What's new

Frozen fresh kava

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
As I understand it, you don't know what you'll be getting when you order, just what they have when you order it. I've ordered and gotten Nene, also Mo'i, but I imagine if it's Hawaiian and they have it you could end up getting Hawaiian Isa.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
As I understand it, you don't know what you'll be getting when you order, just what they have when you order it. I've ordered and gotten Nene, also Mo'i, but I imagine if it's Hawaiian and they have it you could end up getting Hawaiian Isa.
Ahh, gotcha. I do remember people ordering and receiving different strains than what were advertised. Strange way of doing things, but I'm not judging. At least they got their shipping issues ironed out.

Margaret

That's interesting and peculiar. Since I discovered their fresh frozen last year, they've only offered Hawaiian varieties. I had Hanakapi'ai and it said so on the website when I ordered. I periodically check their website to see the current offerings and the last time I checked (probably yesterday or Sunday), it let me choose from a list of three options (Hanakapi'ai, Nene, and Spotted Hiwa), all Hawaiian varieties.
That's good to know, Fait! i will keep an eye out and reorder when Hawaiian cultivars are offered :) Perhaps they were out of everything else, and that's the only thing that they had on hand that was fresh....but it would have been nice if they would have specified the cultivar on their website.

Kavacoordinate

Kava Enthusiast
Got my Spotted Hiwa last night. Very krunky I loved the flavor. I mean if you only ever had tried medium grind it is a completely new experience. My wife who hates the flavor of even the mildest kava has really enjoyed it as well and the cucumber water reference is very apt. I'm extremely sensitive to Heddie kavas. It has to be exactly the right sweet spot or I get anxious. That was the case with this for me but I caught it with a little bit of the kava fide Solomon, and the experience became very enjoyable. I feel a little bit off today. And what stinks is the freezer pack broke during transit for me. And I wiped off a sticker so it would be interesting to see if that was in fact Isa

Last edited:

Kavacoordinate

Kava Enthusiast
So I think the issue with the website is if you try and order off of mobile it will lock in on one cultivar. I actually spoke to them about the fact that they were having issues this week. Because I originally wanted to order Nene and the only thing that I could see was hiwa. So you can even contact them if you want to order a specific cultivar. As of today I think they have three available

Kavacoordinate

Kava Enthusiast
Second night in a row drinking this stuff and then chasing it with about 4 oz of kavafied lapita. @Krunkie McKrunkface this is definitely a full spectrum experience. Great head effects. The tension release all throughout the head and neck area. And I'm actually getting really good washes on what looks to be 4 tablespoons obviously it's a little different when it's frozen because you just chopping off chunks. but using the blender and then just straining it. Rather than hand kneading after that. it's really cool because it seems to be going a lot further than I anticipated it would.

Last edited:

kilakila

Kava keeps me going.
I finally got around to trying the frozen Nene I ordered back in January, I think. No funky smell (I was worried the kava had defrosted and was spoilt), and the refreshing smell and taste of cucumber hit me straight away. Lovely kava, very gentle relaxation and no sedation until night time when I slept really well. I ordered some more last week and once again everything had melted - the double packed ice pack and the kava was not even cold. I got the pack within two days of shipping but I was a hot day and even though I got to the mailbox straight away I obviously was too late to save it. I mixed up a batch but the smell was definitely off - funky, almost moldy smell, and no delicious cucumber notes. Sadly it went in the trash. Didn't want to take any chances with getting sick - got a hectic and stressful time ahead of me.

However, I did love the effects from the first batch I tried, so I may splurge and get the one day shipping AND wait until we have cooler temperatures.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
Can't remember if I used "cucumber water" to describe the flavor in my Video Review, but that is perfect. It's like someone mixed coconut water and cucumber water together.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Can't remember if I used "cucumber water" to describe the flavor in my Video Review, but that is perfect. It's like someone mixed coconut water and cucumber water together.
Cucumber water is definitely the best I can describe it, I do get a little hint of sweetness like you were mentioning in your video too.
It was fun to watch you guys back at it, mixing in the park. Can't believe you were only using a few spoons of fresh root for the both of you guys. I need to mix the whole pound and drink it all myself...and I still barely feel anything worthwhile with that stuff. I feel like it's gotta be in the 2-3 % kavalactone range. ::kavaleaf::

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
We used about 3/4 of a pound. The video was just the first Tanoa.
Have you tried the fresh Isa? I think that would probably suit me better.::chugger::
I wish we could get some proper 5 year old Vanuatu plants fresh/frozen, I'd like it if some Melanesian cultivar/cuttings started making their way to Hawai'i, then we could probably get some. :hungry:

Last edited:

Kavacoordinate

Kava Enthusiast
I finally got around to trying the frozen Nene I ordered back in January, I think. No funky smell (I was worried the kava had defrosted and was spoilt), and the refreshing smell and taste of cucumber hit me straight away. Lovely kava, very gentle relaxation and no sedation until night time when I slept really well. I ordered some more last week and once again everything had melted - the double packed ice pack and the kava was not even cold. I got the pack within two days of shipping but I was a hot day and even though I got to the mailbox straight away I obviously was too late to save it. I mixed up a batch but the smell was definitely off - funky, almost moldy smell, and no delicious cucumber notes. Sadly it went in the trash. Didn't want to take any chances with getting sick - got a hectic and stressful time ahead of me.

However, I did love the effects from the first batch I tried, so I may splurge and get the one day shipping AND wait until we have cooler temperatures.
Did you let Tyler know?