What's new

fresh frozen kava aluball

does anyone know if you can use aluball for fresh frozen kava? I bought some but I wanna make sure I prepare it right. Is it the same as powder kava?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
does anyone know if you can use aluball for fresh frozen kava? I bought some but I wanna make sure I prepare it right. Is it the same as powder kava?
I personally wouldn't use the aluball on fresh. The particle sizes are generally much larger in fresh kava due to the water content and need that agitation and pressure of traditional prep.

_byron

Kava Enthusiast
You will need to use 4-5x the amount of green kava as you do for dry. The drying process losses 4-5x the kava weight

Zaphod

Kava Lover
So I have been taking the 1/2lb or 1lb fresh frozen, putting in the blender with ~8cups of warm to hot water and blending for 1-2 minutes. Pour out through a strainer bag and put it back in the blender for a second wash with another 8 cups. I started with just 1/2lb but I found it a bit weak for my liking. 1lb was a closer to my regular dry medium grind strength on a typical night.

I would not use an aluball. The aluball shaking action works reasonably well with medium grind as it mechanically washes the kava and you get a good result (but not quite as strong as kneading). If you don't have a good blender I would just go with a good strainer and knead it like a typical medium grind.

So I have been taking the 1/2lb or 1lb fresh frozen, putting in the blender with ~8cups of warm to hot water and blending for 1-2 minutes. Pour out through a strainer bag and put it back in the blender for a second wash with another 8 cups. I started with just 1/2lb but I found it a bit weak for my liking. 1lb was a closer to my regular dry medium grind strength on a typical night.

I would not use an aluball. The aluball shaking action works reasonably well with medium grind as it mechanically washes the kava and you get a good result (but not quite as strong as kneading). If you don't have a good blender I would just go with a good strainer and knead it like a typical medium grind.
Ok, I got a blender, should I put ice in the blender with the kava? I think the ice will grind out more kava better.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Ok, I got a blender, should I put ice in the blender with the kava? I think the ice will grind out more kava better.
I have not been putting any ice in the blender. I put warm to hot water to help break up the frozen kava. Once strained if it is too warm for your liking then I would add ice to your cup to cool it down.