler then a bottle of baby oil, now its dried out nearly completely. I'm drink plenty of water, especially when I do kava, and I've never experienced such things in the past so any insight in how to get past this would be appreciated. It looks like I may have to quit Kava, or do it way less (such as once a week) but its a daily thing, especially in the evening for my anxiety, and is something I look forward to instead of drinking or doing benzos yet I feel like I'm being punished for it. Quite sad. Until my forehead and nose are oily again I know I'm dried out, its just not normal for me to be this dry.

FYI I don't have the best skin. I get terrible cystic acne among other lesions. I've been to the dermatologist many times but I refuse to live on antibiotics or accutane, which is what they give me as an answer.

Considering I'm already getting dry again from one day of Kava, couuld it be this specific batch? Makes me paranoid thinking mold or something. I did find the strain to not really shake well in the aluball, almost as if it was gumming up on the inside.
I agree with Mr. Binx above, that the type of kava can be a factor. It might be my imagination, but it seems like headier kavas dry me out faster (might just be because I tend to drink them more frequently when I have them). Kadavu, for me, seems to dry me out less. Maybe you could try coconut oil? Both internally and topically?
@Krunkie McKrunkface may have insight regarding eye issues. I think you might be able to find a balance somewhere between a daily krunk and only once a week; but do what you think you need to. Garlic is said to have antibiotic properties. Maybe you can live on fresh crushed garlic :p

AlohaAimee

Kava Enthusiast
I'd say experiment a bit. Try different kava brands and prep methods. Get yourself some coconut water and add that to your daily liquid intake. Also, just in general amp up how much water you are drinking in a day. I treat the parts of the day where I'm not drinking kava as times where I really need to be drinking a lot of water! I also drink herbal teas. Also, make your shells weaker (add more water) so you're drinking more liquid to have the same effects. Make sure with your face products that you are using things with actual oils in them, not water-based.

Zaphod

Kava Lover

You should be aware that myself and others have had issues with dermo and eyes, eyelids, and painful styes. What you are experiencing is not that uncommon with heavy usage. If you really want to stop and get rid of the dermo it can take upwards of 2 weeks for your skin to fully recover and for the first few days it can get worse. Since switching to traditional prep my dermo is mostly kept in-check (versus microgrind) but it does still occasionally flare up. Nowadays I supplement with additional eyedrops when my eyes get scratchy (and switch to glasses vs contacts) and tend to drink my way through the dermo. Sometimes switching up brands, cutting back, or making sure to not drink as much sediment will help.