What's new

Kava Side Effects FKB intake with micronized?

Pecorino

Kava Curious
I've been reading some threads about alcohol extraction, and at least one person - @Zaphod - mentioned that alcohol is "very good at extracting things", including FKB which we probably don't want to let into our systems in excess until we get more research. I don't know how much better the alcohol is than our bodies when it comes to extraction, but assuming that we aren't that far behind, isn't micronized kava bad idea, especially for daily use? After all, we'll basically eating the whole root.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
I've been reading some threads about alcohol extraction, and at least one person - @Zaphod - mentioned that alcohol is "very good at extracting things", including FKB which we probably don't want to let into our systems in excess until we get more research. I don't know how much better the alcohol is than our bodies when it comes to extraction, but assuming that we aren't that far behind, isn't micronized kava bad idea, especially for daily use? After all, we'll basically eating the whole root.
Short answer is there is not enough reliable evidence either way. All we definitively know is that water extraction has been used for years with no major ill effects. We do know that alcohol extracts will pull out KL and FKB, but might pull out less glutathione (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/13679089) which may or may not help protect the liver from FKB as opposed to a water extract or going full Monty and eating micro. I used exclusively GHK microgrind for almost 9 months - and had no ill effects except heavy dermo. Liver tests have consistently come back in the normal range for my entire kava drinking career. I much prefer medium grind and traditional prep these days.

Kalm with Kava

Kava Vendor
Zaphod is correct. But what's also important to remember - Noble Kava typically has much lower levels of FKs than Medicinal or Tudei kava varieties. From Schmidts analysis of 174 samples "FKB ranged from 0.02 to 0.12% in the dry matter of ‘noble’ kava roots, and from 0.15 to 2.49% in ‘nonnoble’ varieties, with the highest values found in the variety Bir Fok"
Additionally we at KWK have been including FK analysis routinely with our other standard microbiology, heavy metals, and pesticides testing. To date 90% of samples are undetectable for FKB coming in under .05%
Borongoru FKs.JPG

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Zaphod is correct. But what's also important to remember - Noble Kava typically has much lower levels of FKs than Medicinal or Tudei kava varieties. From Schmidts analysis of 174 samples "FKB ranged from 0.02 to 0.12% in the dry matter of ‘noble’ kava roots, and from 0.15 to 2.49% in ‘nonnoble’ varieties, with the highest values found in the variety Bir Fok"
Additionally we at KWK have been including FK analysis routinely with our other standard microbiology, heavy metals, and pesticides testing. To date 90% of samples are undetectable for FKB coming in under .05%
View attachment 10109
Excellent point. With supporting data....am I really on the interwebs right now?!?:)

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
View attachment 10109
That's good to know. I'm assuming the FK testing includes the extract used for the concentrate? Just curious how much that may vary from the whole root products.

Kalm with Kava

Kava Vendor
That's good to know. I'm assuming the FK testing includes the extract used for the concentrate? Just curious how much that may vary from the whole root products.
Great question SelfBias!
We actually have our extract custom manufactured because I wasn't happy with any of the methods or source material used for available extracts on the market. Our extract in the concentrate is the exact same kava we sell in medium grind and micronized, its a balanced blend consisting of Borongoru, Pouni Ono, and Borogu or Boronpoungu if you will [emoji1]