What's new

Frozen kava bag left out overnight

ThePiper

Kava Lover
I left unopened frozen kava on my counter over night. Is it OK to use? It sat out for at least 16 hours and was solid before

ThePiper

Kava Lover
Is their any smell or indication of whether it's good or bad? It's a whole unopened half lb. Has anyone actually gotten sick from drinking kava that was left out?

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
Is their any smell or indication of whether it's good or bad? It's a whole unopened half lb. Has anyone actually gotten sick from drinking kava that was left out?
Seriously spoiled kava can have a sour and "off" taste/smell. However, it's possible for the kava (or any other food) to be unsafe for consumption even if it smells fine.

In general, ask yourself this question: would you eat icecream that melted and sat at room temp for 16 hours? Or a meal that was left sitting on the counter for 16 hours?

There is nothing in raw kava pulp that prevents it from spoiling. It has a neutral ph and no preservatives.

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
I would drink it. Probably the same as coffee that has sat out since the morning before.
There is a difference between old coffee and raw kava. When coffee was brewed it was effectively sterile. Raw kava has a very high total plate count. If clean etc it shouldn't have any dangerous pathogens, but still can end up having a fairly high microbial load after so many hours at room temp and it can upset one's stomach.

I'd say it's a bit of a gamble.

Jerome

Kava Lover
There is a difference between old coffee and raw kava. When coffee was brewed it was effectively sterile. Raw kava has a very high total plate count. If clean etc it shouldn't have any dangerous pathogens, but still can end up having a fairly high microbial load after so many hours at room temp and it can upset one's stomach.

You're right. I thought about that after i said it. That being said, I would still drink it, but i cannot recommend in good conscience you do so yourself.

I was told not to drink from a beautiful, and what i thought would be safe spring once, i did anyways, and spent three days looking like a Technicolor fountain.

But... Man, kava being as expensive as it is these days, I'd chug it.

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
You can get these, genuine, legitimate, "Electromedicine" devices which genuinely work to safely kill and eliminate harmful microbes from the body without harming the body's tissues in any way.

It is an age-old technology developed originally by by Raymond Rife, who is the very early 1900s discovered a perfect cure for every type of cancer using bio resonance frequencies.

His work and laboratory was destroyed by the the drug companies etc.

Dr Hulda Clark was a later influencer, she developped the common "Zapper" technology which is much easier to apply and use than the rife machines which are by all Accords excellent depending on the model especially for cancer treatment.

However some of these models have been adapted to treating food items and zapping out all of the harmful microbes in a fairly short space of time I have seen one particular Instagram account called hulda Clark or hulda Clark zapper.

They sell a product which I have no reason to believe is illegitimate called the "food zapplicator" onto which you place a plate of food to eliminate all potential harmful microbes.

Sorry I realise that may be useful comments right now but I felt it was worth mentioning because something like this if legitimate indeed could be worth keeping around for occurences.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
In general, ask yourself this question: would you eat icecream that melted and sat at room temp for 16 hours? Or a meal that was left sitting on the counter for 16 hours?

There is nothing in raw kava pulp that prevents it from spoiling. It has a neutral ph and no preservatives.
That depends... Does the ice cream cost $25 a tub? lol.

But seriously, my thinking was that its a plant product (root) like potatoes, which can sit out for long periods and be fine. I believe ROH used to say that the product was pasteurized before it was packaged. I got this from the ranch so it's the same source. If this is true, wouldn't the microbe content be minimal until i opened it?

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
That depends... Does the ice cream cost $25 a tub? lol.

But seriously, my thinking was that its a plant product (root) like potatoes, which can sit out for long periods and be fine. I believe ROH used to say that the product was pasteurized before it was packaged. I got this from the ranch so it's the same source. If this is true, wouldn't the microbe content be minimal until i opened it?
Whole unpeeled potatoes,carrots or kava roots can indeed last for a bit (though kava oxydises quickly). But once you mince them/add water, freeze and defrost then that's another story.

Def not pasteurised. Maybe washed with some disinfectant. But it is still a raw product.

kavamehameha

Magnum's 'awa drinking bird
You can get these, genuine, legitimate, "Electromedicine" devices which genuinely work to safely kill and eliminate harmful microbes from the body without harming the body's tissues in any way.
Sorry, but none of this crap you mention is genuine or legitimate in any sense. According to scientific studies (and simple common sense), none of this works, and in the worst case it could be harmful (google and you shall find). Stay away from this "alternative medicine", esoteric stuff.

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
Sorry, but none of this crap you mention is genuine or legitimate in any sense. According to scientific studies (and simple common sense), none of this works, and in the worst case it could be harmful (google and you shall find). Stay away from this "alternative medicine", esoteric stuff.
Well you show how very very little you actually know about this topic. Using electrical current to kill microbes is solidly and firmly established by science.

It has even been patented by the mainstream medical establishment, but the procedure involved removing the blood from the body, electrocuting it and then returning it.

Have you not heard of the incredible work of Royal Raymond Rife and John Crane?

Later in, Bob Beck adapted the allopathic blood electrification procedure so that the blood could be safely electrocuted INSIDE the body.

These devices absolutely DO work. I know. I would honestly not be alive without them, or at the least living would be unsufferable as my immune system was destroyed by Lyme Disease. I have very quickly lowered and cured extremely severe respiratory infections using electromedicine.

