What's new

Flies attracted to Kava ?

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
I usually drink my kava outside, and every time that I do, practically, I become surrounded by flies.
It's really a problem, because they land on my cup, on the rim where I drink it, and even land on my lips.
I'm wondering if it's the kava, or is it something else ?
Does anyone else have this happen ?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I usually drink my kava outside, and every time that I do, practically, I become surrounded by flies.
It's really a problem, because they land on my cup, on the rim where I drink it, and even land on my lips.
I'm wondering if it's the kava, or is it something else ?
Does anyone else have this happen ?
Are we talking about those little fruit gnat flies? If so, and this might be an odd question, but do you use a nicotine vape?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I know the ones you're referring to, but these seem to be the "typical fly". And I do not use a vape.
Gotcha. The reason I ask is I found the fruit gnats are super attracted to e-liquid and those that vape get "visited" in the face quite often if they're around.

That's odd. I haven't had any issues with anything being attracted to the smell of kava, not even me :)

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
Ah, I find ants are quite attracted to Kava. They can find it very quickly, within seconds or a flash moment of setting down a shell or empty bilo. I am wary about using any honey or sweetner outdoors because of hornets. So far I mostly only bring ants to my kava ceremonies.