What's new

Fire Island first try

kl.deon10

Hey guys. Received my shipment of Fire Island instant kava yday and tried it today (5 grams). Felt nothing. A little numbness in my mouth and lips but nothing much more.
I read the body sometime needs time to get used to kava. So I will definitely tr it a couple more times.
Also, I don't drink alcohol at all, and never smoked weed or anything. So I was kind of anxious to try kava, which could have played a role in this. But the thing is, my body doesn't react to a lot of things! Like Coffee, Yerba Mate, Theanine and many other supplements I tried in the past.
But anyway, I'm definitely gonna give kava many more tries, and I know this first try doesn't mean anything. Do you guys think I should up the dosage ?
Thanks ;)

kl.Project460

Kava Enthusiast
Welcome!
With instant kava I usually use 4 tsp per cup. And a "shell" is half a cup. So next time just pour about a cup of whatever you use to mix it with and put 4 tsp in it. Drink half now and then the other half in like 20 minutes. Its better if you space out the shells.

kl.deon10

Thanks for the welcoming and thanks for the response :)

I didn't have a chance to try it since last time (Work then workout, stomach always full), but I will tonight. I realized my Fire Island will end up finishing quick so I just ordered a 125g tin, one 500g pack of Black Sand (I heard its perfect for beginners and it comes with two large bowls too which are out of stock if you order them by themselves), and one 55g tin of Shaman Instant Kava (once I experiment a little bit with FI)

I'm very excited about this!

I am also a Newbie. So far I have only tried a cup of liquid with about a teaspoon of the Fire Island Instant in it. It has a very mild effect. I just got an order of lecithin yesterday but I have not tried adding the lecithin yet to see if that is helpful. I have found that the Fire Island mixes well with Sprite and also mixes very well with hot chocolate (not over 140 degrees though, so the kavalactones are not destroyed). I am mostly looking for anti-anxiety and relaxation effects. After I try adding the lecithin then I may try mixing in more of the kava. I would like to hear about others' experiences with this type of kava.

kl.rcoz

Kava Enthusiast
I don't think you need to add lecithin to instant kavas. I haven't had Fire Island so I don't know it's potency. I have had shaman and islandkava's Vanuatu instant. Both produced noticeable effects with a few shells at a tsp or two each.

Try it on an empty stomach. Sprite would work, I also like apple juice.

Overall I enjoy the non-instant root powder more.

kl.Project460

Kava Enthusiast
Ive never used lecithin for instant kava. Fire island is very good, uplifting and euphric and light, but still potent. To be honest, I never use soy lecithin anymore. I feel its a waste of time, but thats just me.

Also ozzie puppy, remember that kava is reverse tolerance, it can take up to 2 to 3 weeks to get the effects just right. Mine happened in about 3 days but im sure it varies person to person.

I'm a newbie to kava, and just got my first order from N@H - some Fire Island and Shaman instant. When I tried the FI, I was prepared for the taste to be a little rough, thanks to info from the Lounge. What I got was a strong soapy taste that was very hard to get down. My mouth did get numb for a while at the start, and I did get some effect - relaxing mostly. I mixed it with first some lukewarm hot chocolate, then cold chocolate milk, but the soapy taste was almost unbearable. I emailed N@H yesterday, right after my experience, but haven't received a reply yet. Like I said, I was prepared for some taste issues, but this just doesn't seem right. Has anyone had a similar experience? I still need to try the Shaman, and I hope it's easier to get down. BTW, I mixed the FI as recommended on the info sheet with the order, one measured teaspoon in four ounces of liquid. It's great to have a resource like KL, and I look forward to any input. Thanks!

kl.r3mote

Kava Curious
or tropical fruit juice - those "guava mango pineapple banana" juices that are mostly reconstituted apple juice concentrate and a little bit of mango puree. that's my go-to drink for all instant kava. I toss the instant kava in the blender, pour in the juice, and blammo.

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
ozziepuppy said:
I have found that the Fire Island mixes well with Sprite and also mixes very well with hot chocolate (not over 140 degrees though, so the kavalactones are not destroyed).
Hot Chocolate? Hmm, I have to try that. That actually sounds really good.