I honestly can't actually speak for the Food Zapplicator, but I have no reason to doubt it- this technology works, plain and simple, and is proven by science and practise.

Maybe you are just open minded enough to actually look at the science itself?

kavamehameha

Magnum's 'awa drinking bird
Using electrical current to kill microbes is solidly and firmly established by science.
this technology works, plain and simple, and is proven by science and practise.
This is not true. The absolute majority of scientists refers to these things as "alternative medicine". There are only few studies (clinical trials) on this, but those which I found couldn't detect any beneficial effects. At least I also couldn't find any statements that these techniques are harmful, so yes, maybe they are worth a try (although personally I wouldn't dare to).

Have you not heard of the incredible work of Royal Raymond Rife and John Crane?
As an example:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Rife :
Rife's claims about his beam ray could not be independently replicated, and were discredited by independent researchers during the 1950s.
Scientific study: https://acsjournals.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.3322/canjclin.44.2.115
After careful study of the literature and other information available toit, the American Cancer Society has found no evidence that treatment withthe devices mentioned in this review results in objective benefit in thetreatment of cancer in human beings. Lacking such evidence, the AmericanCancer Society strongly urges individuals with cancer not to seek treatmentwith such devices.

Maybe you are just open minded enough to actually look at the science itself?
Well, being a scientist myself, I'm open minded for actual science. After some research, I couldn't find any scientific study published in any trustworthy (peer-reviewed) journal which proves (or at least somehow indicates) that these devices and therapies work. If you happen to know any, please share.

The article of Dr. Steven Haltiwanger you linked is not a journal article. Anyone could sit down and write a text like this. Again I did some research and found out that this doctor is a self-proclaimed "electrotherapist" following the techniques of the above mentioned Royal Rife, and he only appears on sites which promote these therapy techniques. There are no independent sites writing about him, which is always a bad sign from my experience.

I'm happy if these therapies didn't harm you and even helped you in some way. I wish you all the best. But please be aware that, nonetheless, there do not exist any serious scientific studies which confirm the effectiveness of these techniques and devices.

To anyone reading this: Please be careful, do your own research, and discuss everything with your doctor.

(Please don't feel offended that I won't discuss this topic further, but we're already far off-topic, and really there isn't more I could say on this.)

Last edited:

ThePiper

Kava Lover
This Hulda Clark lady seems like a real nutjob. Arrested for fraud and claimed all cancer is caused by a single type of water parasite from Asia.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
I left unopened frozen kava on my counter over night. Is it OK to use? It sat out for at least 16 hours and was solid before
Just a thought - If you don't want to risk it you could boil it. I can't say I have ever boiled fresh kava but if it is between tossing it and boiling it I would give it a shot. Personally, if I wasn't travelling in the next few days I would go for it.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
I might be wrong, but doesn't boiling destroy most of the kavalactones?
Jury is still out on that one...my experience is that hot water, and even boiling makes a wicked strong bitter grog. Chris from GHK even has a youtube video making a strong kava drink by boiling. I personally don't like it but have done it with dried kava. My guess is that any kavalactones that are destroyed is more than overcome by higher extraction. Again if it is between throwing it out and boiling I would boil it and save what I could.

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
Jury is still out on that one...my experience is that hot water, and even boiling makes a wicked strong bitter grog. Chris from GHK even has a youtube video making a strong kava drink by boiling. I personally don't like it but have done it with dried kava. My guess is that any kavalactones that are destroyed is more than overcome by higher extraction. Again if it is between throwing it out and boiling I would boil it and save what I could.
I think the effect profile is altered. And it makes perfect logical sense.

I have only been known to Kava since last October, but medical cannabis and the science of cannabinoids as medicines for decades.

Since diving head first into daily Kava drinking of many cultivars, from all my expeirnece and research, I have seen a number of interesting similarities between Kavalactones and Cannabinoids, in terms of variety and contrasting effects especially.

For me, hot not boiling water (seems) to make noticeably harder hitting kava, whatever method.

I get more sedation, also more nausea.

Recently, I have put 40 grams mixed rine root into a strainer bag. Shake lots in a jar.

Strain, refil, less water, with hot water. Shake briefly and leave to sit submerged for several hours.

Until I finish the first 40 gram wash lol.

So that I get the best of both worlds. The bag shake- it is very potent. The 2nd wash is almost as thick as the first, unlike Aluballs IME.

Oh yes, sorry, my OG simple point. It may simpky be the case just like cannabinoids that differemt Kavalactones are extracted at different temperatures.

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast

Hi Henry. Thanks again for sparing time to share your highly appreciated and seemingly solid wisdom and knowledge.

You triggered a random memory- raw olives. I got into them one time, these delicious, chocolatey black Peruvian ones.

And you know what- my batch was contaminated with fungus- aspergilllus Niger? Was confirmed by the company testing.

So yes, you have to be careful sure. Not had any known issue ever besides that fortuntaely, and I'm pretty relaxed about things too.

Oh Henry, I'm so excited and really looking forward to my Kelai arriving!

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
I boil it if it's suspect. Boiling kills germs and bacteria. It does not always make water safe, however, if I find some Kava that sat in the fridge for a week or was left out overnight, heating it up restores flavor and authenticity, similar to how storing a cigar nub in a humidor restores the tobacco leaves to the optimum humidity.