What's new

Fiji Fresh Kava: new kava vendor

Kodiak

Kava Curious
Any word on potency of the 2 varieties currently on offer? Not too worried about discounts for the forum if the shipping isn't disastrous like KwK - glad to pay full price to support another good Fiji vendor.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Any word on potency of the 2 varieties currently on offer? Not too worried about discounts for the forum if the shipping isn't disastrous like KwK - glad to pay full price to support another good Fiji vendor.
I've got an order in for a lb of the waka. Excited to sample, and I'll be sure to review.

FijiFreshKava

https://fijifresh.com
Kava Vendor
TAX AND SHIPPING ARE INCLUDED.

I just received the HPLC results from Alkemist Labs, so I'm going to report using a comparison to Nakamalathome, who also used Alkemist. The results of the test are posted on my lab tests page, but here is the summary:

Total KL%
Nak - 'White sand' = 5%
Nak 'Wow' = 6%
Fiji Fresh - 'Kava Bar House Waka' = 7%
Nak 'Stone' = 8%

(comments: I don't know whether I believe the absolute numbers, but if you know these products, then you can gauge how strong the kava is relative to these products)

Chemotype:
The house waka is 462513, as measured using the Alkemist Labs HPLC. Kavain (2.0 %), Methysticin (1.9%), Dihydrokavain (1.5%) followed by Dihydromethysticin (1.2%) and other kavalactones below 0.05%.

Discussion:
Characteristic of Fijian kava, this kava is higher in methysticin with an almost equal proportion of kavain and methysticin. If you like high methysticin kavas, then this is probably something you might like.

I did not measure the Lewena yet, but this is coming from the same plant, so I would guess the chemotype is going to be quite similar with a somewhat lower overall KL%. I plan to measure it in the future but have not done so yet. I will send out a sample now if you (all) think it's absolutely imperative, but I'm going with the assumption that the characteristics of the lewena will be similar to the waka only somewhat less intense.

Last edited:

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
I did not measure the Lewena yet, but this is coming from the same plant, so I would guess the chemotype is going to be quite similar with a somewhat lower overall KL%. I plan to measure it in the future but have not done so yet. I will send out a sample now if you (all) think it's absolutely imperative, but I'm going with the assumption that the characteristics of the lewena will be similar to the waka only somewhat less intense.
Do you know what cultivars are included? The Fiji Quality Manual shows different chemotypes for waka/lewena from the same cultivars. I don't plan on buying the lewena so I don't know how interested in KL totals the lewena buyers are..

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
Lawena should have a slightly heavier profile/chemotype. The amount of kavain decreases as we move upwards. There is almost no kavain in the leaves or stalks and little in the upper part of the stump
I'd say it's more accurate to call the lewena weaker rather than heavier since low kavain/low KL% isn't what gives heavy kava the relaxing, sedating, muscle relaxing properties.

FijiFreshKava

Kava Vendor
Lawena should have a slightly heavier profile/chemotype. The amount of kavain decreases as we move upwards. There is almost no kavain in the leaves or stalks and little in the upper part of the stump
The Fiji Kava Quality manual has only one example where kavain is the main kavalactone in the waka, but not in the lewena. What I noticed from the manual is a tendency for dihydrokavain (2) and dihydromethysticin (5) to be relatively more abundant above ground indicating a left-shift of 2 (dihydrokavain) is more likely, as is a left-shift of 5 (dihydromethysticin). Following with that, the Lewena chemotype may be the same, or could be 426513. Many of the Fijian Lewena have a 4265xx chemotype.

Do you know what cultivars are included? The Fiji Quality Manual shows different chemotypes for waka/lewena from the same cultivars. I don't plan on buying the lewena so I don't know how interested in KL totals the lewena buyers are..
My import agent just returned from Fiji, so I'm going to try to get the answer about cultivars. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't have a satisfying answer, but I will see what he says. The measured waka chemotype 462513 doesn't match a single cultivar in the Kava Quality report (the report does admit that this is all a work in progress, so it may not be 100% accurate). The only possibilities with some combo of [4625] dominance are: cultivar-1) Vula Kasa Leka cultivar-2) Vula Kasa Belavu cultivar-3) Dokobana Loa and cultivar-11) Qila Leka. I'll try to get the best information I can and report back.

If the Lewena dihydro-dominance argument holds (dominant left-shift of 2&5 above ground) (4265xx), possible candidates would be Vula Kasa Leka or Qila Leka.

In any case, I'm starting to get the feeling that another HPLC run with the Lewena is on the horizon. This is all great feedback, so thank you.

Last edited:

FijiFreshKava

Kava Vendor
Some more info. Our Kava Bar House Blend is sourced from Savusavu/Lambasa but sometimes we also get kava from Rambi Islands. Exact subset of cultivars still pending confirmation from my import agent.

[Rambi/Lambasa is phonetic spelling of Rabi/Labasa. The written words get an ‘m’ or ‘n’ sound in speech. For example yaqona (kava) is pronounced ‘Yangona’.]

Edit 10/31/19:
As expected, our import agents have confirmed that the cultivars will vary from one batch to another. Therefore, we offer our kava as a 'House Blend'. For each shipment (approximately 1000-2000 kg), we will perform HPLC to determine the chemotype and kavalactone %. We will always perform testing on any new batch of kava we receive from Fiji prior to selling it.

Last edited: