What's new

Finer points of mesh sizes vs. effects/nausea while using traditional prep

Kavacus

Kava Enthusiast
How has the particle size of the kava affected you when using the Alu-Ball and traditional prep methods with various micron (?) sized mesh strainers? I have been getting more nausea from my Alu-Ball mixed WOW and Squanch (1 TBSP each in the 'Ball with 8-10 oz. water) when using that method. The screens seem like they have larger openings compared to fabric. Then I found a muslin sack from KWK (100 micron) that I used for my first batches back when I started-it seems this fabric filters out more particles so maybe I will be less nauseated. I'm just curious, I also have the nylon mesh bag from Wakacon but they don't give micron size of the thing...has anyone noticed how micron size affects their enjoyment of kava?

Bula,

Dave

Kavacus

Kava Enthusiast
It's much easier drinking traditional prep, worth the work to make it happen. I'm able to enjoy the shells much easier tonight...

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
I never get affected by nausea personally, but strainer micron size has a huge effect on next-day sluggishness/kava hangover for me. If I just use a womens ankle stocking (which lets a lot of fines through) for a quick, extra strong batch or two, I pay the next day. But if I make a 2nd or 3rd pass through a fine micron bag which takes out a lot of very fines (that looks like clay in the bag), I feel fine the next day.
Strainer micron size selection is a personal balance between strength and residual effects the next day.

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
I like a strainer with large holes. I don't have access to a lot of strainers so I use the nylon paint strainers from the hardware store and I like cheesecloth as well. The aluball is the finest screen I have used, it takes me 2 or 3 preparations of that method to have a drink similar to what I squeeze in cloth, though it is the smoothest option for me.
Though large chunks of root get through the large strainer holes, I have a general idea that the last sip of any beverage is "take it or leave it", meaning, that's where the sediment from my water pipes and my cat hairs tend to settle, and so too the large pieces of kava root that will fall out of me like sand in an hourglass, if I over do them. Sometimes it's the best though, seems like this has plenty to do with how hard I squeeze and whether or not I'm agitating the water in the bowl.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
Micron size affects my dermo levels more than stomach upset. I like to use an 80 micron strainer in the form of a nutmilk bag for perfect amount of filtration. If you are getting nausea from your kava it is more likely that you are sensitive to the strain than anything else. Mild stomach irritation can be due to sediment though.

Kavacus

Kava Enthusiast
Micron size affects my dermo levels more than stomach upset. I like to use an 80 micron strainer in the form of a nutmilk bag for perfect amount of filtration. If you are getting nausea from your kava it is more likely that you are sensitive to the strain than anything else. Mild stomach irritation can be due to sediment though.
Thanks, that makes sense now you mention it. Maybe the WOW does not agree with me, I don't know. I'll keep seeking a favorite...

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
Technically speaking, each type of grind will work best with a slightly different mesh count/micron size.
But in general most kavas can be filtered very well and produce a smooth and effective drink with a 75-80 micron bag.
If you prepare a larger amount, you may want to double filter (first run it through a 100-150 micron bag and then filter it with a 75 micron one)

Kavacus

Kava Enthusiast
Sooo, you are talking 75-80 microns now, interesting. I can understand the variety of material (kava) size could be all across the board, depending on processing. I'm having trad prep with my 100 micron bag from KwK, today, the last of my WOW and now Squanch. Spacing of shells is important too, I will space them out just a bit to let the kava do it's thing. Feels better to slow down anyway, and stick it to The Man! I believe The Piper mentioned the dread he felt coming out of Sunday and into the maw of the Machine. I also toil slavishly within that harsh world...

Hey thanks for taking the time to reply, I appreciate it!