What's new

First timers game plan using fresh frozen

Hey guys! Wondering if you can help me figure out how to prepare some fresh frozen kava for 3 of us brand newbs. I ordered the variety pack of 1/2lb bags from Pu’u o hoku and am wondering how much to make up and how much water for 3 people? I know you need more fresh root to dry root...should I use a blender? any tips to make this an epic introduction? Thanks!

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Hey guys! Wondering if you can help me figure out how to prepare some fresh frozen kava for 3 of us brand newbs. I ordered the variety pack of 1/2lb bags from Pu’u o hoku and am wondering how much to make up and how much water for 3 people? I know you need more fresh root to dry root...should I use a blender? any tips to make this an epic introduction? Thanks!
I had some fresh frozen kava one time and I used a blender. It came out fine. I would use maybe 250g in 2.25 litres of water and then you've got 3 shells of 250 ml each that should be strong enough for you all to get something from it as it's your first time. As you get used to it you can definitely use less. You'll need to split it up into smaller batches unless you've got a massive blender! The only other issue is potentiation. Maybe eat something fatty after or during. I put milk directly in my mix as it helps me to use all of the kava as I drink it but that's optional!

Sorry, just noticed when you posted this! I hope it went ok?

Thanks Edward! I’m going to do exactly this and let you know how it goes! We drink a ton of whole raw cow milk, should I use some of that in place of the water? I also have full fat coconut cream...Appreciate the advice...just want to make the most of our first experience

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Thanks Edward! I’m going to do exactly this and let you know how it goes! We drink a ton of whole raw cow milk, should I use some of that in place of the water? I also have full fat coconut cream...Appreciate the advice...just want to make the most of our first experience
When I first started I did use all milk and it worked fine but I realised you can just use a quarter milk to three quarters water and it still works. I have found that coconut fat didn't make much difference for me.

@Edward So it just went down....All 3 of us felt SO good and chill. I made the 1/2 lb bag with 10 cups of water and added 3 tbsp coconut cream to the bowl. No blender though as it was broken. I also did a second wash with 2 more cups. It ended up being the perfect amount for us as we all met our limit. We did liposomal butters before starting to spark digestion and a bit of sushi ginger in between shells. Next time I’ll also have some pineapple. All in all, sooooo nice. Definitely hooked. Thanks for your suggestions, they were spot on!

Zaphod

Kava Lover
My first go around with the 1/2lb bags was a bit weak. What I settled on was 1lb (2 half lb frozen packages) put into the blender (ninja) and filled up which is about 8 cups of water. Blend for 2-3 minutes. Strain for the first wash then dump back in the blender and use half the amount of water you did the first time so ~4 cups and blend again and strain for the second wash. The stronger method was better suited for my drinking style. So 1lb for about 12 cups of water.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
My first go around with the 1/2lb bags was a bit weak. What I settled on was 1lb (2 half lb frozen packages) put into the blender (ninja) and filled up which is about 8 cups of water. Blend for 2-3 minutes. Strain for the first wash then dump back in the blender and use half the amount of water you did the first time so ~4 cups and blend again and strain for the second wash. The stronger method was better suited for my drinking style. So 1lb for about 12 cups of water.
Crazy how quick that good stuff goes huh?

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
For fresh kava, I’d say 1/2 pound per person minimum. 1 pound per person for something closer to Vanuatu strength. The high power blender, like Ninja, really helps a lot with fresh root prep…but I still knead it a little bit too after the blender. ::KavaChug::

Zaphod

Kava Lover
For fresh kava, I’d say 1/2 pound per person minimum. 1 pound per person for something closer to Vanuatu strength. The high power blender, like Ninja, really helps a lot with fresh root prep…but I still knead it a little bit too after the blender. ::KavaChug::
Agreed for a person who has 8-12TBS/night 1 lb of fresh frozen is probably closer to what you would end up drinking. I shared those lbs with my wife but I probably drank 3/4 of it.