What's new

For those of you who've developed a tolerance, how long of a break did you take to reset/lower it?

RevRad

Kava Curious
I think I'm getting a bit of a tolerance to kava because 2 or 3 aluballs filled with strong kava is doing very little for me lately, a month ago or so, a single ball in a shaker could knock me on my ass. I haven't used it since Monday but wondering how long I should wait.. 2 days, a week, 3 weeks?

Zaphod

Kava Lover
I think I'm getting a bit of a tolerance to kava because 2 or 3 aluballs filled with strong kava is doing very little for me lately, a month ago or so, a single ball in a shaker could knock me on my ass. I haven't used it since Monday but wondering how long I should wait.. 2 days, a week, 3 weeks?
You will notice on occasion that using a particular variety for a while tends to make it lose a bit of its efficiency - but in general one does not develop a "tolerance" to kava. I have been using the same amount nightly for years (sometimes more, sometimes less but roughly the same amount) with no tolerance. It is the beauty of kava - no tolerance build up, and no physical dependence. My recommendation is to try a different strain for awhile, assuming you want to keep drinking it on a regular basis. I would never discourage someone taking a few days/weeks off if they wanted.

JohnMichael

Kava Synchronized
And make sure that your aluball is at least 80% clear. If more than 20% of the mesh is obstructed by the waxy remains, you need a new aluball. I run very hot water through the ball's mesh after each batch to ensure many months of use.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
If anything I've developed a reverse tolerance to it. I need a lot less than I used to. I do drink a different kava almost every night though so maybe that has something to do with it? I would say switch your kavas round a bit. I did go through a phase of not feeling as much from kava but that comes and goes and usually doesn't last long. Power on through it!

RevRad

Kava Curious
I use different kavas all the time, I've tried traditional prep in addition to aluball, no difference. The exact same bag is about 1/2 the potency to me that it used to be, if not less. It's 100% tolerance.

John Bytell

Kava Enthusiast
In the beginning for me, one aluball shaken for a min was plenty. Several years in it now takes 3 aluballs shaken for 10 mins to get anywhere near where I want to be. Interesting that most people do not have this experience. I have not found that not drinking for a few days or a week does much for resetting that....maybe just makes me appreciate it more. I'm interested to hear how many others have this experience...

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I use different kavas all the time, I've tried traditional prep in addition to aluball, no difference. The exact same bag is about 1/2 the potency to me that it used to be, if not less. It's 100% tolerance.
How long have you had the bag and did you keep it airtight?

RevRad

Kava Curious
I've had my oldest bags about 2 months now, the newer stuff from Cactus only a couple weeks. I always make sure they're sealed fully after squeezing out all of the air that I can.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I've had my oldest bags about 2 months now, the newer stuff from Cactus only a couple weeks. I always make sure they're sealed fully after squeezing out all of the air that I can.
Ok, it could well just be a phase then, I've gone through similar periods. Get some really strong kava like Stone from N@H or something from BKH and use double what you think you should. That sorted it out for me and a few days later I was finding things strong again.

RevRad

Kava Curious
Good news, I think this is day 4 or 5 off of kava, decided to try Cactus Lawena again today. Aluballed (2 balls) the hell out of it and it's hitting pretty hard again.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Good news, I think this is day 4 or 5 off of kava, decided to try Cactus Lawena again today. Aluballed (2 balls) the hell out of it and it's hitting pretty hard again.
Awesome. If it happens again I don't think it's the time off that helps, dose yourself up higher for a few days until it kicks in again.