What's new

Fresh Frozen Kava

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
As some of you may know, Pinner Creek Organics is an all organic farm that grows and sells kava as well as other culinary spices. Well I had the chance of purchasing a 10 lb root ball and offering it at cost to some of the members here who have made a huge impact to kavaforums. This forum is here to give them a chance to express their thoughts and reviews of that very kava.

I spoke with Dean Pinner, the owner of the farm, and let me tell you, he's a pretty awesome dude. Very interested in the kava community. Very invested in his crops, and really cares about what he ships. From what he sent me I can glean all of these facts without even knowing who he is.

This forum will be unmanned unless Dean wants to join in, but from what I can tell the life of a farmer leaves little if any room for online activities so if he chooses to just stick with producing awesome products, that's a-ok with me :D

He sells whole roots frozen and shipped. The kava is a 4-5 year Hiwa.

IT IS SPECTACULAR.

BULABUCK

ROOTLYFE.
Nice Kapm. I have been talking with him as well and he is an awesome guy. I have been looking to get fresh frozen from somewhere. I tried kanaka but they don't seem to be selling online right now. Hope I get to get a small amount from Dean. Odd coincidence, cool though. You're always on the up and up :D

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I cut up the roots and corm and put them into a food processor to pulp them. Looked exactly like Paradise Kava's frozen by the end of my chopping and pulping session. I then used the pulp to make a traditional batch of kava.

infraredz

BULA!
I was generously sent some of this as well and would like to say that it is absolutely divine. I haven't had the chance to give it a full go (by chopping it up and making it into a traditional grog) but I have chewed on the little rootlets and can only imagine what the "full" experience would be like.

Even chewing on the lateral roots (which apparently are the less mild tasting compared to the stump) is a very enjoyable experience. The taste is actually sweet and the texture is very fibrous and "stringy" but the juice is incredibly mild tasting. I would just chew on a little piece of root for 5min or so and not swallow the juice and it definitely numbs your mouth and you can definitely tell, even from a tiny piece of root, that you are chewing on kava from the nice relaxation you get similar to kava candy or PK's extract.

When I can, I'm going to try the chewing and spitting method that is common in some places in the Pacific where you chew the root and then spit the saliva into your bowl/shell and then drink the resulting grog after you've chewed enough. Honestly though, I can see why it's a much different experience because not only are you getting the kava effects from drinking the grog, but you are also getting the effects from the buccal absorption which is different compared to drinking kava the normal way. It's hard to explain, but the best way I can describe it is that you get a very mild, yet significant relaxation and it doesn't really hit you all at once like drinking grog normally does for me. Since I normally drink my kava all in one go, I can't really say if it's different from say, drinking shell by shell over a period of time but I would imagine it is pretty similar.

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
HI everyone, I can vouch for Dean, he is a friend of mine and he is a member of the Hawaii Awa Council and he has Certification for his organic farm, some say that there stuff is organic and that may be true but it may not, Dean is certified and you can look on line, he is the only one certified for kava and his other stuff he grows.
He is a great guy and you will never go wrong getting kava from him. To show you how active he is in kava, when we had Dr Xing come over here to the Big Island to give us a mini symposium on his finding in his kava research, Dean was there, this was an invitation only event and I only invited 25 people, 25 of the best people to help further kava.
Aloha.

Chris

endwatcher

Is there death before life?
Id be interested in buying a sample from you Kapm if you have anymore left.
Ive been wanting to pick up a 10LB'r from them but wanna check it out first

blindy107

Kava Lover
@Kapmcrunk how would one store this? What do you think 10lbs of fresh would be in dried medium grind? Seems like a smoking deal to me! Any other info worth mentioning kap?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
@endwatcher Hey man, unfortunately I don't have any for samples at the moment. I've got so many people I've promised a shell of fresh kava to that it's all spoken for. If you buy it, go ahead and buy yourself another food processor because undoubtedly you'll ruin it. The starch comes out of kava when you process it, and apparently forms some sort of physics breaking super bond to the plastic of your processor bowl walls.

@blindy107 1/4 lb is equal to the strength of about 50 grams of dried powder. It's hardly economical, but it's worth it. If you only try it once, it's worth it.

blindy107

Kava Lover
@endwatcher Hey man, unfortunately I don't have any for samples at the moment. I've got so many people I've promised a shell of fresh kava to that it's all spoken for. If you buy it, go ahead and buy yourself another food processor because undoubtedly you'll ruin it. The starch comes out of kava when you process it, and apparently forms some sort of physics breaking super bond to the plastic of your processor bowl walls.

@blindy107 1/4 lb is equal to the strength of about 50 grams of dried powder. It's hardly economical, but it's worth it. If you only try it once, it's worth it.

@Kapmcrunk so if my math is close it's the equivalent of paying 56$ a lb for dry but the added benefit of being fresh? Of course I failed pre algebra 4 years in a row. Hahah. I think about 200 grams to a cup of dried root so about 2000 grams per 10lb order of 250$. Not bad!

Thanks!

Oh and yes, totally destroys plastic! My magic bullet will tell you all about it.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Frozen kava is nothing short of a totally different animal. Completely different taste. More of a anesthetic green tea flavor. So easy to drink. You can taste the fresh enzymes not included in powdered kava. As I said in the FAQ, frozen fresh kava is something you need to try at least once.

Status
Not open for further replies.