What's new

Feeling DOWN after Kava consumption?

TrevC

Kava Enthusiast
Greetings, everyone!
I've been taking Kava daily for over a year now, and to anyone on the outside looking in, they'd probably wonder WHY I still drink it.
There have been some days where the experience was very special - those times you just can't forget.
But those days are once or twice a month.
Lately, I've been getting just the "social lift", I call it, about 15 or so minutes after drinking.
This generally goes away all too soon (I feel like I get maybe 15 minutes of that sense-of-well-being, desire to be chatty, etc.).
I had started back taking K@, as I was back to square one (the way I was when I was LOOKING for an anti-anxiety, anti-depression supplement), and I didn't want to get on Wellbutrin or another pharmaceutical, so I started taking K@ again, but in MUCH smaller doses than previously. It was nothing to take 7 grams of that, but 3 grams is a serving for me now.
My routine has been K@ in the morning, Kava before lunch, and then the same deal before dinner.

I was one of those guys who started out really high on Kava before I ever felt anything anxiolytic or mood-lifting.
(One of my better experiences was with 40 grams of MeloMelo, knead-and-strain prep.)

My prep now is around 20 grams of Loa Waka in an Aluball, around 8 oz of water.
I'll drink that, then add another 8 oz of water for a 2nd wash.
Around 15 minutes in, I can tell it's doing something.

I've had some pleasant results with this, but lately it has been super disappointing.
It not only diminishes quickly - it leaves me feeling pretty in a lower mood than before.

So my question is... Is it possible that I'm at a place where I need VERY VERY little, to the point that taking more has negative side-effects?

I appreciate any help you guys can offer!

TrevC

Kava Enthusiast
Amlactin has helped with the (SUPER) ashy skin. I'm fine with the leathery feet.
I can actually deal with the dermo type stuff, in exchange for the mood-boosting properties Kava can offer.
It's just SO fickle.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
It sounds to me that you need a heavier kava. I and a few others that I know don't get on with headier kavas and really only can tolerate heavy kavas. If I have too heady a kava I can actually get a comedown effect similar to the comedown from mdma or amphetamines. This is even worse with Loa Waka or other strong heady Fijians. Interestingly I can drink heavy Fijians with no problems, Kadavu or Koro Island kavas with the dark, cocoa like chocolatey feel are great. I'm guessing you're enjoying the euphoria uplift from these kavas which, yes, does tend to disappear quickly. The buzz and lasting effects of the heavier kavalactones don't give the same comedown.

TrevC

Kava Enthusiast
It sounds to me that you need a heavier kava. I and a few others that I know don't get on with headier kavas and really only can tolerate heavy kavas. If I have too heady a kava I can actually get a comedown effect similar to the comedown from mdma or amphetamines. This is even worse with Loa Waka or other strong heady Fijians. Interestingly I can drink heavy Fijians with no problems, Kadavu or Koro Island kavas with the dark, cocoa like chocolatey feel are great. I'm guessing you're enjoying the euphoria uplift from these kavas which, yes, does tend to disappear quickly. The buzz and lasting effects of the heavier kavalactones don't give the same comedown.
I really appreciate hearing this! I did a precursory search for Kadavu and Koro Island Kavas but didn't get anything specific. Is there a trusted vendor you recommend?

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I really appreciate hearing this! I did a precursory search for Kadavu and Koro Island Kavas but didn't get anything specific. Is there a trusted vendor you recommend?
Kava Time do an excellent Kadavu but I'm not sure if it's in stock. Any heavy kava would be worth trying though. Maybe try Wow from n@h. That's strong and heavy but with a bit more headiness to it or the Stone which is just a blanket heavy.

Blue Roads

Kava Enthusiast
I get to feeling crappy after drinking kava sometimes. I think part of it is that I'm dehydrated, and I also take an extra bit of Theanine when I'm feeling like that.