What's new

First time kava user, looking for some tips!

Justan

Kava Curious
First off I want to say I am so glad I found this forum! I have been lurking for a few days and have gathered enough knowledge to make me confident enough to make my first kava order!

My interest in kava started fairly recently. I have been quite stressed, and overall just pretty blah feeling. I can not do certain things I may like to because of my job and I have over one year sober from alcohol which I refuse to go back to. Kava seemed liked a good way for me to unwind and have a good time at the end of the day.

I placed my first order for some kava today. I am an impatient person and wanted it asap, so I ordered from Amazon. That wasn't before doing a ton of research though! I was originally going to go with Kalm with Kava, but I didn't want to dive in head first and spend a ton of money if it ends up not being for me. I ordered Kisa's Kava, as it was affordable and seems to be talked about pretty well on here. I know in terms of weight, it was the spendier option. I just felt the 5oz bag for $20 was a good way to test the waters without going overboard. I also ordered the kavafied strain bag.

They were both supposed to arrive to me on Sunday, but it looks like the kava will be here tomorrow, before the strainer! I am very eager to try it. So my first question would be what are some good, temporary alternatives to a strainer that I can pick up at a store?

My next question is in regards to preparation. I have read and watched videos, so I feel pretty confident in the kneading technique. Doesn't seem anything too difficult, just a little time consuming. I wanted to get the full experience, which is why I purchased the kava I did instead of instant or micronized. Do any of you have any tips, tricks, or techniques for a newbie that you like to do to make your batch come out exactly how you want it?

Thank you, and I look forward to my first kava experience!

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
You've ordered two great kavas. Be tenacious though, kava can be a little aggravating at first when you're looking for effects.

Fast for 3-4 hours prior to drinking, and use at least 20-30 grams per session to get a feeling for what it's going to be like.

Justan

Kava Curious
Thanks for the reply! I've been drinking the kava for the past two nights, tonight is the third. It was the first time for both me and my fiancee. We both have loved it and have gotten great effects from it, so I must have gotten a good kava and done it right

Kava-noob

Kava Curious
After reading this, I too am deciding to order some Kisas Kava as my first batch. I was also going to go with KWK but it is a little on the spendy side so this is definitely a better idea as a beginner. I may buy some KWKs strainer bags, they're pretty cheap lol. Then, if I have a good experience, I'll consider looking into KWKs stuff. I've heard a lot of good things about their Kava.

You helped me out just by posting your experience on it. Thanks :)