What's new

First time Mongrel Grog

yiki

Kava Enthusiast
I used around 200g frozen Makas and kneaded them with hot water (and later a bit of oil) in around 600ml of Water. The resulting drink was maybe 60% of the strength of a first preparation of 40-50g. I used a balanced blend of two kavas (heady and heavy) and it was very apparant that mostly the remaining heavy kavalactones were extracted since the effects were mild and relaxing. Overall a pleasant experience with slightly more nausea but not sure its worth the effort. I always do two washes and combine them the first time around, so technically this was the third wash. Seems like the makas are very "dry" now so i doubt i could get anything meaningful out of them now.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I used around 200g frozen Makas and kneaded them with hot water (and later a bit of oil) in around 600ml of Water. The resulting drink was maybe 60% of the strength of a first preparation of 40-50g. I used a balanced blend of two kavas (heady and heavy) and it was very apparant that mostly the remaining heavy kavalactones were extracted since the effects were mild and relaxing. Overall a pleasant experience with slightly more nausea but not sure its worth the effort. I always do two washes and combine them the first time around, so technically this was the third wash. Seems like the makas are very "dry" now so i doubt i could get anything meaningful out of them now.
I like to freeze kava as "mongrel" when it is only one wash in, I still use 2nd wash (sometimes 3rd wash depending on the kava) as the regular mongrel grog. It's great when you have a kilo or 2 and you are not immediately worried about running out. Think how nice it is when you remember you have some first wash makas in the freezer. Hell you can even get creative and add a little extra fresh powder to the makas going in the freezer.

TIP: Use a Sharpie to distinguish between makas batch in the freezer. I just mark them 1, 2, 3 for number of washes or 2+, 3+ and the plus is the extra powder. ;)

Szafirek

Kava Curious
Inspired by this thread, I made my first mongrel grog. I froze makas from several sessions. It turned into good strong kava with a normal consistency. I decided to froze it once more. This time kava was weaker and less dense but still worth it. This method is definitely worth using.