What's new

Floored by the Squanch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris1052

Kava Curious
Ohhh the nausea now lol, I'm about to see if I can hold down another shaker. Sometimes getting more kava on the stomach actually relieves my nausea.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

evrnd

Kava Enthusiast
Just tried Squanch Fijian Waka for the first time last night and it is EXACTLY the kind of kava I have been looking for! Most heavier kavas do very little for me besides eventually helping me sleep through the night but this stuff... OH MAN! Kavasseur described it perfectly in his last review: heavy but still heady without being sleepy. It's got a unique taste, too. Almost cinnamony?
I do have one question though (emailed Squanch already): My batch seems to have a strange, unnatural burnt plastic or rubber aftertaste. I don't smell it in the bag but I definitely taste it. Especially in the sediment at the bottom (lacking in the lingo, apologies). I have tried a lot of different varieties by now and I expect kava to taste weird, maybe unpleasant, peppery, nutty, etc but this didn't seem like something kava should taste like. I used my Aluballs and hottish tap water. I have used that temperature water (guessing ~110°) for brewing big batches using the CTAHR method but that is the only thing I can think of that might have an odd effect.
All that being said, I feel fine this morning and look forward to brewing up a bigger batch and double checking the temp of the water. SO GOOD!

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Just tried Squanch Fijian Waka for the first time last night and it is EXACTLY the kind of kava I have been looking for! Most heavier kavas do very little for me besides eventually helping me sleep through the night but this stuff... OH MAN! Kavasseur described it perfectly in his last review: heavy but still heady without being sleepy. It's got a unique taste, too. Almost cinnamony?
I do have one question though (emailed Squanch already): My batch seems to have a strange, unnatural burnt plastic or rubber aftertaste. I don't smell it in the bag but I definitely taste it. Especially in the sediment at the bottom (lacking in the lingo, apologies). I have tried a lot of different varieties by now and I expect kava to taste weird, maybe unpleasant, peppery, nutty, etc but this didn't seem like something kava should taste like. I used my Aluballs and hottish tap water. I have used that temperature water (guessing ~110°) for brewing big batches using the CTAHR method but that is the only thing I can think of that might have an odd effect.
All that being said, I feel fine this morning and look forward to brewing up a bigger batch and double checking the temp of the water. SO GOOD!
Among seasoned kava drinkers, sediment at the bottom is known as "sediment at the bottom."

Yes, Squanch tastes like something that puddles under a 92 Honda Accord that has been parked too long, but so what? When you are squoored by the flaunch, you don't care. Ice helps, and maybe some ginger beer to chase, maybe some coconut milk to add, and also don't breath in your nose, chug as fast as you can. I also flap my elbows like a chicken and squawk. It's all worth it.

evrnd

Kava Enthusiast
Among seasoned kava drinkers, sediment at the bottom is known as "sediment at the bottom."

Yes, Squanch tastes like something that puddles under a 92 Honda Accord that has been parked too long, but so what? When you are squoored by the flaunch, you don't care. Ice helps, and maybe some ginger beer to chase, maybe some coconut milk to add, and also don't breath in your nose, chug as fast as you can. I also flap my elbows like a chicken and squawk. It's all worth it.
You always crack me up. I appreciate that.
There is unpleasant kava taste and then there is out of the blue, unnatural essence of burnt tire taste. I am only concerned that something may be wrong and looking for confirmation that it's not. If this stuff tasted like eau de les excréments and I knew it was 100% safe (and preferably natural) I would drink it all day long.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
There is unpleasant kava taste and then there is out of the blue, unnatural essence of burnt tire taste. I am only concerned that something may be wrong and looking for confirmation that it's not. If this stuff tasted like eau de les excréments and I knew it was 100% safe (and preferably natural) I would drink it all day long.
fwiw Squanch is the worst tasting kava that I know of that doesn't have something wrong with it. And yes, a kind of acrid sour burnt tire taste with a soupçon of that white gunk that crusts up on an old battery. That's Squanch, alright. Tastes like driving past certain towns in New Jersey. Better with ice or if you blend with lawena.

evrnd

Kava Enthusiast
Tastes like driving past certain towns in New Jersey.
EXACTLY!
I just got a reply from the Squanch himself, too, so I'm good. And happy. So great.
What's funny is that the initial taste is actually one of the best tastes I've encountered so far. For kava, I mean. Unique, hints of cinnamon and maybe some woody somethingerother. Excited to open the Lawena, too.

Squanch72

Kava Vendor
It's just pure all Waka root kava placed in a shiny silver bag. I actually love the taste of this strain and actually it more than my Lawena taste wise.
I love your Aluball face avatar.

titworm

Created an account to reply to this. Recently received my 2nd batch of squanch, both lawena and waka and noticed that the flavor was drastically different from the first batch of waka I had a few months ago. My brain registered it as a soapy flavor rather than burnt rubber. I was concerned enough that I stopped using it and have been watching these forums to see if anyone else's experience matched mine. The waka and lawena both taste soapy to me. The replies here make me feel a bit better about it so I'll give it another shot soon.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Created an account to reply to this. Recently received my 2nd batch of squanch, both lawena and waka and noticed that the flavor was drastically different from the first batch of waka I had a few months ago. My brain registered it as a soapy flavor rather than burnt rubber. I was concerned enough that I stopped using it and have been watching these forums to see if anyone else's experience matched mine. The waka and lawena both taste soapy to me. The replies here make me feel a bit better about it so I'll give it another shot soon.
I did notice a soapy flavour to the lawena but didn't really think anything of it.

Squanch72

Kava Vendor
I work with smaller batches of inventory and restock just about every 1.5 to two months. So I personally notice a change in taste relatively often. But I have been working with the same strains for a while now. But I do expect and notice some changes in flavor from shipment to shipment even though the strain and its effects are still the same. I quite enjoy spending time with each new batch to see what the flavor holds for me. Though the taste change is more with the Waka, the last few supplies have had a chocolate almond milk mild taste to me with a kava sting in the aftertaste, just to let me know I still have to pay a price to the kava gods. You don't get away that easy lol. I don't notice a soapy taste with either though.

Last edited:

evrnd

Kava Enthusiast
I've noticed that what I described as the burnt rubber taste is not an initial one. I don't know how to describe it. Maybe an aftertaste? But I don't necessarily think it's the last thing I taste. Recently, it's been more of a burp -> "oh, there it is" kind of situation. I ordered 2lbs more, not only because I love it, but just to make me feel better that it is no different. My best theory was TX Summer Heat+Mylar Bag = New Jersey.

Status
Not open for further replies.